By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MS vs Sony's lowest selling; Original Xbox vs PS Vita

Which is better?

PS Vita 19 22.89%

Original Xbox 64 77.11%

Total:83

I've owned every sony console except the vita(and ps5 too lol), still I'd pick xbox. I feel like I'd have more fun with it

Around the Network

Vita, simply coming off the fact that I skipped OG Xbox entirely.
Vita, btw is a perfect example of wasted potential due to poor product mismanagement. Hardware-wise, still probably the best handheld system to date. On games front though, hard to think of any big hitters outside of Persona 4 Golden. But for anyone who is into Japanese games, Vita definitely worth checking out.

HoangNhatAnh said:
mjk45 said:

Persona 4 Golden was in my opinion it's crown jewel but it had plenty of good games the trouble was Sony's treatment of it as a portable cutdown PS4 instead of a combination of a Japanese focused transforming robot with the destructive power of Godzilla type gaming platform crossed with a mix of western genres and titles made fit for purpose rather than shoehorned in encouraged by actual  sony support and talking Sony support how about if they had actually spent at least $10 on in store promotion and acquiring decent shelf space so I could find those games physically, instead of being kept in the same shoebox that gamestop keeps their broken discs in .  someone else can talk about memory cards i don't need the angst.

None of them are system seller though, even some Sony big games couldn't do anything for vita.

If you reread my post you will notice i never called them system sellers and anyway I feel a range of factors tend to push hardware sales like library- social interaction platform support etc is what pushes sales and the push  rates vary.

The industry as never been homogeneous when it comes to home v portable you need to look at the patterns Even using handheld leader Nintendo and looking    at their portable hardware sales aligned against home consoles with similar hardware numbers the software ratio is around 50% lower or less so we see a  different buying pattern ( if you want more info about the reasons behind those figures I recommend asking Rol ) and that same pattern translates across to the Sony side with the 80 million+ PSP success that success can not be traced to having lots of big system sellers but catering to your audience it's biggest games only sold selling around 5- 7 million, anyway most of my reply centred on more systemic reason than lack of system sellers so I will finish by saying even Nintendo to succeed in the days of mobile needed to pivot.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 05 May 2021

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

derpysquirtle64 said:

Vita, simply coming off the fact that I skipped OG Xbox entirely.
Vita, btw is a perfect example of wasted potential due to poor product mismanagement. Hardware-wise, still probably the best handheld system to date. On games front though, hard to think of any big hitters outside of Persona 4 Golden. But for anyone who is into Japanese games, Vita definitely worth checking out.

I guess it would depend on what definition you're using, but are Killzone Mercenery and Uncharted Golden Abyss not big hitters?

ArchangelMadzz said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

What kind of support that you want to ask? 1st party, 3rd party or indies?

It had plenty of indies, mainly first and third party support.

Wait, you think Sony supported the vita platform well?

Gravity Rush, Soul Sacrifice, Uncharted, Killzone, Tearaway, Little Big Planet and other ports didn't sell much. In fact, no vita game could sell close to 2,5mil except Minecraft, so why bother?

mjk45 said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

None of them are system seller though, even some Sony big games couldn't do anything for vita.

If you reread my post you will notice i never called them system sellers and anyway I feel a range of factors tend to push hardware sales like library- social interaction platform support etc is what pushes sales and the push  rates vary.

The industry as never been homogeneous when it comes to home v portable you need to look at the patterns Even using handheld leader Nintendo and looking     at their portable hardware sales aligned against home consoles with similar hardware numbers the software ratio is around 50% lower or less so we see a   different buying pattern ( if you what more info about the reasons behind those figures I recommend asking Rol ) and that same pattern translates across to   the Sony side with the 80 million+ PSP success can not be traced to system sellers but catering to your audience it's biggest games selling around 5- 7 million , anyway most of my reply centred on more systemic reason than lack of system sellers so I will finish by saying even Nintendo to succeed in the days of mobile needed to pivot.

Basically, Sony 1st party games alone can't do anything without the help of 3rd parties games for their platform.

Around the Network
HoangNhatAnh said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Gravity Rush, Soul Sacrifice, Uncharted, Killzone, Tearaway, Little Big Planet and other ports didn't sell much. In fact, no vita game could sell close to 2,5mil except Minecraft, so why bother?

mjk45 said:

The industry as never been homogeneous when it comes to home v portable you need to look at the patterns Even using handheld leader Nintendo and looking at their portable hardware sales aligned against home consoles with similar hardware numbers the software ratio is around 50% lower or less so we see a different buying pattern (if you want more info about the reasons behind those figures I recommend asking Rol ) and that same pattern translates across to the Sony side with the 80 million+ PSP sale 

success.can not be traced to system sellers alone PSP's biggest games sold around 5- 7 million, anyway most of my reply centred on more systemic reasons than lack of system sellers so I will finish by saying even Nintendo to succeed in the days of mobile needed to pivot.

