By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 17, 2021 - (Apr 19 - Apr 25)

Famitsu Switch 3rd Parties 2020 Top 20:

1. Momotaro Dentetsu (Konami) - 1.233.023
  2. Minecraft (Microsoft) - 556.982
  3. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (Koei Tecmo) - 304.963
  4. eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2020 (Konami) - 269.648
  5. Fishing Spirits (Bandai Namco) - 207.472
  6. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games: Tokyo 2020 (Sega) - 167.411
  7. One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4 (Bandai Namco) - 137.513
  8. Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun! (Bandai Namco) - 133.978
  9. Trials of Mana (Square Enix) - 112.277
  10. Derby Stallion (Game Addict) - 108.570
  11. Hatsune Miku: Project Diva MegaMix (Sega) - 97.056
  12. Dragon Quest XI S (Square Enix) - 95.802
  13. Human: Fall Flat (Teyon Japan) - 87.440
  14. Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (Marvelous) - 84.814
  15. Persona 5 Strikers (Atlus) - 79.250
  16. Minecraft Dungeons: Hero Edition (Microsoft ) - 76.784
  17. Fitness Boxing (Imagineer) - 75.696
  18. Shin Megami Tensei III (Atlus) - 68.280
  19. Super Bomberman R (Konami) - 65.234
  20. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (Square Enix) - 64.687

TOTAL:4.026.880

Famitsu Switch 3rd Parties 2021 Top 20:
  1. Monster Hunter Rise (Capcom) - 1.970.371
  2. Momotaro Dentetsu (Konami) - 892.038
  3. Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town (Marvelous) – 274.926
  4. Minecraft (Microsoft) - 207.660
  5. Bravely Default II (Square Enix) – 136.091
  6. Little Nightmares II (Bandai Namco) - 66.414
  7. Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (Marvelous) - 65.620
  8. Fitness Boxing 2 (Imagineer) - 58.739
  9. Dragon Quest XI S (Square Enix) - 56.153
  10. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (Koei Tecmo) - 53.364
  11. Human Fall Flat (Teyon Japan) - 53.252
  12. Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 (Sega) - 36.105
  13. Family Trainer (Bandai Namco) - 35.273
  14. Fishing Spirits (Bandai Namco) - 35.247
  15. Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun! (Bandai Namco) - 30.652
  16. Densha de Go!! (Square Enix) - 29.624
  17. eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2020 (Konami) - 27.539
  18. Disgaea 6 (Nippon Ichi) - 25.744
  19. Apex Legends (Electronic Arts) - 22.921
  20. The Quintessential Quintuplets (Mages.) - 20.374

TOTAL: 4.098.107

This year's Top 20 Third Party games have already surpassed 2020's Top 20. With Rise and Momotaro making up nearly 3/4 of the 4 million, just goes to show that it is not that complicated to find big hits on the system. By the end of the year I expect that 2021 for Third Parties will surpass the combined Top 20 from 2017 to 2020.

Around the Network
noshten said:

Famitsu Switch 3rd Parties 2020 Top 20:

1. Momotaro Dentetsu (Konami) - 1.233.023
  2. Minecraft (Microsoft) - 556.982
  3. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (Koei Tecmo) - 304.963
  4. eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2020 (Konami) - 269.648
  5. Fishing Spirits (Bandai Namco) - 207.472
  6. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games: Tokyo 2020 (Sega) - 167.411
  7. One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4 (Bandai Namco) - 137.513
  8. Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun! (Bandai Namco) - 133.978
  9. Trials of Mana (Square Enix) - 112.277
  10. Derby Stallion (Game Addict) - 108.570
  11. Hatsune Miku: Project Diva MegaMix (Sega) - 97.056
  12. Dragon Quest XI S (Square Enix) - 95.802
  13. Human: Fall Flat (Teyon Japan) - 87.440
  14. Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (Marvelous) - 84.814
  15. Persona 5 Strikers (Atlus) - 79.250
  16. Minecraft Dungeons: Hero Edition (Microsoft ) - 76.784
  17. Fitness Boxing (Imagineer) - 75.696
  18. Shin Megami Tensei III (Atlus) - 68.280
  19. Super Bomberman R (Konami) - 65.234
  20. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (Square Enix) - 64.687

TOTAL:4.026.880

Famitsu Switch 3rd Parties 2021 Top 20:
  1. Monster Hunter Rise (Capcom) - 1.970.371
  2. Momotaro Dentetsu (Konami) - 892.038
  3. Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town (Marvelous) – 274.926
  4. Minecraft (Microsoft) - 207.660
  5. Bravely Default II (Square Enix) – 136.091
  6. Little Nightmares II (Bandai Namco) - 66.414
  7. Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (Marvelous) - 65.620
  8. Fitness Boxing 2 (Imagineer) - 58.739
  9. Dragon Quest XI S (Square Enix) - 56.153
  10. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (Koei Tecmo) - 53.364
  11. Human Fall Flat (Teyon Japan) - 53.252
  12. Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 (Sega) - 36.105
  13. Family Trainer (Bandai Namco) - 35.273
  14. Fishing Spirits (Bandai Namco) - 35.247
  15. Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun! (Bandai Namco) - 30.652
  16. Densha de Go!! (Square Enix) - 29.624
  17. eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2020 (Konami) - 27.539
  18. Disgaea 6 (Nippon Ichi) - 25.744
  19. Apex Legends (Electronic Arts) - 22.921
  20. The Quintessential Quintuplets (Mages.) - 20.374

TOTAL: 4.098.107

This year's Top 20 Third Party games have already surpassed 2020's Top 20. With Rise and Momotaro making up nearly 3/4 of the 4 million, just goes to show that it is not that complicated to find big hits on the system. By the end of the year I expect that 2021 for Third Parties will surpass the combined Top 20 from 2017 to 2020.

