By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts April 2021 Discussion Thread

Darwinianevolution said:
trunkswd said:

A new generation is a fresh start. Look at what Nintendo has done. GameCube to Wii to Wii U to Switch. It is like a rollercoaster of success. 

Well, I'd hope for some stability for once. I'm not sure if the company can sustain so many ups and downs, having to reinvent their whole hardware strategy every two generations has to be straining. Once the Switch's successor comes, I hope it just continues with the Switch's strategy (and it's BC, because if it uses cartridges there's no reason not to expect it).

Completely agree; the Switch successor should be the same concept just with a generational leap in power and better Joycons, no unnecessary gimmicks.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

Share the article here.

PS5 vs PS3 Sales Comparison - April 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 3.

The PlayStation 5 launched in November 2020, while the PlayStation 3 launched in November 2007 in North America and Japan and in March 2007 in Europe. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

PS5 Vs. PS3 Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 610,061 - PS5

Total Lead: 4,805,904 - PS5

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 8,039,717

PlayStation 3 Total Sales: 3,233,813

April 2021 is the sixth month the PlayStation 5 has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 5 when compared to the aligned launch of the PlayStation 3 by 610,061 units. The PlayStation 5 is currently ahead by 4.81 million units.

The PlayStation 5 has sold 8.04 million units in six months, while the PlayStation 3 sold 3.23 million units. Month 6 for the PlayStation 5 is April 2021 and for the PlayStation 4 is April 2007.

The PlayStation 3 did not reach current PlayStation 5 sales until month 14 where it had sold 9.17 million units.

The PlayStation 3 crossed 10 million units sold in month 15, 20 million in month 27, and 30 million in month 38. The PlayStation 3 sold 87.4 million units lifetime.

Last edited by trunkswd - on 24 May 2021

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

@trunkswd In the graphs the orange line is "subtitled" PS4.

PS3 sold really really bad in the beginning, but instead of dropping it, all developers did their best to still make it sales-wise a success in the end.

DaAndy said:

@trunkswd In the graphs the orange line is "subtitled" PS4.

PS3 sold really really bad in the beginning, but instead of dropping it, all developers did their best to still make it sales-wise a success in the end.

Yeah I noticed that after I posted it. I've gone and fixed it. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

The next sales comparison article will be comparing the Xbox Series X|S with the Xbox 360. 

Around the Network

I've been thinking; how about Xbox Series vs 3DS?

If XS sells better than Xbox One, then the 3DS is the next system up in sales that we have tracking data for.

Could be an interesting matchup, one I'd really like to see.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Share the article here.

Xbox Series X|S vs Xbox 360 Sales Comparison - April 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Xbox Series X|S and Xbox 360.

The Xbox Series X|S launched in November 2020, while the Xbox 360 launched in November 2005 in North America and December 2005 in Europe and Japan. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

XSX|S Vs. X360 Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 18,382 – X360

Total Lead: 1,906,261 – XSX|S

Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 4,814,160

Xbox 360 Total Sales: 2,909,899

April 2021 is the sixth month the Xbox Series X|S has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Xbox 360 when compared to the aligned launch of the Xbox Series X|S by 18,382 units. The Xbox Series X|S is currently ahead by 1.91 million units.

The Xbox Series X|S has sold 4.81 million units in six months, while the Xbox 360 sold 2.91. million units. Month 6 for the Xbox Series X|S is April 2021 and for the Xbox One is April 2006.

The Xbox Series 360 did not reach current Xbox Series X|S sales until month 12 where it had sold 5.09 million units.

The Xbox 360 crossed 10 million units sold in month 19, 20 million in month 34, and 30 million in month 43. The Xbox 360 sold 85.81 million units lifetime.

360 had a slow start, but long legs; Series will have its work cut out for it keeping up in the long run unless they really step things up, can't rely on early adopters forever.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 25 May 2021

curl-6 said:

360 had a slow start, but long legs; Series will have its work cut out for it keeping up in the long run unless they really step things up, can't rely on early adopters forever.

Xbox One was tracking ahead of the Xbox 360 for a long while before it fizzled out and the 360 gained momentum. 

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Xbox One was tracking ahead of the Xbox 360 for a long while before it fizzled out and the 360 gained momentum. 

Yeah, unless something changes drastically I expect the same thing to happen with XS vs 360.

So what do you reckon, would Xbox Series vs 3DS be a comparison we can make a monthly thing, as it's next up from Xbone is sales out of the platforms we have tracked?