By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Which is better?

Gamecube 48 48.48%

PS3 51 51.52%

Total:99
Mr Puggsly said:
GoOnKid said:

In my brain I break it down by genre or unique content in general.

Fighting games: PS3 dominates Gamecube unless you really love GC's Smash Bros.
Racing games: PS3 dominates unless you love GC's Mario Kart and maybe some EA racers of the 6th gen.
Adventure/Platformers: PS3 dominates unless you really like Mario and Zelda games it had.
Hack n' slash: PS3
3rd person shooters: PS3
FPS: The average person would say PS3 unless you really enjoy Metroid Prime.
Open World Games: I mean c'mon... PS3.
Whatever the fuck genre Animal Crossing is, Gamecube wins that. But PS3 has shit like Minecraft.
WRPGS: PS3
JRPGS: PS3... Unless you really love Skies of Arcadia and Phantasy Star Online.
Arcade bullshit: PS3
Countless fucking indie games: PS3
Star Wars Games: Gamecube

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Gamecube and still have one along with a collection of games. But I think I can put together a bigger list of notable/enjoyable PS3 games than Gamecube's library. Some of Gamecube's most notable 3rd party content was also ported to PS3.

I really love Skies of Arcadia but the Gamecube port isn't as good as the Dreamcast version. Sound is worse. They cut every cutscene short by a few seconds to fit on one disc. Even tho it had extra content. It doesn't make up for it. DC is the best version of that game much like Sonic Adventure is better on DC.

Oh and Gamecube doesn't have EX Troopers or Strider 2014. 3D Dot Game Heroes is awesome. Ps3 has some Macross and Ace Another Century games. PS3 just has a lot more to offer in every way.

Tho it was funny that one time when Sony was promoting PS3 they used Zelda music by mistake

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
GoOnKid said:

Racing games: PS3 dominates unless you love GC's Mario Kart and maybe some EA racers of the 6th gen.
Adventure/Platformers: PS3 dominates unless you really like Mario and Zelda games it had.
Whatever the fuck genre Animal Crossing is, Gamecube wins that. But PS3 has shit like Minecraft.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Gamecube and still have one along with a collection of games. But I think I can put together a bigger list of notable/enjoyable PS3 games than Gamecube's library. Some of Gamecube's most notable 3rd party content was also ported to PS3.

Thank you for the genres, I thought of something like this, too. I was actually just kidding, of course it is a matter of personal preferences :)

I for example would rank Metroid Prime higher than any fps shooter on the PS3 and it's not even a contest. I would also claim that Zelda Wind Waker is the best third person action adventure between these two consoles, and yes, that means better than The Last of Us and Uncharted 2. I would also claim that F-Zero GX is superior against any racing game on the PS3, and then there's still Wave Race Blue Storm, 1080 Avalanche and Mario Kart Double Dash.

Games like GTA or Red Dead Revolver do nothing for me, so. Personal preference. The PS3 covers more genres, though, that's for sure. RPGs and fighting games shine on the PS3.

Leynos said:

Tho it was funny that one time when Sony was promoting PS3 they used Zelda music by mistake

Hahahahaha holy shit how has this passed me by until now, this is a fail for hall of fame, and that's saying a lot considering PS3's launch is a treasure trove of hilarious gaffes.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 11 June 2021

GoOnKid said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Thank you for the genres, I thought of something like this, too. I was actually just kidding, of course it is a matter of personal preferences :)

I for example would rank Metroid Prime higher than any fps shooter on the PS3 and it's not even a contest. I would also claim that Zelda Wind Waker is the best third person action adventure between these two consoles, and yes, that means better than The Last of Us and Uncharted 2. I would also claim that F-Zero GX is superior against any racing game on the PS3, and then there's still Wave Race Blue Storm, 1080 Avalanche and Mario Kart Double Dash.

Games like GTA or Red Dead Revolver do nothing for me, so. Personal preference. The PS3 covers more genres, though, that's for sure. RPGs and fighting games shine on the PS3.

Pretty much the response I would expect. Its essentially a matter of how much you love Nintendo 1st party.

