By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Resident Evil 8 launch performance- Ships + sells digitally over 3m copies first week

retail sales will be highly attached to new PS5 hardware, this game will probably be charting all year round.

Around the Network
Otter said:
kazuyamishima said:

That rumour is not true. 

I haven't delved into the rumour but Sony has a marketing deal with Capcom for the game, so keeping it off something like Gamepass would seem a natural part of that deal? 

Marketing deal rights is one thing than keeping away the game from appearing on services like GP.

The rumour that he’s suggesting is some contracts that companies like Sony (and MS) make with developers about adding all the possible features of a game if the console is possible to run it, like HDR, resolution, etc. 

But nothing related to not adding the game to GP, it’s more to the fact that Capcom knows the game will sell decently on Xbox consoles and the revenue will be more than what MS would offer them for the game to be day one on GP. 

kazuyamishima said:
Otter said:

I haven't delved into the rumour but Sony has a marketing deal with Capcom for the game, so keeping it off something like Gamepass would seem a natural part of that deal? 

Marketing deal rights is one thing than keeping away the game from appearing on services like GP.

The rumour that he’s suggesting is some contracts that companies like Sony (and MS) make with developers about adding all the possible features of a game if the console is possible to run it, like HDR, resolution, etc. 

But nothing related to not adding the game to GP, it’s more to the fact that Capcom knows the game will sell decently on Xbox consoles and the revenue will be more than what MS would offer them for the game to be day one on GP. 

Your marketing deal is redundant if your competitor can market said game as $9.99 on their platform. Thats just bad business.

It is an awkward time to launch a game, so I am surprised it did pretty well.

If Sony couldn't prevent their on MLB game to be made available on GP because MLB sold out directly to MS it is very hard to believe that the reason RE8 isn't on GP is Sony paying for it. The difference in sales between platforms is just a reminder of the strength of the IP in one platform against the other, unless people will say that the existence of GP made the Xbox players cheapskate that will buy less new games and wait for them to appear on GP.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

I'm about 5-6 hours into the game and it's very good! A well deserved hit for Capcom.

Signature goes here!

I really enjoyed it. Good for Capcom and the talented devs.

DonFerrari said:

If Sony couldn't prevent their on MLB game to be made available on GP because MLB sold out directly to MS it is very hard to believe that the reason RE8 isn't on GP is Sony paying for it. The difference in sales between platforms is just a reminder of the strength of the IP in one platform against the other, unless people will say that the existence of GP made the Xbox players cheapskate that will buy less new games and wait for them to appear on GP.

The leaks were not that sony paid to keep it off gamepass, but that as part of the marketing deal sony are paying for; it simply cannot be on a competitors on-demand/subscrtiption service at launch. This doesn't mean it was ever planned to be on GP.

Sony developed and profits from MLB 21 but that doesn't mean that there's a specific marketing deal in place. They publish on Playstation, MLB publish elsewhere and do as they wish. In the case of RE8 they've literally secured  2 timed exclusive demos with capcom, which means we know they either have a marketing deal in place or they are paying for timed exclusive content. I'm not sure why its a sticking point for anyone when there is no information out there to suggest those leaks were false and they fully line up with all reasonable logic. 

Otter said:
DonFerrari said:

The leaks were not that sony paid to keep it off gamepass, but that as part of the marketing deal sony are paying for; it simply cannot be on a competitors on-demand/subscrtiption service at launch. This doesn't mean it was ever planned to be on GP.

Sony developed and profits from MLB 21 but that doesn't mean that there's a specific marketing deal in place. They publish on Playstation, MLB publish elsewhere and do as they wish. In the case of RE8 they've literally secured  2 timed exclusive demos with capcom, which means we know they either have a marketing deal in place or they are paying for timed exclusive content. I'm not sure why its a sticking point for anyone when there is no information out there to suggest those leaks were false and they fully line up with all reasonable logic. 

It is more that most rumors are false, making sense or not, and this have been seem plenty of time. Sony didn't made arrangements to prevent the occurence to MLB but would go out of their way expending a lot of money to ensure it doesn't get to GP when actually most third party games don't go there even when they have marketing deal with MS?

I'm not moved by rumors, it either can be proved or is more likely to be a construction than anything. For me this rumor have as much credibility as the one Sony paid for Monster Hunter World to not be ported specifically to Switch. Or the rumor that SFV would launch on the other systems on the revisions after the base game.

Day one third party games that I can remember gone to GP weren't blockbusters.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

That document is so funny. It’s true to some people who want to support their narrative only. It was true to some people because they thought Sony forced parity of the game which we now know is false because of the comparisons from DF. But now it still has to be confirmed fake? A document like that doesn’t have to be proved false, it has to be proved true and there was nothing to say that the doc was legit or modded in the first place.

Dusk Golem? LOL The guy who admitted to lying about PS5 RE8 performance struggling and had issues at 1080p because he thought Xbox news that week was too negative. That guy is now a fucking joke and has no credibility when it comes to Playstation skus or news. The 2 skus of this game are near identical but there is a 10% difference in fps with ray tracing during the lake scene area. That’s it. If Dusk Golem says anything in the future about how a Capcom game is running on Playstation hardware no one will believe that fraud ever again.