By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MS vs Sony's lowest selling; Original Xbox vs PS Vita

Which is better?

PS Vita 19 22.89%

Original Xbox 64 77.11%

Total:83
HoangNhatAnh said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Did...did you just say to blame customers for not buying a product they didn't see as worth their money..

Jack Ryan is that you? ahaha

Sony already brought several big 1st party games to vita, none of them sold well, that is Sony fan's fault. This never happened to Nintendo fans when they made big 1st party games for 3ds at least in the early and middle 3ds life.

Otter said:

I personally would blame sony because they thought Uncharted and Killzone were going to be what sold a handheld. We needed RPGs, platformers and arcade action games etc. 

Imagine if the PSVita launched in year 1 with Jak and Daxter 4 instead of Uncharted, Final Fantasy Type 0, GOW Ascension, Ratchet and Clank into the Nexus, Pupeteer, Morrowind port etc. Sure not all of these are sony properties but its more the fact that they didn't establish the right deals and prioritise the right franchises to get the platform going.  A lot of late PS3 games could have been prioritized for Vita as they weren't major entries in the respective franchises (like GOW Ascension) and this reflected in how they sold. In the end though I'm glad with how things turned out, Sony are fully focused on home consoles and giving us experiences only their first party teams could and Nintendo is doing everything the Vita should have done. So its a win win! 

RPG is always the biggest genre on vita.

Tearaway and Little Big Planet didn't sell any good on vita.

Gravity Rush completely flopped, new IPs like Soul Sacrifice or Freedom Wars got ignored too.

If these games were on 3ds, they might sell at least decently, not a completely bomb like the vita. 

Bold: it depends on what engine that game used, vita is nowhere near ps3 power after all.

*ahem* Little Big Planet is the second best selling Vita game!

Around the Network
ArchangelMadzz said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Sony already brought several big 1st party games to vita, none of them sold well, that is Sony fan's fault. This never happened to Nintendo fans when they made big 1st party games for 3ds at least in the early and middle 3ds life.

I'm speechless.

Me too. Either Sony games < Nintendo games or Sony fans don't care about good games on portable unlike Nintendo fans.

Otter said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Otter said:

I personally would blame sony because they thought Uncharted and Killzone were going to be what sold a handheld. We needed RPGs, platformers and arcade action games etc. 

Imagine if the PSVita launched in year 1 with Jak and Daxter 4 instead of Uncharted, Final Fantasy Type 0, GOW Ascension, Ratchet and Clank into the Nexus, Pupeteer, Morrowind port etc. Sure not all of these are sony properties but its more the fact that they didn't establish the right deals and prioritise the right franchises to get the platform going.  A lot of late PS3 games could have been prioritized for Vita as they weren't major entries in the respective franchises (like GOW Ascension) and this reflected in how they sold. In the end though I'm glad with how things turned out, Sony are fully focused on home consoles and giving us experiences only their first party teams could and Nintendo is doing everything the Vita should have done. So its a win win! 

RPG is always the biggest genre on vita.

Tearaway and Little Big Planet didn't sell any good on vita.

Gravity Rush completely flopped, new IPs like Soul Sacrifice or Freedom Wars got ignored too.

If these games were on 3ds, they might sell at least decently, not a completely bomb like the vita. 

Bold: it depends on what engine that game used, vita is nowhere near ps3 power after all.

*ahem* There is no vita game can pass 2,5mil so the second best selling Vita game doesn't mean anything.

HoangNhatAnh said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

I'm speechless.

Me too. Either Sony games < Nintendo games or Sony fans don't care about good games on portable unlike Nintendo fans.

Otter said:

*ahem* There is no vita game can pass 2,5mil so the second best selling Vita game doesn't mean anything.

*ahem* Except you just praised the sales of RPGs on the system whilst dismissing LBP as selling poor but LBP outsold all the RPGS

Of course, when your system is a flop, all games are destined to perform badly. Nintendo may be able to sell some games to 40% of their userbase but this not a common feat. LBP  seemed to hit its mark imo and was owned by over 10% of Vita owners, but of course it alone cannot sell a system. I agree though that RPGS were most important thing that Vita was missing but I think LBP was one of the smarter software decisions sony made, it was just alone in a sea of otherwise underwhelming/misplaced titles (not including the indies).

