By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - 'Heartbreaking' conditions in US migrant child camp

snyps said:

Simple: deport the kids with the parents.

What the hell were they thinking? Imprisonments no life at all.

Just release them all into the streets. At least they’ll be free and shit will sort itself out.

These facilities are typically used to house unaccompanied minors until they are able to be joined with family in the US, or returned to their home country. As for the "release them into the streets" suggestion, I hope that is sarcasm because we are talking about children here. 

Around the Network
sundin13 said:
snyps said:

Just release them all into the streets. At least they’ll be free and shit will sort itself out.

These facilities are typically used to house unaccompanied minors until they are able to be joined with family in the US, or returned to their home country. As for the "release them into the streets" suggestion, I hope that is sarcasm because we are talking about children here. 

Oh right, forgot we were talking about kids there for a moment. This needs a nationwide call to foster then. If the news actually did it’s job, this would be a talked about like a national crisis. 

sundin13 said:
snyps said:

Not sure how often you've been to Mexico but I've been a lot. I don't mean the tourist attractions either. I mean real Mexico. Children on the streets is very very common. I think a lot of Americans would be shocked at how common children living on the streets is. In my home country children are on the streets washing windows like the adult homeless do here except it's kids not adults.

I honestly don't know what the solution is to all of this. I know the media never talking about it and hiding it for Biden is not helping these kids that's for sure.

snyps said:
sundin13 said:

Oh right, forgot we were talking about kids there for a moment. This needs a nationwide call to foster then. If the news actually did it’s job, this would be a talked about like a national crisis. 

Unfortunately, the foster care system is already overburdened without adding about 20,000 additional children from DHS custody, so it doesn't serve as a strong solution to the issue at hand. The system just isn't really flexible enough to handle this type of surge, and it is made even more difficult when you have to consider the unique needs of many of these children who may not be able to speak english.

The argument that I have routinely made when having this discussion is that we are in a situation where there is no good answer, but I believe the Biden administration is going down the best available road with the tools that are available. We simply didn't have the infrastructure in place when Biden came into office, and rapid gains have been made on that front. The amount of children and the time spent in CBP custody have rapidly decreased, and the amount of children placed with sponsors per day has rapidly increased causing that timeline to be cut in about half.

We can acknowledge that significant improvements on this front are still required, but we should also acknowledge that huge improvements are being made. We need a bigger immigration solution though, than just changes made by the Biden administration. We need congressional action.

sundin13 said:

What solution to this issue do we propose?

How about not separating children from their families. And treating them like human beings. How about abolishing ICE. And how about actually trying to address the issue instead of ignoring it altogether or trying to bury it?

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Around the Network

I didn't watch the video but Is it getting worse under Biden? Obviously something needs to be done here.

The simple thing is the US doesn't value humanity. It's not a very human friendly nation.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Eagle367 said:

The simple thing is the US doesn't value humanity. It's not a very human friendly nation.

It's not that simple that's the problem. Your turning a very complicated situation and making it sound like it's so easy to solve. So please enlighten the rest of us with the easy solutions in this situation.

Eagle367 said:
sundin13 said:

What solution to this issue do we propose?

How about not separating children from their families. And treating them like human beings. How about abolishing ICE. And how about actually trying to address the issue instead of ignoring it altogether or trying to bury it?

-There currently is not a family separation policy, except in cases where criminal activity such as sex trafficking is suspected. The children in question are largely showing up as unaccompanied minors.

-"Treating them like human beings" is too vague for me to really address.

-I support abolishing ICE, however that would not really be a solution to the present issue. The issue is how to handle unaccompanied minors who present themselves at the border. The border is largely CBP territory, not ICE territory. If we were speaking of a massive influx in arrests in the interior of the country, that would be an ICE issue, but what we are seeing is an influx of children at the border which has little to do with ICE. 

I think the first thing that needs to be done, and I'm sure we all agree, is get the children proper care, including getting a more compassionate and professional team looking after them, a system of accountability, better protection for the safety of the children, better nutrition by raising the food standards to a high level, counselling for any kids that needs it

It's the immediate care for the children that can be addressed independent of other issues, from the children's view that would be the quickest and most meaningful response for now