By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - God of War & GT7 Delayed to 2022, Cross Gen For PS4/PS5

SvennoJ said:
curl-6 said:

MS got a ton of flak for being upfront about their crossgen plans last year, looks like all along they were just being more honest and transparent.

I guess if this trend carries over to the Switch's successor, I probably won't be in any rush to get that either. I miss when new generations were exciting.

Plans change all the time, PR is always exaggeration. GT7 was only recently changed to go to PS4 as well, Demons Souls, Returnal and Ratchet and Clank are still only on PS5.

It's been a shit 15 months which actually had a positive effect on home entertainment, including PS4. GT Sport saw a huge uptake in players at the start of the pandemic and still has higher daily active numbers than before the pandemic. That's probably the main driving factor behind putting GT7 on Ps4 as well. There is a huge active player base that can't or won't get a ps5 yet.

When were generations actually exciting. KZ Shadowfall, Knack, Ryse of Rome and Forza 5?
BotW which was made for WiiU? (I can't even remember WiiU launch games)
Resistance Fall of Man, Ridge Racer 7, Perfect Dark Zero, Kameo (which was originally for XBox)

PS2 launch line up was phenomenal, Mario 64 alone was enough to sell the N64. Yet after that, it's always been a lukewarm start with droughts following. Unfortunately the drought will be longer this time due to Covid.

My kids won't have seen the inside of their school building for 18 months by the time they finally can go back to class in September. I miss when times were boring!

I find it hard to believe GT7 recently changed to release on the ps4. That's not typically how game development works and it's become common recently for Sony to withhold information on cross-gen releases. 

Last edited by smroadkill15 - on 04 June 2021

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:

Sony straight up lying with "we believe in generations" and its a shame

So we are already on page 12 of an utterly pointless thread?

There are over 115M PS4 sold, many of whom are still in use.

First of all:

Do you really think it would be wise for Sony to say: "Hey, 115M PS4 suckers, no more games for you"?

Of course Sony plans to publish all their bread and butter games on the old console, if a good/reasonable roi is achievable. That is a no-brainer. As the active PS4 user base is diminishing in the following years, that plan will be under review. But don't expect Sony to stop producing these games for both generation for the next 2-3 years.

Then:

What do you know about how the game will perform on the PS4 and the PS5 none of us knows? Your anger seems to imply it's the same game..

At best, we will get a fully optimised game for the new generation and a fully optimised game for the last generation. More likely, we will see a fully optimised (as can be with current tools) new generation game and a downscaled version for the old generation. Downscaling assets is not miracle technology.

This has nothing to do with "we believe in generations", this is simple financial logic.

drkohler said:
PotentHerbs said:

Sony straight up lying with "we believe in generations" and its a shame

So we are already on page 12 of an utterly pointless thread?

There are over 115M PS4 sold, many of whom are still in use.

First of all:

Do you really think it would be wise for Sony to say: "Hey, 115M PS4 suckers, no more games for you"?

Of course Sony plans to publish all their bread and butter games on the old console, if a good/reasonable roi is achievable. That is a no-brainer. As the active PS4 user base is diminishing in the following years, that plan will be under review. But don't expect Sony to stop producing these games for both generation for the next 2-3 years.

Then:

What do you know about how the game will perform on the PS4 and the PS5 none of us knows? Your anger seems to imply it's the same game..

At best, we will get a fully optimised game for the new generation and a fully optimised game for the last generation. More likely, we will see a fully optimised (as can be with current tools) new generation game and a downscaled version for the old generation. Downscaling assets is not miracle technology.

This has nothing to do with "we believe in generations", this is simple financial logic.

What sticks out is ImpotentHerbs’ inability to comprehend what Sony meant by that quote, and him equating “believing in generations” with console makers completely abandoning a player base the moment their new console comes out. At this point, bringing up that quote in this manner is nothing more than trolling or annoyingly misguided and reeking of bad faith.

User was moderated for this post ~ Hiku

Last edited by Hiku - on 10 June 2021

Hynad said:

What sticks out is ImpotentHerbs’ inability to comprehend what Sony meant by that quote, and him equating “believing in generations” with console makers completely abandoning a player base the moment their new console comes out. At this point, bringing up that quote in this manner is nothing more than trolling or annoyingly misguided and reeking of bad faith.

Bad faith, huh? Why don't you cite some of my posts that show I'm anti Playstation? 

smroadkill15 said:

I find it hard to believe GT7 recently changed to release on the ps4. That's not typically how game development works and it's become common recently for Sony to withhold information on cross-gen release information. 

PD is anything but typical when it comes to game development. I've been subject to their whims for many years and had the 'pleasure' to follow their release schedule closely since GT5. PD flip flopping on a lot of things is unfortunately very common. GT6 never getting a ps4 release, the whole handling of penalties and online races. I'm pretty sure Kaz wanted a clean break again and only release GT7 for ps5, it's always a quick move on to the next version. GT5 servers turning off not long after GT6 released for example. So in this case, I find it pretty believable that it was a recent change, coming from upper management pressure to finally start making some money. GTS prices dropped very early and the game is mostly sustained by ps+. I find it hard to believe Kaz would ever want to do a cross gen release on his own volition.

