By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Which is better?

Gamecube 48 48.48%

PS3 51 51.52%

Total:99
Baddman said:
Mr Puggsly said:

In my brain I break it down by genre or unique content in general.

Fighting games: PS3 dominates Gamecube unless you really love GC's Smash Bros.
Racing games: PS3 dominates unless you love GC's Mario Kart and maybe some EA racers of the 6th gen.
Adventure/Platformers: PS3 dominates unless you really like Mario and Zelda games it had.
Hack n' slash: PS3
3rd person shooters: PS3
FPS: The average person would say PS3 unless you really enjoy Metroid Prime.
Open World Games: I mean c'mon... PS3.
Whatever the fuck genre Animal Crossing is, Gamecube wins that. But PS3 has shit like Minecraft.
WRPGS: PS3
JRPGS: PS3... Unless you really love Skies of Arcadia and Phantasy Star Online.
Arcade bullshit: PS3
Countless fucking indie games: PS3
Star Wars Games: Gamecube

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Gamecube and still have one along with a collection of games. But I think I can put together a bigger list of notable/enjoyable PS3 games than Gamecube's library. Some of Gamecube's most notable 3rd party content was also ported to PS3.

The gamecube had some great fighting games. More than just smash bros. Soul Calibur 2, bloody roar primal fury, capcom, vs snk 2, mortal kombat deception and deadly alliance etc

Besides smash Bros, PS3 has all that and much more. If you like playing online, MvC2 on ps3 is still active

Around the Network

I don't think any single (new) PS3 game is as great as RE4 on GC, but Sony's system does have a lot more games in the 8/10 range.

archbrix said:
haxxiy said:

Naaaaah.

I mean, I hear this argument sometimes but the reality is that the pointer sucked and no wonder it has been consigned to oblivion for the last decade or so. Even gyro aiming, its improved alternative, is ignored by most players when available.

I suppose the developers themselves knew it sucked, and that is why RE4 and MPT were made much easier than their GC equivalents (although in RE4's case, that's partly because the professional difficulty and the knife were broken in the PS2 port, which based all subsequent ports).

Completely disagree.  So many people remember holding their arm out trying to use the pointer in first person games where your aim is all over the place and yeah, that method does suck.  The second you put your arm down too much your view goes towards the ground.  The correct way to play is to have your arm rested on the armrest of your chair or even a pillow on your lap - where your steadied, resting stance is pointing at the center of the screen at all times.  This allows your subtle wrist movement to be able to navigate the pointer anywhere on the screen perfectly, and with the settings set to the most sensitive aiming mode this method far exceeds dual analogue for me, not just for the accuracy of aiming, but for the liberating feeling of navigation.

And today's gyro-aiming is a pathetic substitute for the accuracy of IR pointing in my opinion.  No wonder it's ignored by most players.

Completely agree with almost all of this, properly used and implemented IR is the best aiming method in gaming bar none. Games like Metroid Prime 3, Sin & Punishment Star Successor, and RE4 Wii Edition feel amazing, going from analogue to the pointer was like going from the D-Pad to analogue for 3D movement.

I disagree about gyro being a poor substitute though; it's not quite as spectacular, but still much better than just analogue, again when properly implemented. I'd never want to play games like Splatoon or BOTW with gyro turned off.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 11 June 2021

curl-6 said:

I don't think any single (new) PS3 game is as great as RE4 on GC, but Sony's system does have a lot more games in the 8/10 range.

archbrix said:

Completely disagree.  So many people remember holding their arm out trying to use the pointer in first person games where your aim is all over the place and yeah, that method does suck.  The second you put your arm down too much your view goes towards the ground.  The correct way to play is to have your arm rested on the armrest of your chair or even a pillow on your lap - where your steadied, resting stance is pointing at the center of the screen at all times.  This allows your subtle wrist movement to be able to navigate the pointer anywhere on the screen perfectly, and with the settings set to the most sensitive aiming mode this method far exceeds dual analogue for me, not just for the accuracy of aiming, but for the liberating feeling of navigation.

And today's gyro-aiming is a pathetic substitute for the accuracy of IR pointing in my opinion.  No wonder it's ignored by most players.

Completely agree with almost all of this, properly used and implemented IR is the best aiming method in gaming bar none. Games like Metroid Prime 3, Sin & Punishment Star Successor, and RE4 Wii Edition feel amazing, going from analogue to the pointer was like going from the D-Pad to analogue for 3D movement.

I disagree about gyro being a poor substitute though; it's not quite as spectacular, but still much better than just analogue, again when properly implemented. I'd never want to play games like Splatoon or BOTW with gyro turned off.

