By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - AMD FSR crazzy prediction

Will sony and MS have FSR by their E3 conference?

Yes. And all previous games will be enhanced 1 11.11%

Yes. And all exclusive ga... 1 11.11%

Yes. But only from then f... 1 11.11%

No. But they will anounce... 3 33.33%

No. It will be ready by next year 2 22.22%

No. This year not even for pc will be ready 1 11.11%

Total:9
eva01beserk said:
Captain_Yuri said:

AMD will have a press conference in June 1st and we will have a pretty good idea as to the state of it imo. Last time AMD said "later this year" which many publications thought would mean end of this year but since AMD's recent patent got approved, it could be something sooner. So if AMD showcases FSR during their press event, then I'd think that MS or Sony or both will announce support for it during their e3 press event. If AMD is silent about it or still says it's coming, then I think FSR will be skipped or glossed over at their e3 press event.

Personally I don't think it will be any better than the typical TAA upscaling solutions we already have in the market so I don't think it will be a true DLSS competitor. I think the main benefit of FSR will be the fact that it can be a plug in that can be used across multiple engines instead of some engines having upscaling features while others not. And because of that, I doubt the current exclusives will see any enhancements because a lot of them already use a great upscaling solution. I think for future games, FSR will be implemented.

The end result of FSR imo will be kinda like the TAA upsampling solution similar to this (Skip to 35:30):

And that's not a bad thing cause it is really good. We will see though as AMD has surprised me before.

I cant speak for the quality of the product. Insiders only say its somewhere between dlss 1 and 2. But that's where sony and MS come in. That's an advantage amd has over nvedia. They will work closely toghether and improve the tech at a higher speed than nvidia could alone. Add to that the install base theese 2 consoles will have in a few years. So even if fsr is behind dlss at launch it will catch up soon and beat it just for the crazzy amount of support its gona have.

And for the june 1 event is my main reason for this thread. They are doing it as early as possible to let sony and ms prep for their e3 event. Like you said if the amd says they are ready a week later or whenever e3 will be Sony and ms will say they been working on something and present something. Im betting ratchet and clank will be anothet big showcase for this. They already said its gona be 4k30 rtx. Im sure they are gona say then fsr 4k60 with rtx.

Well DLSS 1.0 was terrible and arguably worse than most modern TAA upscaling solutions. The only good DLSS implementation prior to DLSS 2.0 was DLSS 1.9 and the problem with that was that it wasn't easy to implement while still having some issues, especially in motion. DLSS 2.0 is when DLSS actually became good because it was easy to implement while fixing majority of the issues that DLSS 1.9 had. But the TAA Upscaling shown in the video would be in between DLSS 1.0 and DLSS 2.0 but much closer to DLSS 1.9.

And while it is true that Sony and MS could be involved FSR, the difference between Nvidia GPUs and AMD GPUs is that Nvidia GPUs are built from the ground up to accelerate ML calculations required to make DLSS work. While Xbox and Playstation does have their own ML accelerators, we know for a fact from Microsoft's Series X deep dive presentation that on paper, a 2060 from 3 years ago is twice as fast at doing INT-8 operations than a Series X. So while I am sure FSR will get wider adoption compared to DLSS, I doubt that FSR will be able to catch up to DLSS in quality and performance without a hardware revamp.

It's kind of like comparing VRR/Freesync to G-sync. Nvidia came out with G-sync and then eventually, AMD came out with Freesync which eventually got widely adopted into VRR. But that doesn't mean G-sync still doesn't have it's advantages. G-sync works from 1fps and above while the Series X's VRR requires a minimum of 30fps and the ps5 does not have it yet. So even though VRR is an industry standard that is much more widely adopted across TVs and both old generation and new generation consoles, G-sync is still better with it's adaptive sync technology because of Nvidia's hardware implementation.

Last edited by Jizz_Beard_thePirate - on 21 May 2021

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:
Chazore said:

I mean, AMD are likely to use it on PC first, instead of weirdly going consoles only first, only for 1st party exclusives to then somehow push it on PC against Nvidia.

That last vote point makes no sense when you have to consider that AMD makes the tech available on PC, usually first if anything.

What we have to do is wait and see how this performs across the board (PC and consoles) once it's out and pitted against DLSS to see if it's any good. Last thing we need is a piece of tech being adopted that's worse off than what a competitor is providing that's good/decent.

I never said it was going to consoles first. I said it's first going to pc. I said it wont be long at all untill it goes to consoles. And the last vote point was not meant to mean its coming to consoles first. I meant it wont come to pc this year but neither to consoles.

We dont have to wait at all. Just like rtx nvidea has a 2 year head start on this tech. Nvedia will be ahead and all insiders already say as much. Its gona land somewhere between dlss v1 and v2. Amd needs the consoles to push fsr for them. Thats a guaranty username of over 100m while nvedia already has a full gen of cards put there and the latest is probably selling more than amd. 

And I also dont mean exclusives only will use fsr. I said they will be the first to push it cuz MS and sony have been working closely with amd so their internal studios would have more acces to this tech as this progressed while third partys probably got it once it was complete. 

