By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games that were graphically impressive for their time, but are ugly now.

Vinther1991 said:

It's very easy to trash 5th and 6th gen games, but honestly I think a lot of the great games of that era really used the limitations of the hardware to their advantage, creating a stronger atmosphere with the low-res textures. Can't help but feel the reason people think they hold up poorly, is because they don't know how to make them look good on a modern tv, or they have watched heavily compressed youtube videos uploaded in low resolution.
I played through the Panzer Dragoon trilogy on Saturn resently, and was blown away by the atmosphere, mysticism and lore they were able to create with their visual style. The remake of the first game threw all of that away. Also Night into Dreams' visuals have a dream-like quality that fits very well with the themes of the game, creating a brilliant atmosphere, that wasn't entirely preserved when the textures were updated for the 7th gen remaster.

Lots of people don't know anything about using RGB and/or Component connectors to make older games look better. I agree that the Panzer Series still looks pretty good for the gen it was on. The Saturn could easily outpower the PS1 if the developers knew what they were doing.

Around the Network

Madden 2001 PS2. The players eyes moved and had facial expressions. It looked good for the time. Previous gen if a player had a face it was a picture stretched over the model's head at best.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Almost many native 3D based games starting from 5th to 7th gen looked ugly now due to missing graphical features, low polygonal and real-time geometry environmental(or even balancing creation problems), which no wonder the graphics mod communities are supporting legacy games like endlessly especially the remakes/remasters are still being developed and published by the companies.

I think about any 3D vertical Shmup from the DC era still looks great TBH. Zero Gunner 2. Giga Wing 2. Psyvariar 2. REZ and esp Ikaruga. In fact, the Shmup sections and ship designs in Nier Automata were inspired by Ikaruga.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Donkey Kong Country and Star Fox. Back then both games were the bridge to 3d graphics and seemed amazing for their time.

Games like Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island have held up a lot better despite not being the technical powerhouses that DKC and SF were seen as at the time.

Around the Network

The majority of PS360 titles.

PotentHerbs said:

The majority of PS360 titles.

Which ones were graphically impressive for their time though?

That generation had a problem with color, brown was realism, color was for kiddies. But a lot wasn't graphically impressive, just crunching higher resolutions. Alan Wake was graphically impressive as well as KZ2. I wouldn't call the ugly now. Motorstorm, also impressive at the time and still good. The first dead rising was impressive, still good. Test Drive unlimited though, looking very rough today.

I still think the PS3/360 titles that had an appealing visual identity and were technically sound still look good today.

Stuff like Bioshock 1/2/Infinite, Uncharted 2/3, Halo 4/Reach, Dead Space, the Gears of War games, RE5, Puppeteer, etc.

S.Peelman said:

I actually hardly ever think something that looked good back then looks ugly now. When I play something older, I just get in that state of mind where you just judge things relative to what they can be. The things I find ugly now are also the things I found ugly back then and those are usually terrible and terrible looking games to begin with. I’m talking Superman 64 or Bubsy 3D. Good stuff like the 64 Zeldas, Banjo or Crash still look good to me. Nevermind the better stuff from the 4th and 6th gen.

Superman 64.  it's only fault was ambition and that lead to us seeing the finest most impenetrable fog ever made, but this also shows ambitions darkside of not knowing when to stop and the end result lead to it hiding the entire game. So this should be a cautionary tale of how  ambition is evil,we got lucky and dodged a bullet that time only because they didn't call it Batman 64 so it flopped and we didn't have disasters like Sir David Attenborough having to change Planet Earth to Planet Fog. 

There were unexpected future consequences however, like the Silent Hill fog being held up to the same lofty standards set by Superman 64 that in turn lead a frustrated Konami to develop a gambling problem.

later actions show clear evidence that further frustration also saw Konami take to drink and drugs, whose use not only lead them to start believing it was a curse but the descent went further resulting in them holding an exorcism by setting fire to digital copies of PE and driving Kojima from their midst.

Now comes the summary, we should all take heed of the fact that our Road Safety Boards were right to warn us that fog is dangerous but they let us down by not also warning of ambition.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Which version?