*looking at the bolded point*

I think sonys portable games often just felt like downgrades of their console experiences. For example, Uncharted's gameplay isn't especially unique or compelling, its a combination of the writing and spectacle combined with solid gameplay which drives its success. Of course a low budget spin off on a mobile platforms isn't going to have the cinematic story telling and adventure that makes Uncharted what it is. On the there hand, Nintendo's handheld games were always different versions. For example, top down Zelda is not just a lazy version of 3D Zelda, it has its own appeal and benefits from nostalgia. Same with 2D Mario, also Pokemon was exclusive to handheld etc.

Sony doesn't have the DNA for a great handheld software lineup, the PSP mostly relied on 3rd parties for its biggest hits (GTA/MonsterHunter/FinalFantasy). If sony was still doing portables it'd be a great opportunity for them to do a classic style God of War whilst continuing the more cinematic over the shoulder version on home console. Or continuing jack and daxter on portable whilst doing Uncharted on home consoles. Thats the kind of smart decisions Nintendo makes. 

Otter said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Otter said:

*ahem* Except you just praised the sales of RPGs on the system whilst dismissing LBP as selling poor but LBP outsold all the RPGS

Of course, when your system is a flop, all games are destined to perform badly. Nintendo may be able to sell some games to 40% of their userbase but this not a common feat. LBP  seemed to hit its mark imo and was owned by over 10% of Vita owners, but of course it alone cannot sell a system. I agree though that RPGS were most important thing that Vita was missing but I think LBP was one of the smarter software decisions sony made, it was just alone in a sea of otherwise underwhelming/misplaced titles (not including the indies).

*looking at the bolded point*

I think sonys portable games often just felt like downgrades of their console experiences. For example, Uncharted's gameplay isn't especially unique or compelling, its a combination of the writing and spectacle combined with solid gameplay which drives its success. Of course a low budget spin off on a mobile platforms isn't going to have the cinematic story telling and adventure that makes Uncharted what it is. On the there hand, Nintendo's handheld games were always different versions. For example, top down Zelda is not just a lazy version of 3D Zelda, it has its own appeal and benefits from nostalgia. Same with 2D Mario, also Pokemon was exclusive to handheld etc.

Sony doesn't have the DNA for a great handheld software lineup, the PSP mostly relied on 3rd parties for its biggest hits (GTA/MonsterHunter/FinalFantasy). If sony was still doing portables it'd be a great opportunity for them to do a classic style God of War whilst continuing the more cinematic over the shoulder version on home console. Or continuing jack and daxter on portable whilst doing Uncharted on home consoles. Thats the kind of smart decisions Nintendo makes. 

Bold: I never did that, i only said RPG is strongest genre on vita since majority of vita games (except Sony ones, some 3rd party games and indies) are mostly rpgs.

Bold 2: Only ALBW, not many people care about TFH.

Bold 3: Consoles has 2D Mario too.

Bold 4: Many Nintendo games sold amazing, not just Pokemon.

Bold 5: Definitely, Sony portable games (even if they're amazing) still stand no chance against Nintendo ones.

Vita has a bunch of good games and excellent indie games. I have two vita when their videogame cycle is active. But sony abandoned the videogame, for good reason, anyway this a big grain of salt in your fans. And the last sony portable( Sony focus on PS4 is a good choice, but like everyone can't compete with Nintendo in portable space, I love portables and wanna good competition for Nintendo)

Xbox has some great games and is the first Microsoft dedicated console. The Xbox experiment flourishes in Xbox 360, the better console of Microsoft. 

I voted in Xbox. 

Around the Network

At the time I put down Vita's failure to "people clearly don't want home console style games on a handheld" but I think the Switch's success contradicts that, unless it's just that the Switch did it better.

Comparing dedicated handhelds to dedicated home consoles has always been too far of a stretch for me to compare. As a matter of fact, I don't even think we use to do it back in the day. It was always separate from one another.

But my take on Xbox is that it was (for better or worse) revolutionary for its time. Standard broadband, standard HDD, Xbox Live. It also introduced competitive online shooters to console gamers who, at the time, hadn't really known what all that was about.

The Vita on the other hand... it just never took off. Poor execution on the part of Sony doomed it from the word go.

Last edited by JackHandy - on 16 May 2021

curl-6 said:

At the time I put down Vita's failure to "people clearly don't want home console style games on a handheld" but I think the Switch's success contradicts that, unless it's just that the Switch did it better.

Actually, that line is correct, but it applies for Sony fans only, not Nintendo fans.