By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games that were graphically impressive for their time, but are ugly now.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

My issue with commenting on this thread is that I feel as if everytime my initial impression of a game is that it's ugly, even if I play the game for a few hours and still feel that way, by the time the game is over I'm usually used to the graphics and don't mind them or have even found some positive qualities in them.

Like I thought Mario 64 was pretty ugly when I first started, but the charm was a little evident and becomes moreso the more you play.

I think one game where I don't think the game is putrid looking, but is kind of visually ugly, is Silent Hill 2. It's not enough to be terribad, and it does sell the dreaminess of Silent Hill at times. But, honestly, I actually think it's an example of how better graphics can sell a concept worse than the original game. Silent Hill 2's more detailed visual makeup does do a better job of selling a story than Silent Hill 1, but given that this is a Silent Hill game, it's a bit disappointing how the environments are actually less interesting, scary, and dreadful than the originals. 

The originals take on PS1 graphics was that you could essentially make horror games more interesting by embracing the warping of PS1 textures and filling in spaces in the hardware with figurative "blanks" like dream-like fog. I think that the focus on putting more detail into the environment took away a lot of the abstraction and just made Silent Hill 2 look a bit too brown and dull at times, especially in the beginning of the game. I know the game is supposed to conjure up images of morning dew in a rainy early morning storm, and it kind of does a good job of that, but not nearly with the simplistic perfection of Silent Hill 1 - which has much more interesting graphics. In addition, ALL OF THE CHARACTERS have ugly fashion sense, like insanely ugly, and I don't even think it's intentional at times. 

It's actually kind of sad given how much work was put into SH2 being one of the first technical showcases for the PS2.

Ugly today doesn't mean always ugly plus like portable seeing them on the original display medium they were created for makes a difference, another thing to take into account is the role of motion/animation in aiding our perception of visual quality I Assume it would have had an even greater impact back then in regard to motion v static compared to today

and going back my first games machine came with 64k of memory but was also loaded with a petabyte of fun. 

Last edited by mjk45 - on 10 May 2021

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network

Daytona USA, i Remember thinking how good that game looked than seeing it now, its just a bunch of polygons, game is still awesome to play still.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 10 May 2021

Well,even though i can understand that ps1 games etc look ugly for today standarts, i somehow find it has a certain charm to them.

Games like suikoden btw still look impresisve to me.

But yea ps1 games mostly don't age well haha

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Any open-world game pre-Oblivion. It's always harder to have finer details in that sort of game. Games like GTA3 were mind-blowing because they were so open, but the actual environments and models are terrible and often barely look better than N64 graphics. Morrowind fares somewhat better, but its models and textures are still very hard on the eyes. Oblivion is the first open-world game that I feel still looks decent. The human models have aged terribly, but the environments and bright colors still pop.

curl-6 said:

Mass Effect 1.

It was technically ambitious for an early 7th gen game but nowadays its horrendous framerate, rubbery character faces, and rampant texture pop-in make it a real eyesore.

I will agree some of the visual assets haven't aged well in Mass Effect.

However, the framerate and pop in was considered bad at the time. I just thought the 360 was being pushed to its limit given that was one of the most impressive games of 2007.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
ironmanDX said:

To be fair that's not the best the game can look. Seems like the gamma is too high and the game looks much better when the resolution is boosted.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

It's very easy to trash 5th and 6th gen games, but honestly I think a lot of the great games of that era really used the limitations of the hardware to their advantage, creating a stronger atmosphere with the low-res textures. Can't help but feel the reason people think they hold up poorly, is because they don't know how to make them look good on a modern tv, or they have watched heavily compressed youtube videos uploaded in low resolution.
I played through the Panzer Dragoon trilogy on Saturn resently, and was blown away by the atmosphere, mysticism and lore they were able to create with their visual style. The remake of the first game threw all of that away. Also Night into Dreams' visuals have a dream-like quality that fits very well with the themes of the game, creating a brilliant atmosphere, that wasn't entirely preserved when the textures were updated for the 7th gen remaster.

Too me the visuals that don't hold up well are not the blocky old ones, but those that didn't really have an identity to begin with. Especially during the 7th gen we saw a lot of that. I remember how people were amazed by GTA4's visuals. Rockstar really worked hard on those, so hard in fact, they forgot to make a fun game. The reviewers were unanimously impressed by the graphics, but they just look like shit today.

The fifth one isn't much better

I actually hardly ever think something that looked good back then looks ugly now. When I play something older, I just get in that state of mind where you just judge things relative to what they can be. The things I find ugly now are also the things I found ugly back then and those are usually terrible and terrible looking games to begin with. I’m talking Superman 64 or Bubsy 3D. Good stuff like the 64 Zeldas, Banjo or Crash still look good to me. Nevermind the better stuff from the 4th and 6th gen.

It took this thread for me to realize that some people considered Goldeneye 64 "graphically impressive" tbh. For me, it was always ugly, even back in 1997
Almost the entire first gen that did the jump to 3D (PS1 - N64) aged terribly, but at the same time I grew up with those games so I dont care much. Some games that I used to think looked pretty, like Ogre Battle 64, still feel that way and are still a blast to play.

Pre rendered backgrounds were a smart way to bypass the limitations of the era and usually looked good. 

Last edited by Jpcc86 - on 10 May 2021

I remember in 1997 the Madden franchise was taking a lot of flak for still using sprites when it's competitors like Gameday NFL Gameday were using polygons.  (Madden switched over to polygons the following year.)  But, even at the time, I thought the sprites in Madden NFL 98' looked so much cleaner and more realistic than NFL Gameday 98's cartoonish looking polygons.