Basically, Sony 1st party games alone can't do anything without the help of 3rd parties games for their platform.

No more circumstances like the rise of mobile that was a large push toward where we are today with the hybrid Switch. You know the history. So if Nintendo with it's handheld dominance was affected and just like the 3DS won't come close to the DS the Vita had no chance of matching the PSP but what it did have was the chance to sell much more than 16 odd million by changes like no expensive proprietary memory cards, more Japanese focus at the beginning so rather than an early focus on turning it into a PS4 portable, while not disregarding those games entirely, moving some of that expenditure to gaining support with games like Monster Hunter and other successful PSP franchises that while not offering a complete panacea would have helped not only strengthen it in Japan we know this by looking at how Vita japanese sales picked up when Japanese game content finally increased it would have had a positive further afield by helping to further engagement from a lot of Western gamers who whether through their history of owning a PSP or buying a Vita do so with a view to Japanese gaming but the rot had set in by then, sure even if it fixed it's mistakes you were never getting 80m in today's world but half that was on the cards.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 05 May 2021

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

mjk45 said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

mjk45 said:

The industry as never been homogeneous when it comes to home v portable you need to look at the patterns Even using handheld leader Nintendo and looking at their portable hardware sales aligned against home consoles with similar hardware numbers the software ratio is around 50% lower or less so we see a different buying pattern (if you want more info about the reasons behind those figures I recommend asking Rol ) and that same pattern translates across to the Sony side with the 80 million+ PSP sale 

success.can not be traced to system sellers alone PSP's biggest games sold around 5- 7 million, anyway most of my reply centred on more systemic reasons than lack of system sellers so I will finish by saying even Nintendo to succeed in the days of mobile needed to pivot.

No more circumstances like the rise of mobile that was a large push toward where we are today with the hybrid Switch. You know the history. So if Nintendo with it's handheld dominance was affected and just like the 3DS won't come close to the DS the Vita had no chance of matching the PSP but what it did have was the chance to sell much more than 16 odd million by changes like no expensive proprietary memory cards, more Japanese focus at the beginning so rather than an early focus on turning it into a PS4 portable, while not disregarding those games entirely, moving some of that expenditure to gaining support with games like Monster Hunter and other successful PSP franchises that while not offering a complete panacea would have helped not only strengthen it in Japan we know this by looking at how Vita japanese sales picked up when Japanese game content finally increased it would have had a positive further afield by helping to further engagement from a lot of Western gamers who whether through their history of owning a PSP or buying a Vita do so with a view to Japanese gaming but the rot had set in by then, sure even if it fixed it's mistakes you were never getting 80m in today's world but half that was on the cards.

Bold: sure, but 3ds still made big profit for Nintendo just based on software sales alone, you can't apply that to vita. Vita japanese sales picked up? The best selling of a JP game on vita is Persona 4 Golden (1,5mil), other JP games are way worse, JP sales pick up here mean hardware only, not software, right?

Bold 2: if no expensive proprietary memory cards, vita itself would cost $300 instead.

HoangNhatAnh said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

All the games you mentioned came out in the first 2 years of it's life. How much was there after?

Also you're completely ignoring 66% of my original point.
"bad business practices and bad price"

All 3 are reasons the vita failed, and it's completely different reason for Xbox which is why this thread is comparing apples to oranges. Where the Original Xbox arguably didn't even fail.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

ArchangelMadzz said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

All the games you mentioned came out in the first 2 years of it's life. How much was there after?

All 3 are reasons the vita failed, and it's completely different reason for Xbox which is why this thread is comparing apples to oranges. Where the Original Xbox arguably didn't even fail. 

I just answered your question, that's all. Yes, Sony supported the vita well in the first 2 years, but all they got in the end are terrible sale numbers for both hardware and software, so they chose to stop.

HoangNhatAnh said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

I just answered your question, that's all. Yes, Sony supported the vita well in the first 2 years, but all they got in the end are terrible sale numbers for both hardware and software, so they chose to stop.

They got horrible sales due to 66% of the problem.

They then stopped whatever they were doing correctly and created a whole new reason to not buy their hardware. So yes, saying bad support is accurate.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'