By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts April 2021 Discussion Thread

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

True, but around 2016 Nintendo just seemed so completely and hopelessly out of touch I just had no confidence in them anymore. I'm very glad to have been mistaken.

They were biding their time and saving up some great games for a killer first year to get momentum going out of the gate. 

True, but we didn't know that in 2016 though.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

Switch vs PS4 Sales Comparison - April 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the PlayStation 4.

The PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013, while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. PS4 Global:

Gap change in latest month: 1,594,229 - PS4

Gap change over last 12 months: 9,017,604 - Switch

Total Lead: 11,351,550 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 84,880,177

PS4 Total Sales: 73,528,627

April 2021 is the 50th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 4 by 1.59 million units when compared to the Switch during the same timeframe. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the PlayStation 4 by 9.02 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the PlayStation 4 by 11.35 million units.

The 50th month on sale for the Nintendo Switch is April 2021, while for the PlayStation 4 it is December 2017. The Switch has sold 84.88 million units, while the PlayStation 4 sold 73.53 million units during the same timeframe. The PlayStation 4 did not reach current Switch sales until month 60.

The PlayStation 4 has sold 115.52 million units through March 2021. The Nintendo Switch is currently 30.64 million units behind the lifetime sales of the PlayStation 4.

At the beginning of 2020 there was a thread where 2/3 of forum posters voted that Switch would never outsell PS4.  This is quite a change from basically a year and a half ago.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

After the colossal failure of the Wii U I just had no faith left in Nintendo at the time.

A new generation is a fresh start. Look at what Nintendo has done. GameCube to Wii to Wii U to Switch. It is like a rollercoaster of success. 

Well, I'd hope for some stability for once. I'm not sure if the company can sustain so many ups and downs, having to reinvent their whole hardware strategy every two generations has to be straining. Once the Switch's successor comes, I hope it just continues with the Switch's strategy (and it's BC, because if it uses cartridges there's no reason not to expect it).

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

2.4 Million units in an "average" april. With that I mean no kind of big realease or something like that. Thats incredible.

Darwinianevolution said:
trunkswd said:

A new generation is a fresh start. Look at what Nintendo has done. GameCube to Wii to Wii U to Switch. It is like a rollercoaster of success. 

Well, I'd hope for some stability for once. I'm not sure if the company can sustain so many ups and downs, having to reinvent their whole hardware strategy every two generations has to be straining. Once the Switch's successor comes, I hope it just continues with the Switch's strategy (and it's BC, because if it uses cartridges there's no reason not to expect it).

I feel and hope the same. Switch 2 should be like Switch, but with more advanced tech. So basically a boring hardware-update, but I think due to the huge success, it is the best Nintendo could do.

Darwinianevolution said:
trunkswd said:

Completely agree; the Switch successor should be the same concept just with a generational leap in power and better Joycons, no unnecessary gimmicks.

Around the Network

@trunkswd In the graphs the orange line is "subtitled" PS4.

PS3 sold really really bad in the beginning, but instead of dropping it, all developers did their best to still make it sales-wise a success in the end.

I've been thinking; how about Xbox Series vs 3DS?

If XS sells better than Xbox One, then the 3DS is the next system up in sales that we have tracking data for.

Could be an interesting matchup, one I'd really like to see.

360 had a slow start, but long legs; Series will have its work cut out for it keeping up in the long run unless they really step things up, can't rely on early adopters forever.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 25 May 2021

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

360 had a slow start, but long legs; Series will have its work cut out for it keeping up in the long run unless they really step things up, can't rely on early adopters forever.

Xbox One was tracking ahead of the Xbox 360 for a long while before it fizzled out and the 360 gained momentum. 

Yeah, unless something changes drastically I expect the same thing to happen with XS vs 360.

So what do you reckon, would Xbox Series vs 3DS be a comparison we can make a monthly thing, as it's next up from Xbone is sales out of the platforms we have tracked?

Well, this comparison looks like it's going to get retired in a couple of months. I'll miss seeing it. I love see Switch climb up that cliff.