By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I know why the Switch OLED is more expensive

Source

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network

...........yay?

Distracted from a stupid match, that I got my facts wrong, there was a brightness sensor before.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

You didn't explain why it's more expensive though. Clickbait title?

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

So you're saying that Nintendo could have given the Switch an OLED screen for the same price all along, but moving the brightness sensor from the face of the unit to the top was such a costly process (hundreds of millions into research and development) is what drives up the price?

I'm no hardware expert, so it checks out with me.

Around the Network

I'll tell you the real reason why it's more expensive.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I wouldn't be surprised if they release a Switch Pro next holiday for $400 and releasing Switch OLED this year at $350 could soften that blow. That could be a reason why it costs more than the regular Switch.

Whew! Glad to know I don't need to fork out more money for a mid-gen upgrade. This is completely skipable, but great for anyone who doesn't have a Switch yet.

nah. OLEDs are just more expensive man.
also screen is larger, and i belive the chassis and dock is metal now?

BraLoD said:

It's more expensive because Nintendo know people will pay what they charge regardless.

Just like $70 for first party titles or $10 for a patch other companies just update for free.