AMD can use PC to push it as well. I don't see how they need to leverage consoles like some weird force to use against Nvidia, when they could also use their PC side as a means to show what it is capable of doing, and well, they'll have to anyway.

We'll be waiting because AMD hasn't brought theirs to the table yet, they are only talking about it right now. At this current time we have Nvidia's DLSS, which is avaible on PC currently, but for AMD's we are definitely and currently waiting to see how theirs turns out when it finally shows up.

Just like how Nvidia is getting in talks with third party devs and even MS, AMD will likely be doing the same with their version to third party and Sony/MS.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Captain_Yuri said:
eva01beserk said:

I cant speak for the quality of the product. Insiders only say its somewhere between dlss 1 and 2. But that's where sony and MS come in. That's an advantage amd has over nvedia. They will work closely toghether and improve the tech at a higher speed than nvidia could alone. Add to that the install base theese 2 consoles will have in a few years. So even if fsr is behind dlss at launch it will catch up soon and beat it just for the crazzy amount of support its gona have.

And for the june 1 event is my main reason for this thread. They are doing it as early as possible to let sony and ms prep for their e3 event. Like you said if the amd says they are ready a week later or whenever e3 will be Sony and ms will say they been working on something and present something. Im betting ratchet and clank will be anothet big showcase for this. They already said its gona be 4k30 rtx. Im sure they are gona say then fsr 4k60 with rtx.

Well DLSS 1.0 was terrible and arguably worse than most modern TAA upscaling solutions. The only good DLSS implementation prior to DLSS 2.0 was DLSS 1.9 and the problem with that was that it wasn't easy to implement while still having some issues, especially in motion. DLSS 2.0 is when DLSS actually became good because it was easy to implement while fixing majority of the issues that DLSS 1.9 had. But the TAA Upscaling shown in the video would be in between DLSS 1.0 and DLSS 2.0 but much closer to DLSS 1.9.

And while it is true that Sony and MS could be involved FSR, the difference between Nvidia GPUs and AMD GPUs is that Nvidia GPUs are built from the ground up to accelerate ML calculations required to make DLSS work. While Xbox and Playstation does have their own ML accelerators, we know for a fact from Microsoft's Series X deep dive presentation that on paper, a 2060 from 3 years ago is twice as fast at doing INT-8 operations than a Series X. So while I am sure FSR will get wider adoption compared to DLSS, I doubt that FSR will be able to catch up to DLSS in quality and performance without a hardware revamp.

It's kind of like comparing VRR/Freesync to G-sync. Nvidia came out with G-sync and then eventually, AMD came out with Freesync which eventually got widely adopted into VRR. But that doesn't mean G-sync still doesn't have it's advantages. G-sync works from 1fps and above while the Series X's VRR requires a minimum of 30fps and the ps5 does not have it yet. So even though VRR is an industry standard that is much more widely adopted across TVs and both old generation and new generation consoles, G-sync is still better with it's adaptive sync technology because of Nvidia's hardware implementation.

You answer your own question. I never said the consoles where gona be supririor in any way. I said they where gona push the tech harder than nvedia ever could on its own. The pc space will have cards much more powerful the consoles ever hope to be. But that's where scaling comes in. Wheever they push the tech on consoles the discreet cards wich have more juice will do an even better job and on the PC space amd will have an advantage. All thanks to amds solution being the more wide spread one. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
Captain_Yuri said:

You answer your own question. I never said the consoles where gona be supririor in any way. I said they where gona push the tech harder than nvedia ever could on its own. The pc space will have cards much more powerful the consoles ever hope to be. But that's where scaling comes in. Wheever they push the tech on consoles the discreet cards wich have more juice will do an even better job and on the PC space amd will have an advantage. All thanks to amds solution being the more wide spread one. 

Ah I see. Yea cause I was a bit confused cause I did say in my original post "I think the main benefit of FSR will be the fact that it can be a plug in that can be used across multiple engines instead of some engines having upscaling features while others not." So it sounds like we are in an agreement. One thing I will mention is that it's rumoured that FSR is going to work with Nvidia GPUs as well similar to how all the other AMD's Fidelityfx technologies work on Nvidia GPUs. If that does end up being the case, Nvidia gpus on PC will have both DLSS and Super Resolution to choose from. So I certainly won't be complaining if that becomes the case.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:
eva01beserk said:

Ah I see. Yea cause I was a bit confused cause I did say in my original post "I think the main benefit of FSR will be the fact that it can be a plug in that can be used across multiple engines instead of some engines having upscaling features while others not." So it sounds like we are in an agreement. One thing I will mention is that it's rumoured that FSR is going to work with Nvidia GPUs as well similar to how all the other AMD's Fidelityfx technologies work on Nvidia GPUs. If that does end up being the case, Nvidia gpus on PC will have both DLSS and Super Resolution to choose from. So I certainly won't be complaining if that becomes the case.

I hears the same. But does that mean it would have the same performance? Or will amd dedicated cards will use its own feture a bit better? Like SAM? 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:
Captain_Yuri said:

I hears the same. But does that mean it would have the same performance? Or will amd dedicated cards will use its own feture a bit better? Like SAM? 

