By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games that were graphically impressive for their time, but are ugly now.

My issue with commenting on this thread is that I feel as if everytime my initial impression of a game is that it's ugly, even if I play the game for a few hours and still feel that way, by the time the game is over I'm usually used to the graphics and don't mind them or have even found some positive qualities in them.

Like I thought Mario 64 was pretty ugly when I first started, but the charm was a little evident and becomes moreso the more you play.

I think one game where I don't think the game is putrid looking, but is kind of visually ugly, is Silent Hill 2. It's not enough to be terribad, and it does sell the dreaminess of Silent Hill at times. But, honestly, I actually think it's an example of how better graphics can sell a concept worse than the original game. Silent Hill 2's more detailed visual makeup does do a better job of selling a story than Silent Hill 1, but given that this is a Silent Hill game, it's a bit disappointing how the environments are actually less interesting, scary, and dreadful than the originals. 

The originals take on PS1 graphics was that you could essentially make horror games more interesting by embracing the warping of PS1 textures and filling in spaces in the hardware with figurative "blanks" like dream-like fog. I think that the focus on putting more detail into the environment took away a lot of the abstraction and just made Silent Hill 2 look a bit too brown and dull at times, especially in the beginning of the game. I know the game is supposed to conjure up images of morning dew in a rainy early morning storm, and it kind of does a good job of that, but not nearly with the simplistic perfection of Silent Hill 1 - which has much more interesting graphics. In addition, ALL OF THE CHARACTERS have ugly fashion sense, like insanely ugly, and I don't even think it's intentional at times. 

It's actually kind of sad given how much work was put into SH2 being one of the first technical showcases for the PS2.

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:

Most of te Gen 5 is a poorly aged mess if you're not a pixelated 2D JRPG

Also, early 7th gen nowadays should be considered as a crime against humanity ! All those brownish/yellowish washed out polygons ....

They were a crime against humanity when they came out too!

Mar1217 said:

Most of te Gen 5 is a poorly aged mess if you're not a pixelated 2D JRPG

Also, early 7th gen nowadays should be considered as a crime against humanity ! All those brownish/yellowish washed out polygons ....

Oh yea, Fallout 3 is fucking ugly as shit! 

Star Fox

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)
Cerebralbore101 said:

Forgot about Virtua Racing on the Genesis. 

I had the 32X version which looks a lot better not as good as the arcade or Saturn version but pretty close.  The 32X, Saturn and arcade versions actually aged pretty good.  Those versions also aged better then the first Virtua Fighter game which came out a year later in 1993.

Around the Network

Unreal…

…who am I kidding utan still looks great today, it would only benefit from a bit more polygons.

Unreal and first Unreal Tournament where peak Epic Mega Games

Cerebralbore101 said:
Darwinianevolution said:

That Trevellyan comes straight from the uncanny valley. The realistic face plastered on the low polygon body...

Lol, I chose that screenshot just for that ridiculous Uncanny Valley look! :D

A lot of them looked like the figure was cut out of a magazine with large scissors incapable of cutting a fine outline leaving it as a series of straight edges .

then you have the flat 2d wrapping effect when modeled

Last edited by mjk45 - on 10 May 2021

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

I feel like you can list most non cel-shaded/artistic style graphics games. Thos typically dont age well.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Mar1217 said:

Some early 7th gen games still look nice in my opinion; Bioshock 1, COD4, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3...