By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 21, 2021 - (May 17 - May 23)

So is 2 games still the most that PS5 has had in the top 30 since it's release, so did I miss a week when it had more?

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:

PS5/XS gamers would certainly expect a big graphical increase compared to the Switch version, PC gamers... not so much.

The main problem with the PS5/XS version would be the increased cost for their version and no certainty that the investment would get returns. Of course that version would also be used for PC then, but like I said, they wouldn't have to in contrast to the next gen consoles.

From what I see PC gamers are more concerned with graphics and performance than console gamers

I understand the concern of being released on PS5 and not break-even given the abysmal software sales for PS5 games in Japan but I'm if this game will run on Switch I'm 100% sure it will also get a PS4 version, after all JP publishers keep releasing games for older hardware for years, remember Persona 5 being release on PS3 3 years after the release of PS4

HoangNhatAnh said:

Bold 1: When DQXII come out in 2023 - 2024, there will be only ps5/xbox SEX/PC and Switch. Majority sales are always from JP, but PS5 sofware sales is terrible, 10mil? Quite a big strech here.

Bold 2: Xenoblade Wii is as big as Skyrim, the scope is quite big for a 7th gen game, by your logic i guess it is more expensive than Final Fantasy XIII ps3.

Bold 1, a Switch version almost confirm it will also run on PS4

Bold 2, I have no idea what you want to argue here. The cost of a game is mainly based on workforce. We are talking the same game developed by the same studio in the same software pipeline, the only way for a PS5 version being significantly more expensive than a Switch version is if they allocate more people and make a bigger game for PS5. If anything Switch games are very likely harder to develop to, as the hardware is far more limited devs needs to learn how to work around its limitations, remember me Ori's developer explaining why was more demanding to make Will of Wisps running on Switch compared to Xbox/PC

Wyrdness said:

You know why World's sales are down to Capcom's effort and not being multiplatform? Because MH games have been multiplatform before MH3rd was on both PSP and PS3 for a start, World isn't even the first PC game either it's like the third. Fact is it was never just down to platform but effort the first two MH games were on PS2 the highest selling home console as of the moment and the games struggled to cross the 1m mark yet on PS4 World outsold both combined 3 times over because Capcom got off their ass to sell the game, before World they were content to sit on the sales in Japan.

Those games sell because actual effort is made to sell them, it's like with Octopath selling more than 2m despite being very traditional it sold that because the was a genuine effort to push it. 

The facts is: Non PS4 Monster Hunter World sold over 7 million

If it was a PS4-only game it would sell a bit over 8.5 million copies

Meaning all Capcom's effort would be useless if they choose to make it exclusive for whatever reason you may think

Remove a platform and the sales are halved unless people start buying a system to play a specific game which is NOT the case for a niche franchise like Dragon Quest is in West. Why is so much denial about benefits of being multiplatform is beyond me

The_Liquid_Laser said:

DQXII could turn out to be multiplat.  I am not ruling that out.  It could also be Switch exclusive.  Nintendo is willing to moneyhat DQXII.  Nintendo seems to love Dragon Quest like it is one of their own IP.  What will definitely not happen is PS5 exclusivity.  Sony is not willing to moneyhat DQXII.  They will make deals for more Final Fantasy games before they ever make a deal for Dragon Quest.

What you need to realize is that marketing Dragon Quest to the West and Nintendo exclusivity actually go hand in hand.  It may not seem logical to you, but this is the line we've been fed since DQ1.  Nintendo gave out free copies of DQ1 with a subscription to Nintendo Power.  Every time I've ever heard of marketing DQ to the West it's always had a strong Nintendo backing.  This goes back to the very origins of the series.

If Square wants to keep DQ popularity more restricted while still making a lot of money with the franchise then a moneyhat will work

However all this supposed changes in direction are screaming they want a breakthrough in werstern markets, and a moneyhat will affect the franchise potential

Around the Network
Agente42 said:

So the third party sell better on switch x ps4, but will launch in ps5 exclusive because of no rational reason. The instal base, the Japanese market dominance, the worldwide success. This not count, only count the PS5, because no rational reason.

Switch in 2023 maybe have 140+M instal base and the ps5 only maybe 55M, why I will lose 140 million user base and all local market?

It's the dumbest decision ever.

Multiplatform is a rational decision.(PC, Switch, PS5, Xbox)

or Switch exclusive.

the rest is the Nagoshi craziness realm. 

