By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor: 2D Metroid, Donkey Kong, Fire Emblem, and Mario Party 2

New 2D Metroid Switch Details Might Have Leaked by Nintendo Insider (wccftech.com)

"According to ‘Zippo’, development on the game has already been completed and Nintendo will likely announce the title during next month’s digital E3 event.

“But yes, a new 2D game from Mercurysteam two hundred percent exists, and is in fact, done”, ‘Zippo’ writes on his blog. “All Nintendo needs to do at this point is announce it. Nintendo (and by extension, Sakamoto.) internally is extremely happy with how the title turned out. The only other thing I've heard recently is that the game is running at [a] very smooth 60FPS. My hard read/prediction is an announcement at their E3 direct next month. Have some patience, bounty hunters, we're almost there.”

Donkey Kong:

It's the big ape's 40th anniversary, and while I'm not sure how Nintendo is celebrating the occasion, there is a new 2D DK game being developed by EPD Tokyo. Retro is obviously busy with other things, so Nintendo has taken it upon themselves to bring DK back in as internal series. Don't expect the "Country" moniker to return, as EPD Tokyo are not interested in making a sequel to games they didn't make. Diddy, Cranky and the Kremling Krew should all be returning in this installment. It sounds like this game is launching before the end of the year. An E3 announcement seems very likely.

Fire Emblem:

I'll be frank, I'm not much of an FE guy, but I'm seriously impressed with how much the franchise has grown in the last five years. It's become a pretty big deal for Nintendo, and I hope that continues. Now, from what I've heard, Intelligent Systems has been working on an FE title that they're developing seperately from Three Houses on their own that is very close to nearing completion. While I haven't been told this part as of this writing, the fans seem pretty sure that this is going to be a remake of the Japan-only Super Famicom title, Genealogy of the Holy War. This makes total sense to me, and it would serve as a nice in-between title while Koei Tecmo works on the follow-up to Three Houses. Given that it's nearly complete, an E3 announcement is incredibly likely.

Super Mario Party 2:

This is the most obvious sequel in the history of the universe, lmao. The original 2018 game has sold far better than anyone could ever have expected, including Nintendo. It's gone on to the be the best selling Mario Party ever, by a wide margin  Not only that, but here's another way to look at it's massive sales: It's outsold every Mario Kart, pre DS, every Animal Crossing, pre New Horizons, as well as every Smash Bros. game, pre Ultimate. Mario Party is a big deal at Nintendo now, they're taking this series seriously, which is why you mysteriously saw that online play update a few weeks ago. I and numerous others see it as a test for SMP2's online. From all accounts, the game should be ready for a holiday release, an E3/summer announcement is once again, extremely likely."

------------------------

My thoughts if these are true:

- 60 FPS Metroid 2-d game sounds wonderful!
- If Metroid 2d is already complete, I could totally see Nintendo doing a major game shadow drop announcement at E3. Hype would explode!

- SMO was amazing, so I'm very excited about EPD's Donkey Kong game!

- Wow, Fire Emblem has come along way! Just a handful or so of years ago it was close to being Axed. I think Awakening was supposed to be its final sendoff game, and now we have two different studios working on entries in the series like it's Call of Duty! What a time!

- If SMP has better online I will be VERY interested. I want minimum of 8 players, 2-3x more maps as SMP had, and dedicated servers to make sure it all runs smoothly!

Last edited by Dulfite - on 13 May 2021

Around the Network

Finally some rumours. I was growing upset E3 is just one month away and nobody was spreading them yet

2D Metroid was speculated since last year, I would love it. Hope it's a brand new game and not a remaster

There was rumours about remakes of Radiant Dawn and Path of Radiance but they turned out to be fake. Fingers crossed for this to be true

New Donkey Kong would be nice, Nintendo always release great platformers 

Any Mario Party is big pass

While its a rumor and it could all be incorrect, I would be happy with 3 of the games and I might be happy with Mario Party depending on how it turns out. I would be bummed if we didn't get more than just SS for Zelda's 35th anniversary, but I would be satisfied with these 4 game announcements if true.

Mario Party DLC would be killer! A sequel works too...

Whatever, just inject it into my veins!

What's this "Zippo's" track record?

Around the Network

Other than Donkey Kong, can't say I'm all that interested in this rumour.

A new 2D Metroid and DK would make E3 for me

A new 2D Metroid that expands on the last Chozo Memory from Samus Returns and takes advantage of the Switch hardware is my wet dream since 2017.

I also hope we get at least an update on Metroid Prime 4. Most people will claim that it's too soon for that... But it's been 2 and a half years since we were informed that the project was restarted. Actual development might have started sooner. 3 years ago? I don't know. My point is... I think they can at least provide a trailer.

noname2200 said:

What's this "Zippo's" track record?

I believe he called PM coming out last year before it was even announced. I think Zippo has done some others as well but I'm not certain.

Vodacixi said:

A new 2D Metroid that expands on the last Chozo Memory from Samus Returns and takes advantage of the Switch hardware is my wet dream since 2017.

I also hope we get at least an update on Metroid Prime 4. Most people will claim that it's too soon for that... But it's been 2 and a half years since we were informed that the project was restarted. Actual development might have started sooner. 3 years ago? I don't know. My point is... I think they can at least provide a trailer.

Agreed. It's time for a trailer. Even if it's just a CGI trailer and not in-engine, I will take what we can get!