Hard to tell since you could see SAM as something being built from the ground up to take advantage of RDNA 2 and this might be something similar. If it doesn't have any ML, it certainly won't be faster on Nvidia GPUs but if it's similar to TAA Upscaling, then it will be similar on both GPUs. AMD GPUs does intend to perform better in Raster and Lower Resolution scenarios so I'd imagine it will be the usual game dependent. If a game is mainly Raster, AMD will see more benefits and if the game is mainly Ray Tracing, Nvidia will see more benefits.

Chazore said:
eva01beserk said:

I never said it was going to consoles first. I said it's first going to pc. I said it wont be long at all untill it goes to consoles. And the last vote point was not meant to mean its coming to consoles first. I meant it wont come to pc this year but neither to consoles.

We dont have to wait at all. Just like rtx nvidea has a 2 year head start on this tech. Nvedia will be ahead and all insiders already say as much. Its gona land somewhere between dlss v1 and v2. Amd needs the consoles to push fsr for them. Thats a guaranty username of over 100m while nvedia already has a full gen of cards put there and the latest is probably selling more than amd. 

And I also dont mean exclusives only will use fsr. I said they will be the first to push it cuz MS and sony have been working closely with amd so their internal studios would have more acces to this tech as this progressed while third partys probably got it once it was complete. 

AMD can use PC to push it as well. I don't see how they need to leverage consoles like some weird force to use against Nvidia, when they could also use their PC side as a means to show what it is capable of doing, and well, they'll have to anyway.

We'll be waiting because AMD hasn't brought theirs to the table yet, they are only talking about it right now. At this current time we have Nvidia's DLSS, which is avaible on PC currently, but for AMD's we are definitely and currently waiting to see how theirs turns out when it finally shows up.

Just like how Nvidia is getting in talks with third party devs and even MS, AMD will likely be doing the same with their version to third party and Sony/MS.

They don't exactly need the consoles. But why go to war an not bring theese 2 big guns that want to help and it would benefit them as well? 

eva01beserk said:

They don't exactly need the consoles. But why go to war an not bring theese 2 big guns that want to help and it would benefit them as well? 

Because those two guns are on a totally different platform and have their own targets to meet specifically?.

Consoles for the longest time have been fine with aiming for 30fps 4k, only recently trying to aim for 60-120fps and 4k. With PC we're looking for bigger boons to fps, and res bumps are just there for us to choose from, but the perf boost is what we're mostly after, so naturally I'd want AMD to perfect it on that platform first, before we all think of mass adopting it.

Like I said, the last thing we need as a whole is adopting something that isn't up to par with what another party is offering. If AMD's offering is lesser than DLSS and everyone mass adopts it, then Nvidia is likely going to either drop it like they dropped hairworks and partly g-sync or having to pay more out of the pocket to get sponsor deals to then get DLSS into selected games (instead of all of them, and not every game I know features both AMD and Nvidia tech together, let alone playing super nicely with each other on their respective cards).

From my pov AMD has got to bring the A+ game, or it should go home, because I don't want to see people accepting less and thinking that's dandy when someone is clearly offering better.

Last edited by Chazore - on 21 May 2021

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Captain_Yuri said:

I wouldn't complain if all devs allow it to be optional, but if we go back to "sponsored" games, where AMD makes theirs the only choice, it's going to become irksome.

I know both sides do this, but honestly, going by a lot of GPU benchmarks, Nvidia ends up earning those perf kudos (especially in RT), while AMD still needs to work on theirs. 

Chazore said:
eva01beserk said:

Because those two guns are on a totally different platform and have their own targets to meet specifically?.

Consoles for the longest time have been fine with aiming for 30fps 4k, only recently trying to aim for 60-120fps and 4k. With PC we're looking for bigger boons to fps, and res bumps are just there for us to choose from, but the perf boost is what we're mostly after, so naturally I'd want AMD to perfect it on that platform first, before we all think of mass adopting it.

Like I said, the last thing we need as a whole is adopting something that isn't up to par with what another party is offering. If AMD's offering is lesser than DLSS and everyone mass adopts it, then Nvidia is likely going to either drop it like they dropped hairworks and partly g-sync or having to pay more out of the pocket to get sponsor deals to then get DLSS into selected games (instead of all of them, and not every game I know features both AMD and Nvidia tech together, let alone playing super nicely with each other on their respective cards).

From my pov AMD has got to bring the A+ game, or it should go home, because I don't want to see people accepting less and thinking that's dandy when someone is clearly offering better.

How exactly do you supose they get better if they come out lacking? It takes developement not just from hardware manufactures but also from software devs. And that's why consoles will be amds best allies in this war. Because consoles have set hardware and need to improve their software as time goes on as much as possible to keep up. Just look at sonys latest years their games are always outdoing themselves and getting better and better and always getting game of the year. This is the kind of push that consoles make. Cuz lets be honest. If amds fsr comes out crappy, pc gamets are already majority nvidea and they wont even give the time of day to amd. It would end up dead before they can improve it.