By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts April 2021 Discussion Thread

The_Liquid_Laser said:
curl-6 said:

At this rate I feel like the PS to Xbox ratio this gen is gonna be pretty similar to last gen. Hopes of a closer contest look very unlikely now.

This contest is way to early to call.  Neither one has released any significant exclusives for their system yet.  Both are basically selling on backwards compatibility and cross-gen releases.

I feel pretty confident in calling a PS5 win even at this early stage simply due to their brand being so much stronger and Xbox Series not bringing enough changes to the table to combat that.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

This contest is way to early to call.  Neither one has released any significant exclusives for their system yet.  Both are basically selling on backwards compatibility and cross-gen releases.

I feel pretty confident in calling a PS5 win even at this early stage simply due to their brand being so much stronger and Xbox Series not bringing enough changes to the table to combat that.

We know that Microsoft has bought a lot of studios lately.  That is a pretty big change in itself.  Wouldn't it be wise to see the sales impact from exclusive games before jumping to conclusions?

Also, I seem to recall that you were not confident at all about the Switch's success for years.  How can you be so confident of the PS5's success?

The_Liquid_Laser said:
curl-6 said:

We know that Microsoft has bought a lot of studios lately.  That is a pretty big change in itself.  Wouldn't it be wise to see the sales impact from exclusive games before jumping to conclusions?

Also, I seem to recall that you were not confident at all about the Switch's success for years.  How can you be so confident of the PS5's success?

Because it is in the near future basically impossible that a playstation home console will fail completely. Developers - and I do not mean only 1st and 2nd-party, but also 3rd party - will do everything possible to make Playstation 5-6-7-8 sell as good as possible. Unless MS starts to buy like every single big videogame company in the world, but that wont happen^^.

Even if Sony completely fucks it up, the bottom line for PS home console should be like 80 million or so. If Sony puts just some effort into it, the will end up 100 million by default.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
curl-6 said:

PS consoles are a lot more consistent than Nintendo's in terms of sales.

Their worst selling still sold 87 million, and that was with an almost perfect storm of fuckups.

curl-6 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Their worst selling still sold 87 million, and that was with an almost perfect storm of fuckups.

How was the PS3 a perfect storm of fuckups?  They followed the same strategy for the PS4 and now the PS5.  The only difference is that the starting price was too high on the PS3.  That's not a perfect storm.  That's one fuckup.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
curl-6 said:

How was the PS3 a perfect storm of fuckups?  They followed the same strategy for the PS4 and now the PS5.  The only difference is that the starting price was too high on the PS3.  That's not a perfect storm.  That's one fuckup.

Price wasn't PS3's only fuckup. The marketing and communication surrounding it was a total clusterfuck for the first few years, and multiplat games looked and played significantly worse on it than on 360 during the same time period.

PS4 and PS5 had none of these issues.

curl-6 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Price wasn't PS3's only fuckup. The marketing and communication surrounding it was a total clusterfuck for the first few years, and multiplat games looked and played significantly worse on it than on 360 during the same time period.

This feels like "internet history" instead of real history.  I remember PS3 had a coolness factor when it was released.  However, it was too cool, because it cost way too much.  Also PS3 and XBox360 games looked and played basically the same.  This was mostly a disadvantage, because the PS3 cost more.

I do believe that XBox360 had a better online service at the time, but I wouldn't call that a fuckup by Sony as much as a smart move by Microsoft.  Also, playing on Series S and/or Gamepass is cheaper than the PS5 route, so PS5 does actually have a cost disadvantage this time around as well.  PS5 strategy is pretty similar to PS3 strategy.  This could easily lead to a similar result.  It's really too early to call at this point.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
curl-6 said:

This feels like "internet history" instead of real history.  I remember PS3 had a coolness factor when it was released.  However, it was too cool, because it cost way too much.  Also PS3 and XBox360 games looked and played basically the same.  This was mostly a disadvantage, because the PS3 cost more.

I do believe that XBox360 had a better online service at the time, but I wouldn't call that a fuckup by Sony as much as a smart move by Microsoft.  Also, playing on Series S and/or Gamepass is cheaper than the PS5 route, so PS5 does actually have a cost disadvantage this time around as well.  PS5 strategy is pretty similar to PS3 strategy.  This could easily lead to a similar result.  It's really too early to call at this point.

I don't think it's too early to call at all. PS3 had severe real world handicaps and still sold 87 million. PS consoles have an almost 30 year unbroken record of sales over 87 million and PS5 is the fastest selling console in history so far.

If anything it's Gamepass being a killer app that's an internet thing; people rave about it on forums but it sure didn't help the Xbone and given that the Series S lies on shelves unsold across the globe, it's not really helping Xbox Series much either.

The race is already over.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 21 May 2021

curl-6 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I don't think it's too early to call at all. PS3 had severe real world handicaps and still sold 87 million. PS consoles have an almost 30 year unbroken record of sales over 87 million and PS5 is the fastest selling console in history so far.

If anything it's Gamepass being a killer app that's an internet thing; people rave about it on forums but it sure didn't help the Xbone and given that the Series S lies on shelves unsold across the globe, it's not really helping Xbox Series much either.

You've already called the whole ball game, when we are still in the beginning of the first quarter.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
curl-6 said:

You've already called the whole ball game, when we are still in the beginning of the first quarter.

If you care to bet, I'll bet you a month's self-imposed ban from VGChartz that PS5 will outsell Xbox Series.