Around the Network
smroadkill15 said:
SvennoJ said:

Plans change all the time, PR is always exaggeration. GT7 was only recently changed to go to PS4 as well, Demons Souls, Returnal and Ratchet and Clank are still only on PS5.

It's been a shit 15 months which actually had a positive effect on home entertainment, including PS4. GT Sport saw a huge uptake in players at the start of the pandemic and still has higher daily active numbers than before the pandemic. That's probably the main driving factor behind putting GT7 on Ps4 as well. There is a huge active player base that can't or won't get a ps5 yet.

When were generations actually exciting. KZ Shadowfall, Knack, Ryse of Rome and Forza 5?
BotW which was made for WiiU? (I can't even remember WiiU launch games)
Resistance Fall of Man, Ridge Racer 7, Perfect Dark Zero, Kameo (which was originally for XBox)

PS2 launch line up was phenomenal, Mario 64 alone was enough to sell the N64. Yet after that, it's always been a lukewarm start with droughts following. Unfortunately the drought will be longer this time due to Covid.

My kids won't have seen the inside of their school building for 18 months by the time they finally can go back to class in September. I miss when times were boring!

I find it hard to believe GT7 recently changed to release on the ps4. That's not typically how game development works and it's become common recently for Sony to withhold information on cross-gen release information. 

Both GOW and GT7 have been revealed as cross-gen at the same time. So it's not so much about Sony withholding information on GT7 in particular but more the source from the article saying GOW was always intended as cross-gen but GT7 wasn't. 

The late PS4 version would imply it's a business decision versus some natural progression of development. But I understand some level of skepticism, for me GT7 looked cross-gen from the beginning. I actually wrote about in a few threads back at reveal, nothing from the gameplay portion looks next gen, in particular the modelling and texturing of the hands and car interiors looked very average. But that could also just be the results of the team truly focusing on Native 4k+Ray Tracycing+ 60fps. Whereas most eye candy games are actually scaling up from 1440p as well as being demoed at 30fps.

r

Otter said:

Both GOW and GT7 have been revealed as cross-gen at the same time. So it's not so much about Sony withholding information on GT7 in particular but more the source from the article saying GOW was always intended as cross-gen but GT7 wasn't. 

The late PS4 version would imply it's a business decision versus some natural progression of development. But I understand some level of skepticism, for me GT7 looked cross-gen from the beginning. I actually wrote about in a few threads back at reveal, nothing from the gameplay portion looks next gen, in particular the modelling and texturing of the hands and car interiors looked very average. But that could also just be the results of the team truly focusing on Native 4k+Ray Tracycing+ 60fps. Whereas most eye candy games are actually scaling up from 1440p as well as being demoed at 30fps.

r

GT Sport, at least the game engine, was made future proof or rather meant to last for ps5 at least as well. GT Sport was already made for rec.2020, all assets from the ground made up for HDR up to 10,000 nits. The sacrifice to get it running on PS4 was to go with baked lighting and baked weather on a few select tracks. PS5 would do this dynamically when it came the time.

From that trailer, after doing over 12K sport races, the lighting does look better. But I also wonder why they're not showing any dynamic weather. The assets won't change, higher LOD versions on track is all you can expect. Maybe new tracks with extra fidelity but that's it. Anyway a 1080p compressed video is hard to judge texture quality on. Detail looks better in the current game lol. What they're showing off here is the return of the quirky map/campaign screen and an old favorite track remastered. Gran Turismo is coming back it says, back to its roots. Which is not surprising as only 5% of the people that bought GT Sport did more than 20 online sport races. It's clear the majority is not looking for online competition.

So, after all, Sony still wants to support PS4 some more years... Price cut and new role as entry level console coming next Autumn?

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

SvennoJ said:
smroadkill15 said:

PD is anything but typical when it comes to game development. I've been subject to their whims for many years and had the 'pleasure' to follow their release schedule closely since GT5. PD flip flopping on a lot of things is unfortunately very common. GT6 never getting a ps4 release, the whole handling of penalties and online races. I'm pretty sure Kaz wanted a clean break again and only release GT7 for ps5, it's always a quick move on to the next version. GT5 servers turning off not long after GT6 released for example. So in this case, I find it pretty believable that it was a recent change, coming from upper management pressure to finally start making some money. GTS prices dropped very early and the game is mostly sustained by ps+. I find it hard to believe Kaz would ever want to do a cross gen release on his own volition.

Do you have any sources to back this up or just what you believe has happened? 

smroadkill15 said:
SvennoJ said:

Do you have any sources to back this up or just what you believe has happened? 

No sources, just my experience with PD. Do you have any sources that claim GT7 was always meant to be a cross gen release?