By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts April 2021 Discussion Thread

Share the article here.

Switch vs DS Sales Comparison - April 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo DS.

The DS launched in November 2004 in North America, December 2004 in Japan, and March 2005 in Europe, while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. DS Global:

Gap change in latest month: 5,327,957 - DS

Gap change over last 12 months: 639,308 - DS

Total Lead: 8,510,533 - DS

Switch Total Sales: 84,880,177

DS Total Sales: 93,390,710

April 2021 is the 50th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the DS by 5.33 million units when compared to the Switch during the same timeframe. In the last 12 months, the DS has outsold the Switch by 639,308 units. The DS is ahead of the Switch by 8.51 million units.

The 50th month on sale for the Nintendo Switch is April 2021, while for the DS it is December 2008. The Switch has sold 84.88 million units, while the DS sold 93.39 million units during the same timeframe.

The Nintendo DS sold 154.02 million units lifetime. The Nintendo Switch is currently 69.14 million units behind the lifetime sales of the DS.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Just tanked the NDS's biggest month. NDS will sell ~27.3M over its next 12 months. I believe the NSW will outperform that figure in its next 12.

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Sales Comparison - April 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S.

The PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S both launched in November 2020. The PlayStation 5 launched November 12, 2020 in North America, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea, and Singapore, and the rest of the world on November 19, 2020. The Xbox Series X|S launched worldwide on November 10, 2020.

PS5 Vs. XSX|S Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 523,794 - PS5

Total Lead: 3,225,557 - PS5

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 8,039,717

Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 4,814,160

April 2021 is the sixth month the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 5 when compared to the aligned launch of the Xbox Series X|S by 523,794 units. The PlayStation 5 is currently ahead by 3.23 million units.

The PlayStation 5 has sold 8.04 million units in six months, while the Xbox Series X|S sold 4.81 million units.

The PlayStation 5 is currently 358,070 units ahead of the PlayStation 4 when you align launches and the Xbox Series X|S is ahead of the Xbox One by 558,858 units.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

At this rate I feel like the PS to Xbox ratio this gen is gonna be pretty similar to last gen. Hopes of a closer contest look very unlikely now.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 19 May 2021

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

At this rate I feel like the PS to Xbox ratio this gen is gonna be pretty similar to last gen. Hopes of a closer contest look very unlikely now.

I am expecting the race to be a bit closer. Somewhere between the PS3 vs 360, which was basically a tie and the PS4 and XOne which was more than 2:1 in favor of the PS4. I am guessing 70-80m for the XS and 100-110m for the PS5. 

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

I am expecting the race to be a bit closer. Somewhere between the PS3 vs 360, which was basically a tie and the PS4 and XOne which was more than 2:1 in favor of the PS4. I am guessing 70-80m for the XS and 100-110m for the PS5. 

I wish I had your faith in MS/Xbox; personally I expect it'll still end up around 2:1, as I haven't seen anything so far to show that the Xbox Series will gain significant ground on Playstation.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

This contest is way to early to call.  Neither one has released any significant exclusives for their system yet.  Both are basically selling on backwards compatibility and cross-gen releases.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
curl-6 said:

This contest is way to early to call.  Neither one has released any significant exclusives for their system yet.  Both are basically selling on backwards compatibility and cross-gen releases.

I feel pretty confident in calling a PS5 win even at this early stage simply due to their brand being so much stronger and Xbox Series not bringing enough changes to the table to combat that.

curl-6 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I feel pretty confident in calling a PS5 win even at this early stage simply due to their brand being so much stronger and Xbox Series not bringing enough changes to the table to combat that.

We know that Microsoft has bought a lot of studios lately.  That is a pretty big change in itself.  Wouldn't it be wise to see the sales impact from exclusive games before jumping to conclusions?

Also, I seem to recall that you were not confident at all about the Switch's success for years.  How can you be so confident of the PS5's success?

The_Liquid_Laser said:
curl-6 said:

We know that Microsoft has bought a lot of studios lately.  That is a pretty big change in itself.  Wouldn't it be wise to see the sales impact from exclusive games before jumping to conclusions?

Also, I seem to recall that you were not confident at all about the Switch's success for years.  How can you be so confident of the PS5's success?

Because it is in the near future basically impossible that a playstation home console will fail completely. Developers - and I do not mean only 1st and 2nd-party, but also 3rd party - will do everything possible to make Playstation 5-6-7-8 sell as good as possible. Unless MS starts to buy like every single big videogame company in the world, but that wont happen^^.

Even if Sony completely fucks it up, the bottom line for PS home console should be like 80 million or so. If Sony puts just some effort into it, the will end up 100 million by default.