By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Which is better?

Gamecube 48 48.48%

PS3 51 51.52%

Total:99

I say this as someone who thinks Wii gets more shit than it deserves. Had a lot of hidden gems even outside Nintendo's own games. I think it was a very good system. I also believe it's the very worst console of its generation. Simply because it's clunky as hell to use. Most of the motion stuff aged poorly. It's a lot easier just to turn a 360 and PS3 and play a game. I also believe HD twins had a wider range of games worth playing even if we ignore the AAA stuff.

N64
Gamecube
Wii

Worst consoles of their generation. Still very good systems. Tho I'm not the biggest Gamecube fan. I have not picked up a game for it in more years than I remember. PS2,Xbox and Dreamcast. I have.

Same story with N64 and Wii. At least 6 years since my last pick up for them. Saturn and PS1 often. 360 and PS3 often. In fact picked up sealed copies of Lolipop Chainsaw and Killer is Dead on 360 for cheap very recently.

Switch, however, while I do think it is not belonging in any traditional generation cycle. I could argue is the best system of the 8th gen. PS4 I also can make a case for. Both are just amazing systems.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Leynos said:

I say this as someone who thinks Wii gets more shit than it deserves. Had a lot of hidden gems even outside Nintendo's own games. I think it was a very good system. I also believe it's the very worst console of its generation. Simply because it's clunky as hell to use. Most of the motion stuff aged poorly. It's a lot easier just to turn a 360 and PS3 and play a game

I don't think "aged" is the right word here, motion controls were painful to use even in 2008. Switch joycons disconnect fairly often but not as often as Wii remote. I remember playing Donkey Kong Country on uncle's Wii and damn it this shit was leggy, sometimes the game just couldn't detect my movements which is absolutely the worst thing possible to happen in a platformer

The idea of motion controls were to provide basic/abstract input and let the software do the job for you, I always found them too imprecise and leggy to be fun at all. I can't see a game that ask you to be precise like Hollow Knight, Ori or Celeste working with motion controls, it's not "tight" enough to work. Maybe it has good synergy with shooters, but alas I don't like shooters. For everything else traditional controllers all the way 

Leynos said:

I say this as someone who thinks Wii gets more shit than it deserves. Had a lot of hidden gems even outside Nintendo's own games. I think it was a very good system. I also believe it's the very worst console of its generation. Simply because it's clunky as hell to use. Most of the motion stuff aged poorly. It's a lot easier just to turn a 360 and PS3 and play a game. I also believe HD twins had a wider range of games worth playing even if we ignore the AAA stuff.

I never found the Wii clunky to use at all, in fact I find it just as easy and enjoyable to pick up and play today as PS3 or 360.

curl-6 said:
Leynos said:

I never found the Wii clunky to use at all, in fact I find it just as easy and enjoyable to pick up and play today as PS3 or 360.

Anytime I want to dig out the Wii. I ned to find the stupid sensor bar. Set that up. Then if I want a normal controller I have to have this stupid Wii remote dangling down in my lap. It's stupid.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
curl-6 said:

Anytime I want to dig out the Wii. I ned to find the stupid sensor bar. Set that up. Then if I want a normal controller I have to have this stupid Wii remote dangling down in my lap. It's stupid.

I don't feel the need for a "normal" controller personally, the Wiimote + Nunchuk is better than a standard gamepad in my book, pointer beats the hell out IR for aiming and being able to have my hands further apart is more comfortable.

Around the Network

Thats a close call but Gamecube had Melee which is arguably the best fighting game of all time.

I don't give PS3 full points for its multiplats since those were often the worst versions by far. Gamecube had compression issues with multiplats, but nothing that affected the gameplay and they still sometimes ran better than on the PS2 since the Cube was more powerful. That mostly affected the sound and CG cutscenes. With the PS3, if that was your only option you were almost better off not bothering with games like Skyrim and Fallout and were usually better off going with the 360 or PC versions.

My own view was that the Playstation 3 ended up with inferior multiplatform ports anyway, they were simply better on Xbox 360 or the PC from a visuals/performance perspective.

Gamecube had some solid titles that were memorable as did the PS3.

I need to give this one to Sony, even with Multiplats generally being the worst place to play. (Besides the Wii.)

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I never owned a Gamecube myself, but I did play it quite a bit later on, since one of my friends had one. I also played a good handful of its games through backwards compatibility on my Wii. Overall I think the Gamecube is probably Nintendo's weakest home console. I think the controller is horrible, and a lot of the big games ended up as major disappointments.

On the other hand the Playstation 3 is probably the most disappointing console in my opinion. Coming from the Playstation 2, which is my most played system to date, the games on PS3 just didn't excite me at all, and I ended up using it mainly as a blu-ray player. I also really dislike the DS3 controller.

I can't think of many PS3 games I would want to go back and play on the system (if mine was still working), the multiplats I would much rather play on another system, the Uncharted games and Resistance games bore me. I guess the Ratchet and Clank games, The Last of Us and Metal Gear Solid 4 would be the only reasons. Still that is probably more reasons than playing on the Gamecube again. So PS3 gets my vote.

This has to be a personal taste thing, because the PS3 library is just overall better.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)