For FPS, its essentially Metroid Prime versus all of PS3's military shooters, Borderlands, Bioshock, Deus Ex, Far Cry, Valve games, id games, etc. Then if you include 3rd person shooters you have a bunch of Resident Evil games, Dead Space, Fallout among many others. Even if Metroid Prime was my favorite series, a lot of that list is very strong and potentially consumed much more time.

I know people really love Wind Waker, even if it was polarizing. But maybe if we broaden what PS3 has as adventure games, like Fallout, Oblivion, Skyrim, Assassin's Creed, God of War, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Dark Souls, Batman, Yakuza, etc. I think what PS3 offers becomes more interesting then just Uncharted and Last of Us.

When it comes to the racing genre its probably worth considering they have different strengths. PS3 had a more notable library of sim and open world racers (NFS Most Wanted, Midnight Club, Burnout Paradise). Also the Sonic racing games were a good alternative to Mario Kart.

Even if you didn't enjoy GTA or Red Dead Redemption. The open world options were more than that. Such as Sleeping Dogs, Skyrim, Oblivion, Far Cry, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Just Cause 2, Saints Row, Assassin's Creed, etc. I know I am repeating some titles and because games can fall into multiple genres.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

archbrix said:
Baddman said:

Plus, Wii has even better versions of two of my favorite Gamecube games, Metroid Prime and RE4.

Naaaaah.

I mean, I hear this argument sometimes but the reality is that the pointer sucked and no wonder it has been consigned to oblivion for the last decade or so. Even gyro aiming, its improved alternative, is ignored by most players when available.

I suppose the developers themselves knew it sucked, and that is why RE4 and MPT were made much easier than their GC equivalents (although in RE4's case, that's partly because the professional difficulty and the knife were broken in the PS2 port, which based all subsequent ports).

Around the Network
haxxiy said:
archbrix said:

Plus, Wii has even better versions of two of my favorite Gamecube games, Metroid Prime and RE4.

Naaaaah.

I mean, I hear this argument sometimes but the reality is that the pointer sucked and no wonder it has been consigned to oblivion for the last decade or so. Even gyro aiming, its improved alternative, is ignored by most players when available.

I suppose the developers themselves knew it sucked, and that is why RE4 and MPT were made much easier than their GC equivalents (although in RE4's case, that's partly because the professional difficulty and the knife were broken in the PS2 port, which based all subsequent ports).

Completely disagree.  So many people remember holding their arm out trying to use the pointer in first person games where your aim is all over the place and yeah, that method does suck.  The second you put your arm down too much your view goes towards the ground.  The correct way to play is to have your arm rested on the armrest of your chair or even a pillow on your lap - where your steadied, resting stance is pointing at the center of the screen at all times.  This allows your subtle wrist movement to be able to navigate the pointer anywhere on the screen perfectly, and with the settings set to the most sensitive aiming mode this method far exceeds dual analogue for me, not just for the accuracy of aiming, but for the liberating feeling of navigation.

And today's gyro-aiming is a pathetic substitute for the accuracy of IR pointing in my opinion.  No wonder it's ignored by most players.

Mr Puggsly said:
GoOnKid said:

The gamecube had some great fighting games. More than just smash bros. Soul Calibur 2, bloody roar primal fury, capcom, vs snk 2, mortal kombat deception and deadly alliance etc

Baddman said:
Mr Puggsly said:

The gamecube had some great fighting games. More than just smash bros. Soul Calibur 2, bloody roar primal fury, capcom, vs snk 2, mortal kombat deception and deadly alliance etc

Well this is PS3 vs Gamecube.

Gamecube has Smash Bros which is very notable. But PS3 had a fantastic fighting library that crushes Gamecube's options outside of that.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Baddman said:

Well this is PS3 vs Gamecube.

Gamecube has Smash Bros which is very notable. But PS3 had a fantastic fighting library that crushes Gamecube's options outside of that.

ANd I think capcom vs snk2 crushes everything released on that gen and the gen after

Capcom vs SNK2 is on PS3.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!