By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts April 2021 Discussion Thread

curl-6 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

You've already called the whole ball game, when we are still in the beginning of the first quarter.

If you care to bet, I'll bet you a month's self-imposed ban from VGChartz that PS5 will outsell Xbox Series.

A few posts ago you said that PS5 would outsell Series X in a 2:1 ratio (or more).  Now in this bet, you are having the Series X sales double.  What happened to your confidence?

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
curl-6 said:

If you care to bet, I'll bet you a month's self-imposed ban from VGChartz that PS5 will outsell Xbox Series.

A few posts ago you said that PS5 would outsell Series X in a 2:1 ratio (or more).  Now in this bet, you are having the Series X sales double.  What happened to your confidence?

My rule with bets is only take them if I'm over 90% sure.

I'm like 99% sure PS5 will outsell Xbox Series.

More like 60% sure it'll be by 2:1 or more.

I have absolute confidence in a Playstation victory, that bets on the table if you want it.

curl-6 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

My rule with bets is only take them if I'm over 90% sure.

I'm like 99% sure PS5 will outsell Xbox Series.

More like 60% sure it'll be by 2:1 or more.

I have absolute confidence in a Playstation victory, that bets on the table if you want it.

That's my misunderstanding.  I thought your confidence was in the 2:1 ratio (or more).

Loosing only about 1.6 Million in a comparison April -vs- December is really amazing.

Switch numbers are insane again

I'm interested in that PS5-XSX ratio. The ratio between PS4 and XOne now sits at 2.307:1, while PS5-XSX ratio sits at 1,676:1. I'm expecting PS5 to gain some advantage as long as there will be chip semiconductor shortages. When that situation is risolved I think we may start to see the gap shrinking, slowly. My prediction is that PS5 to XSX ratio will stand at around 1.70-1.75:1, so if we imagine that PS5 will sell 115m units we should see XSX selling 65.7m-67.6m units and I think it's doable for Microsoft. Let's see

Zanark best Inazuma Eleven pg

Around the Network
trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

Switch vs PS4 Sales Comparison - April 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the PlayStation 4.

The PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013, while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. PS4 Global:

Gap change in latest month: 1,594,229 - PS4

Gap change over last 12 months: 9,017,604 - Switch

Total Lead: 11,351,550 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 84,880,177

PS4 Total Sales: 73,528,627

April 2021 is the 50th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 4 by 1.59 million units when compared to the Switch during the same timeframe. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the PlayStation 4 by 9.02 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the PlayStation 4 by 11.35 million units.

The 50th month on sale for the Nintendo Switch is April 2021, while for the PlayStation 4 it is December 2017. The Switch has sold 84.88 million units, while the PlayStation 4 sold 73.53 million units during the same timeframe. The PlayStation 4 did not reach current Switch sales until month 60.

The PlayStation 4 has sold 115.52 million units through March 2021. The Nintendo Switch is currently 30.64 million units behind the lifetime sales of the PlayStation 4.

Goddamn, even the Ps4's holiday season in its peak year failed to make a considerable dent in the Switch's lead. The helix has well and truly unraveled.

Having an aligned lead of over 11 million over the 4th highest selling system of all time is bonkers.
And this is the end of PS4's peak year aligned, while there is a chance Switch's peak may be its 5th.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Having an aligned lead of over 11 million over the 4th highest selling system of all time is bonkers.
And this is the end of PS4's peak year aligned, while there is a chance Switch's peak may be its 5th.

I wouldn't have called how well the Switch would be selling at this point in its life. I was thinking it would sell similar to the Wii lifetime and didn't imagine it would have a chance to surpass the DS or PS2. 

Yeah pre-launch I honestly thought the Switch would fail. Never imagined it would be in with a chance of outselling the PS2.

Imagine going back to 2016 and telling people the Wii U's successor would outsell the PS4, you'd be called delusional.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah pre-launch I honestly thought the Switch would fail. Never imagined it would be in with a chance of outselling the PS2.

Imagine going back to 2016 and telling people the Wii U's successor would outsell the PS4, you'd be called delusional.

Once the Switch was unveiled and we saw the first year's lineup I knew it was going to be at a minimum a decent success. Having all the usual Nintendo games and mainline Pokemon games were going to sell a decent amount. The Switch is the first Nintendo platform I've owned since the N64 and Game Boy Color. I couldn't pass up Mario Odyssey as Mario 64 is my favorite Nintendo game of all time and the gen 1 Pokemon remakes as I loved Red / Blue / Yellow as a kid. 

After the colossal failure of the Wii U I just had no faith left in Nintendo at the time.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

After the colossal failure of the Wii U I just had no faith left in Nintendo at the time.

A new generation is a fresh start. Look at what Nintendo has done. GameCube to Wii to Wii U to Switch. It is like a rollercoaster of success. 

True, but around 2016 Nintendo just seemed so completely and hopelessly out of touch I just had no confidence in them anymore. I'm very glad to have been mistaken.