By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metriod Dread Announced for Switch, Launches October 8th

mZuzek said:
Spindel said:

Nothing with this feels clunky to me. Want to talk about clunky feeling games, play the NES Castlevania where once you hit jump you can do nothing to change your trajectory.

Funny enough Castlevania 1 is my favorite NES game, whereas Metroid 1 is my least favorite at least among those I've completed. They're both clunky, I suppose, but Castlevania's clunkiness feels like it's there very much by design, while Metroid's really feels like a limitation. So much so, that as these series progressed, Metroid got tons of new movement and aiming options (as early as in the next game), whereas Castlevania has generally remained slow-paced and clunky.

Great pick and great points. Castlevania 1 is probably my favorite NES game too. 



Around the Network
theRepublic said:
Vodacixi said:

The original Metroid has a certain charm. It's the most open game in the entire franchise, allowing you go to anywhere you want and skip almost every power up. However, it's an absolute nightmare to play unless you are really into old clunky games. No diagonal or down aiming, no crouching, enemies can hit you even if you are going through a door, password saving, tons of clonic rooms with no other purpouse than to confuse you, no map, no way to refill your HP and ammo other than the painfully slow method of killing infinite enemies that come off pipes...

Honestly, I cannot comprehend how someone could say that METROID (NES) is better than Super Metroid. Other than being an interesting experience for a fan of the series that started the franchise with newer games or a nostalgia trip for those who played it on its time... it's not a very good game at all. Even by NES standards.

I'm glad someone said it so I didn't have to.  I love the Metroid franchise.  Four Metroid games make it into my Top 50, and two into my Top 10 for the end of the year event we do here.  I was born in 1985 and have played plenty of old games.  Even with all that, I will say this: The original NES version of Metroid is near unplayable by modern standards.  Super Metroid outclasses it by far.  It feels so much better to play Super.  Light-years ahead.

Yeah, Super Metroid is the better game overall. The only reson I'm able to play Metroid (NES) without wanting to kill myself is that savestates exist. That and knowing the general route I have to follow thanks to having played Zero Mission a thousand times.



Vodacixi said:
theRepublic said:

I'm glad someone said it so I didn't have to.  I love the Metroid franchise.  Four Metroid games make it into my Top 50, and two into my Top 10 for the end of the year event we do here.  I was born in 1985 and have played plenty of old games.  Even with all that, I will say this: The original NES version of Metroid is near unplayable by modern standards.  Super Metroid outclasses it by far.  It feels so much better to play Super.  Light-years ahead.

Yeah, Super Metroid is the better game overall. The only reson I'm able to play Metroid (NES) without wanting to kill myself is that savestates exist. That and knowing the general route I have to follow thanks to having played Zero Mission a thousand times.

I played it without ever using save states (except for saving in the sense of like, not having to use a password to get back into the game), and I can confirm, I wanted to kill myself.



mZuzek said:
Vodacixi said:

Yeah, Super Metroid is the better game overall. The only reson I'm able to play Metroid (NES) without wanting to kill myself is that savestates exist. That and knowing the general route I have to follow thanks to having played Zero Mission a thousand times.

I played it without ever using save states (except for saving in the sense of like, not having to use a password to get back into the game), and I can confirm, I wanted to kill myself.

I have it both on the original cart and I also own a NES Mini.  I've only ever played it on the cart, and boy is that rough.  I should really give it a chance with save states on the NES Mini one day, but that is not high on my gaming priority list.



NNID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
3DS - Currently Gaming Like It's 2011 - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - Master Quest
Wii U - Currently Gaming Like It's 2015 - Super Mario Maker
PC - Currently Gaming Like It's 2012 - Borderlands 2
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links

mZuzek said:
Vodacixi said:

Yeah, Super Metroid is the better game overall. The only reson I'm able to play Metroid (NES) without wanting to kill myself is that savestates exist. That and knowing the general route I have to follow thanks to having played Zero Mission a thousand times.

I played it without ever using save states (except for saving in the sense of like, not having to use a password to get back into the game), and I can confirm, I wanted to kill myself.

I recall trying to beat the version inside Zero Mission (you unlock the original NES game after beating it) when I was a kid. No save states. Just those... passwords. I think I gave up around Kraid. The amount of bullshit I was experiencing was driving me mad. Playing the NES version only made me appreciate Zero Mission more xD



Around the Network
Vodacixi said:
mZuzek said:

I played it without ever using save states (except for saving in the sense of like, not having to use a password to get back into the game), and I can confirm, I wanted to kill myself.

I recall trying to beat the version inside Zero Mission (you unlock the original NES game after beating it) when I was a kid. No save states. Just those... passwords. I think I gave up around Kraid. The amount of bullshit I was experiencing was driving me mad. Playing the NES version only made me appreciate Zero Mission more xD

Kraid is some hot steaming bullshit, I didn't think a videogame boss could get worse than that. Until I reached Mother Brain. Ooh boy.



mZuzek said:
Vodacixi said:

I recall trying to beat the version inside Zero Mission (you unlock the original NES game after beating it) when I was a kid. No save states. Just those... passwords. I think I gave up around Kraid. The amount of bullshit I was experiencing was driving me mad. Playing the NES version only made me appreciate Zero Mission more xD

Kraid is some hot steaming bullshit, I didn't think a videogame boss could get worse than that. Until I reached Mother Brain. Ooh boy.

Homing projectiles coming at you from every angle... A tiny space to move... Your target can only be shot from a tiny hole... And if something hits you (and it will, OH IT WILL DEFINETLY WILL) you'll most likely fall into a lava pit that constantly drains your health, slows you down and sometimes will not let you get back to your tiny platform because of course: the physics on the lava are all over the place. 

Yup, that's the original Mother Brain ya'll! 10/10, best boss battle of all time xD



I hope Ridley's in this. He's pretty much the most iconic villain in the whole series, and has the cruelty to back it up.



CaptainExplosion said:

I hope Ridley's in this. He's pretty much the most iconic villain in the whole series, and has the cruelty to back it up.

I hope not honestly. Ridley is pretty dead by now. The original Ridley died in Super Metroid, the clone died in Other M and the X Parasite copy died in Fusion. I think three dead Ridleys are enough already xD



Metallox said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

It's not. Side strollers doesn't have the same perceiving value of 3D games. Pokemon and Mario sells based on their branding mostly, when you get that you are buying to yourself a luxury product almost. Plus they are know mostly for their 2D games, it's like 2D is part of identity of both franchises so consumers feel ok paying them because it's just how the things are

Minor franchises and new entries does not enjoy such status, a 60 USD price will for sure affect potential here. 

I'm sorry, but just because they don't have it right now, doesn't mean they can't acquire it. It's as simple as that. 

Lol, ok. Just because I'm not a millionaire now doesn't mean that I can't become one next week, same logic I guess