Not only 8/10 but also a lot more 9/10 range too. PS3 had some great exclusives that were arguably better than re4 like the last of us, uncharted 2, mgs4 etc. And then there were GTA5, Red dead redemption, assassin's Creed 2, dark souls, skyrim just some of the best 3rd party games ever 

Pinkie_pie said:
curl-6 said:

Not only 8/10 but also a lot more 9/10 range too. PS3 had some great exclusives that were arguably better than re4 like the last of us, uncharted 2, mgs4 etc. And then there were GTA5, Red dead redemption, assassin's Creed 2, dark souls, skyrim just some of the best 3rd party games ever 

It did have a great third party lineup, though personally I wasn't a fan of MGS4, TLOU, GTA5, Dark Souls, or Red Dead, so none of those games rate highly for me.

Uncharted 2 is excellent in my book though, as is Uncharted 3, Resistance 1-3, Bioshock 1/2/Infinite, Mass Effect 1-3, Vanquish, Dead Space, etc, which is why I voted for PS3 here.

There are definitely more games on PS3 that appeal to me than on Gamecube, it's just that for me RE4 is the best game ever made so nothing else matches it, with the possible exception of Super Mario Galaxy which comes extremely close.

Baddman said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Well this is PS3 vs Gamecube.

Gamecube has Smash Bros which is very notable. But PS3 had a fantastic fighting library that crushes Gamecube's options outside of that.

ANd I think capcom vs snk2 crushes everything released on that gen and the gen after

Yeah, as mentioned its in the PS3 store via emulation.

PS3 also has the MvC games, a bunch of SF games, Tekken and tons of notable but lesser praised fighters.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

The PS3 is easily the worst device Sony every built, both from a marketing perspective and quality-wise, but is it still beats the Gamecube for me. It's mostly down to the sheer amount of quality games. And while 1st party were mostly what salvaged the PS3 mess for me, the Gamecube had, in my opinion, the weakest iterations of almost every main series/evergreen on Nintendo home consoles. It certainly had nothing on the PS2 as far as breadth and depth of games go. It had a terrible controller, terrible design, silly proprietary format to avoid royalties and it had really poor marketing where I lived. The thing was more or less invisible to consumers, and it shows in the sales charts as well.

This all says more about my dislike for the GC and its poor library of games than any positive sentiment towards the PS3 though. They started moving games towards the online and multiplayer spheres and many beloved old PS franchises had poor showing with little substance. In addition, there was the laughable pricing and the terrible hardware setup that created more problems than actual, finished games for developers. It was a monolith of decadence and its greatest value when all was said and done would be to have taught Sony a lesson on humility, markets and demographics. If not for the uninteresting/poor competition, I might never have gotten a PS3 at all.

Last edited by Mummelmann - on 12 June 2021

curl-6 said:
archbrix said:

I barely played Splatoon so I don't really remember having much of an opinion on the gyro controls for that but for BOTW they were... serviceable for me, I suppose.  But I can't really imagine using them as the primary aiming/navigation control method in something like Prime 4.  Maybe if they implement them really well like you mentioned, I'll give them a shot again.  Guess we'll find out, since we obviously won't have IR pointer controls anymore. 

wrong wread oops

archbrix said:
curl-6 said:

I barely played Splatoon so I don't really remember having much of an opinion on the gyro controls for that but for BOTW they were... serviceable for me, I suppose.  But I can't really imagine using them as the primary aiming/navigation control method in something like Prime 4.  Maybe if they implement them really well like you mentioned, I'll give them a shot again.  Guess we'll find out, since we obviously won't have IR pointer controls anymore. 

Yeah even with gyro, Prime 4 is gonna inevitably feel like a step down from 3/Trilogy in terms of control. :(

Speaking of motion controls and the PS3, it did have Move I suppose, which was put to use in games like Killzone 3 and Resistance 3. That is another point in its favour versus the Gamecube for me.

curl-6 said:
archbrix said:

Yeah even with gyro, Prime 4 is gonna inevitably feel like a step down from 3/Trilogy in terms of control. :(

Speaking of motion controls and the PS3, it did have Move I suppose, which was put to use in games like Killzone 3 and Resistance 3. That is another point in its favour versus the Gamecube for me.

Perhaps, but the Gamecube had the Wavebird, which completely blew me away at the time and pretty much set the standard for today's wireless controllers.  I remember joking with my friends about the Xbox vs the Gamecube in a mock conversation:

Microsoft:  "The Xbox features 9ft long cords for its controllers!"

Nintendo:  "Oh yeah?..."