By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts April 2021 Discussion Thread

Yeah I'll be sorry to see this one go, it so satisfying to see Switch break ahead after it being close for so long and close the gap by leaps and bounds each month.

Around the Network

The tortoise race continues, yet it's still an interesting one to watch as it remains relatively close even on the home strip.

PS4 and Xbox One vs PS3 and Xbox 360 is kind of "the biggest comeback in history". xD Almost 25 Million behind after 5 years, but still winning (probably^^) in the end.

Amazing how fast the Switch caught up to the 3DS in Japan, after falling so far behind early on.

3DS had a great first few years in Japan but as with everywhere else, it's legs gave out somewhat in the latter half of it's life.

Switch by contrast is going from strength to strength and could potentially peak in it's 5th year.

With 3DS sales now more or less final and Switch just 4.9m behind in Japan, the newer system's victory is all but assured.

Around the Network

Switch starting to break away; I doubt Xbox Series will sell even half as much lifetime.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Switch starting to break away; I doubt Xbox Series will sell even half as much lifetime.

Early sales don't say everything. Look at the Switch. Or look at how the Xbox One was tracking ahead of the Xbox 360 early on, but would end up selling 35 million fewer units. But I do agree it is VERY unlikely Xbox Series X|S will come close to the Switch. As I did PS5 vs Switch, it only made sense to do XS vs Switch.

Oh I'm not not saying sales so far necessarily prove anything, I'm basing my long term estimations on other factors.

trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

Switch vs Wii Sales Comparison in Europe - April 2021 

This monthly series compares the aligned European sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo Wii.

The Wii launched in December 2006, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. Wii Europe:

Gap change in latest month: 115,687 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,837,379 - Switch

Total Lead: 5,043,905 - Wii

Switch Total Sales: 22,008,552

Wii Total Sales: 27,052,457

April 2021 is the 50th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in Europe. During the latest month, the Switch caught up by 115,687 units when you align the launches of it with the Wii. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the Wii by just 1.84 million units. The Wii is currently ahead of the Switch by 5.04 million units.

The 50th month for the Nintendo Switch is April 2021 and for the Wii it is January 2011. The Switch has sold 22.01 million units, while the Wii sold 27.05 million units during the same timeframe. The Wii sold current Switch sales in month 40.

The Wii sold 33.88 million units in Europe during its lifetime. The Switch needs to sell another 11.87 million units to outsell the Wii.

The Wii has a good lead here, but the Gap change for the past 12 months was 1.8m in the Switch's favor.  Considering the Wii's best days are behind it in this chart, we are going to see the Switch gradually come back by having much better legs than the Wii.

That was the last big holiday for the Wii, now the Switch will be catching up quicker.

Yeah that's pretty much it for the Wii as a fighting force, from here on out it was prematurely cut off. Switch will gain fast from here on out.