By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - E3 Hub Thread - TIme to wrap up! Nintendo poll up

What was your favorite part of Nintendo's E3 Direct?

Advance Wars 1+2 Re-Boot Camp 3 8.82%

Cruis'n Blast 0 0%

Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water 0 0%

Hyrule Warriors: AoC Puls... 0 0%

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2 13 38.24%

Mario Party Superstars 0 0%

Metroid Dread 11 32.35%

Shin Megami Tensei 5 5 14.71%

Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania 0 0%

Warioware: Get It Together! 2 5.88%

Total:34
Runa216 said:

More and more it's clear why Sony isn't interested in E3 anymore. They - like Nintendo - just sorta do their own thing now and it seems to be working out for them. (Yes I know Nintendo still is releasing an E3 showcase, but they shifted over to Nintendo Directs a while back and the E3 version is just...another Nintendo direct now)

If we're talking about from the perspective of quality, Sony's new approach hasn't really increased the quality of their presentations whatsoever. It's "worked out for them" because it accomplishes the bare minimum - getting news out there. But it's not really an argument to be used against E3 from a quality perspective, because their own showings are quite often pretty bad (I remember one of them being decent, can't remember which one though). 

Either way, I'd be careful to act like Sony is a visionary or even a trendsetter. Remember, this is the same company that opened one of their E3 showings in a cramped setting made specifically for one game, then had to take a good 13 minute break to get the crowd to transition to main auditorium after only one game was shown, then opened back up not with a game, but with a guy playing a flute. That was a decision Sony made. At the end of the day, it's up to the individual companies holding E3 conferences to make their conferences good. Microsoft and Square-Enix both had less interruptions on average here then you tend to get at E3, yet many still found these conferences disappointing. That's not an "E3" problem, that's a content problem from both companies.

Around the Network

To be fair. Everyone sucks ass at the Direct style of presentation except Nintendo. Nintendo started Direct a decade ago. They are hard to go back to in the old style. It took Nintendo about 5 years to get more to the format we like now. Sony has tried copying it but still does not understand what makes an ND work so well. Everyone is still trying to figure it out on their own. Part of it is bad pacing. Some still continue to show CG trailers with zero gameplay. Some just updates and little else. Maybe just me but one issue is so many devs are not announcing new IPs but more sequels to the same handful of games. Far Cry 600. Halo Infinite. Forza 9000. Ghost Recon 12768765870. Sequels can be fine if balanced with truly new IPs and new ideas. Not just a derivative of everything else out there.

The rest of this show is a look at our FPS. Now our FPS and that FPS. So little variety. I went back to look at E3 2001. Even ignoring Sony, Nintendo, and Xbox talking new hardware. The list of games and how varied it is. It's insane. What happened to that industry? Every 3rd party just does the same 2-3 IPs every year now. I thought for years E3 was on a downward spiral. Getting worse and less relevant. Last year it was gone. Comes back this year as a digital show and.....I'd be just fine if E3 died and never came back. Better to just do some show whenever you feel like you have something to show rather than some specified 3-4 day period in June. Then a lot of stuff is rushed with nothing to show.

Cerebralbore101 said:

"Console Launch Exclusive" A.K.A. we paid these developers to delay their games on Switch/PS5. Whatever happened to "We don't like to do timed exclusives"?

I agree with the poll as of this writing; both Eiyuden Chronicle and Forza Horizon look great. The former caught my eye almost a year ago but since I tend to like racing games more than RPGs these days I voted for Forza. Replaced looked pretty good too. All in all Microsoft had an ok showing but I was really hoping for a new Banjo Kazooie on the level of Ratchet.

STALKER 2, man, looks insane. I played the first one and the additional titles they released under the same umbrella, very unique games with challenging gameplay.

Around the Network

I guess my favorite was Age of empires but it's not there so I choose Forza, Best show till now I wish them good luck their machine is really appealing I think since I am about to upgrade my TV I will go for series X

JWeinCom said:

Square needs to either bite the bullet and pay for likeness rights to the actors, or use an animated style. But this strategy of using characters that look sort of like the movies but not close enough to trigger likeness rights is incredibly offputting.

For me personally its also a design failure. They're using generic faces which look completely indistinctive and manikin-like, almost as if they're placeholders. I think they really need to scout for face actors who resonate or just put a bit more care into making them feel distinguished. They're giving me custom Mass Effect Character vibes 

Meanwhile Sony devs have a pretty strong track record as of late for crafting characters that feel distinct, which also makes them easier to hate or love.

This year's E3 has been weirdly muted and lacking in excitement. So far I can think of maybe a handful of games that have been shown which I'm genuinely interested in. Elden Ring is easily the star of the whole E3 so far for me, with Planet of Lana, Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin, A Plague Tale: Requiem, and Eiyuden Chronicles being among the few others that actually got me excited a little. Babylon's Fall being a live service game has been the biggest disappointment so far. Platinum is one of the best developers in the world, but that detail instantly killed my interest in the game.

hinch said:

SE - Remaster/10

More like Mobile/10

Seriously, why couldn't they bring those games, especially the Final Fantasy titles, to the Switch?

Bofferbrauer2 said:
hinch said:

SE - Remaster/10

More like Mobile/10

Seriously, why couldn't they bring those games, especially the Final Fantasy titles, to the Switch?

because square enix doesn't live in the real world. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android