By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games that were graphically impressive for their time, but are ugly now.

What games impressed you with their graphics on release, but you think look terrible in hindsight? 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 09 May 2021

Around the Network

Mortal Kombat- The mocap stuff was nifty at the time, but sprites aged much better.
FF7- The out of battle character models are kind of ugly. Sort of ugly in a charming bulldog kind of way, but ugly nevertheless.
Skyward Sword- Not quite ugly but I originally played this on a 480p TV and it looked good. When you try it on a larger higher resolution TV the flaws become much more noticeable.

Super Mario 64

Outcast

Pretty much everything on PS1/N64/Saturn. Although they can be improved with uprising the graphics and tweaking them a bit like all the games on Rare Replay and recent games like Doom 64 and Turok. Final Fantasy 7 and Chrono Cross come to mind for my answer.

Around the Network
rapsuperstar31 said:

Pretty much everything on PS1/N64/Saturn. Although they can be improved with uprising the graphics and tweaking them a bit like all the games on Rare Replay and recent games like Doom 64 and Turok. Final Fantasy 7 and Chrono Cross come to mind for my answer.

Yeah, other than a few 2D games, and games that made heavy use of alphamaps (like FF Tactics) that generation hasn't really aged well. :P

pong

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Forgot about Virtua Racing on the Genesis. 

Cerebralbore101 said:

That Trevellyan comes straight from the uncanny valley. The realistic face plastered on the low polygon body...

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

That Trevellyan comes straight from the uncanny valley. The realistic face plastered on the low polygon body...

Lol, I chose that screenshot just for that ridiculous Uncanny Valley look! :D