The main point of my arguments is DQ to be released in as much systems as possible even if it means making a tailor made version for Switch like they did with DQ 11 and 3DS. So... I think you actually agree with me? 

IcaroRibeiro said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

PS5/XS gamers would certainly expect a big graphical increase compared to the Switch version, PC gamers... not so much.

The main problem with the PS5/XS version would be the increased cost for their version and no certainty that the investment would get returns. Of course that version would also be used for PC then, but like I said, they wouldn't have to in contrast to the next gen consoles.

From what I see PC gamers are more concerned with graphics and performance than console gamers

I understand the concern of being released on PS5 and not break-even given the abysmal software sales for PS5 games in Japan but I'm if this game will run on Switch I'm 100% sure it will also get a PS4 version, after all JP publishers keep releasing games for older hardware for years, remember Persona 5 being release on PS3 3 years after the release of PS4

PC gamers are concerned when it's a new western AAA game. Other than for those, they mostly care about fps not being locked.

I mean, if they would really care so much about graphics in general, then CS:GO would have been long dead and WoW would have died at least a decade ago.

As for the game also releasing on the PS4, I doubt it. It would possibly be true in general, but in case of Dragon Quest, most releases were really just for one platform. DQ XI was really an exception, and that one was most certainly due to the 3DS doing well in Japan but not outside while for PS4/XBO it was the other way around. But that ain't the case this time around.

IcaroRibeiro said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Bold 1: When DQXII come out in 2023 - 2024, there will be only ps5/xbox SEX/PC and Switch. Majority sales are always from JP, but PS5 sofware sales is terrible, 10mil? Quite a big strech here.

Bold 2: Xenoblade Wii is as big as Skyrim, the scope is quite big for a 7th gen game, by your logic i guess it is more expensive than Final Fantasy XIII ps3.

Bold 2, I have no idea what you want to argue here. The cost of a game is mainly based on workforce. We are talking the same game developed by the same studio in the same software pipeline, the only way for a PS5 version being significantly more expensive than a Switch version is if they allocate more people and make a bigger game for PS5. If anything Switch games are very likely harder to develop to, as the hardware is far more limited devs needs to learn how to work around its limitations, remember me Ori's developer explaining why was more demanding to make Will of Wisps running on Switch compared to Xbox/PC

It's only harder to develop for the Switch when downporting, not when it's made specifically for the Switch, which is most likely going to be the case with DQ XII.

Working on high fidelity graphics takes alot of time and effort and is therefore expensive. That's why a seperate PS5 specific version would be a financial risk.

IcaroRibeiro said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Bold 1: If Switch ver is built for Switch only like DQXI 3ds then nope.

Bold 2: DQXI 3DS costed as much money as DQXI PS4?

IcaroRibeiro said:

The facts is: Non PS4 Monster Hunter World sold over 7 million

If it was a PS4-only game it would sell a bit over 8.5 million copies

Meaning all Capcom's effort would be useless if they choose to make it exclusive for whatever reason you may think

Remove a platform and the sales are halved unless people start buying a system to play a specific game which is NOT the case for a niche franchise like Dragon Quest is in West. Why is so much denial about benefits of being multiplatform is beyond me

Rise alone will possibly outsell both the PS4 and X1 versions of World combined highlighting the number of platforms released isn't necessarily what leads to higher mainstream success, the combined total of X1 and PS4 units is over 160m double that of the Switch at the moment. Rise is selling like it is because of the effort put into even on one platform alone it is looking to sell a comparable amount to that of a game on three platforms this alone shows it is simply not down to the metrics you say.

It sold 7m on PC because they put effort into selling it on the platform not because a version exists otherwise Frontier would have sold 7m long before it I would bet a good number of sales are also people who double dipped.

DQXI is on 5 platforms and hit 6.5m with not only differing costs of each version but the break down of each platform is nothing to write home about as each version has to justify the cost of existing and ultimately most of the sales are still in Japan where a Switch version of DQXII alone will likely outsell all the versions of DQXI in the region combined. No one is saying a PS5 or PC version can't be made but such a version will not magically pull a MH like you think because that requires the same type of effort from SE and even DQ would have to be a completely different type of game to find mainstream success.

It's more likely DQXII will have a PS4 version than PS5 at the moment and tbh it's likely to be a Switch game ported up after all they simply ported over DQXI:DE from Switch with no changes to other platforms. 

Last edited by Wyrdness - on 01 June 2021