Isn't this the opposite? MH is the biggest franchise in Japan and Momotaro is kind of a phenomenom. You would want a more regular spread of smashes to evidence this. 

Otter said:
noshten said:

Isn't this the opposite? MH is the biggest franchise in Japan and Momotaro is kind of a phenomenom. You would want a more regular spread of smashes to evidence this. 

Not really, from my point of view what you want demonstrate is that Third Parties can have huge hits on the system, in order to accelerate even more third party games targeting it. 

There is already a regular spread since November, in terms of games that should surpass 100K on the system, as Third Parties have finally arrived on the Switch this year compared to past years. You can clearly see this when we look at the release schedule since the start of 2020 in terms of third party titles that managed to surpass 100K or will do so in the coming weeks/months(Fitness Boxing 2/Little Nightmares 2)

• Q1 2020: One Piece Pirate Warriors 4
  • Q2 2020: Trails of Mana
  • Q3 2020: eBaseball/Human Fall Flat
  • Q4 2020: Momotaro/Sakuna/Age of Calamity/Fitness Boxing 2/Derby Stallion
  • Q1 2021: Little Nightmares 2/Olive Town/Bravely Default 2/Monster Hunter Rise
  • Q2 2021: Rune Factory 5/Samurai Warriors 5
  • Q3 2021: Pro eBaseball Spirits 2021/Monster Hunter Stories 2/Shin-Chan: My Summer Vacation/Yu-Gi-Oh Rush Duel/Shin Megami Tensei V/Ace Attorney Chronicles 

Big success stories like Momotaro/Monster Hunter Rise allows publishers and studios to feel more confident in investing more time and effort in future Switch games. As we saw how Marvelous despite achieving their best result ever with Olive Town actually missed an opportunity because of the lack of time and effort they gave the title. Had they spent more time and efforts the game could have very well been their first million seller in the country. 

It will also accelerate future problems in other third party publishers like Sega, Bandai and Falcom who chose to spend the past few years not building an audience for their games on the Switch - allowing smaller publishers to eat into their overall market-share in the country. 

noshten said:
Otter said:

Not really, from my point of view what you want demonstrate is that Third Parties can have huge hits on the system, in order to accelerate even more third party games targeting it. 

There is already a regular spread since November, in terms of games that should surpass 100K on the system, as Third Parties have finally arrived on the Switch this year compared to past years. You can clearly see this when we look at the release schedule since the start of 2020 in terms of third party titles that managed to surpass 100K or will do so in the coming weeks/months(Fitness Boxing 2/Little Nightmares 2)

• Q3 2021: Pro eBaseball Spirits 2021/Monster Hunter Stories 2/Shin-Chan: My Summer Vacation/Yu-Gi-Oh Rush Duel/Shin Megami Tensei V/Ace Attorney Chronicles 

Big success stories like Momotaro/Monster Hunter Rise allows publishers and studios to feel more confident in investing more time and effort in future Switch games. As we saw how Marvelous despite achieving their best result ever with Olive Town actually missed an opportunity because of the lack of time and effort they gave the title. Had they spent more time and efforts the game could have very well been their first million seller in the country. 

It will also accelerate future problems in other third party publishers like Sega, Bandai and Falcom who chose to spend the past few years not building an audience for their games on the Switch - allowing smaller publishers to eat into their overall market-share in the country. 

Yeah the 100k+ mark is frequently achieved and what i would consider uncomplicated, but I think the 2 big games you referenced are in-fact "complicated" since they have very particular circumstances which led to their level of success as opposed to just a combination of effort & critical reception. 

I dare say Olive Town is actually a better example 

noshten said:
Otter said:

You forgot No More Heroes III.

Around the Network
Otter said:
Agente42 said:

It's showing the decrease of software dominate of sony in the Japanese game space. 

No ones denying that, especially without the presence of a handheld like PSP/Vita. I was just making a separate point altogether

So, the transition, without a good ecosystem backup tends to poorly results. It's interconnected, portable, and stationary. 

Compare PS3 software output in 2013  and Ps4 output in 2021. 

PS3 has two good backup ecosystems with good support:  PSP and PS2. Besides the inicial errors, the final supports is very good.

Ps4 have one ok  backup ecosystem and one regular: PS3 and vita

Ps5 has the worst backup history because has no portable and PS4, even if has all third-party support, PS4 doesn't match Ps3 hardware sales.

Now Ps4 have poorly software sales comparative with PS3, in the same time frame when Ps4 launched 

Last edited by Agente42 - on 02 May 2021

Otter said:

Yeah the 100k+ mark is frequently achieved and what i would consider uncomplicated, but I think the 2 big games you referenced are in-fact "complicated" since they have very particular circumstances which led to their level of success as opposed to just a combination of effort & critical reception. 

What's "complicated" about MH Rise and Momotaro?

The former is an entry in a franchise that's more popular any oxygen in Japan, so it sells like crack. Seems pretty simple to me.

Momotaro is a series that's traditionally popular on home systems and as this is the first one in a while that can be played on TV, it sells like crack.

Neither seems like an alignment of the stars or lightning in a bottle to me, just historically popular franchises selling well on Switch.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 04 May 2021

curl-6 said:
Otter said:

What "complicated" about MH Rise and Momotaro?

The former is an entry in a franchise that's more popular any oxygen in Japan, so it sells like crack. Seems pretty simple to me.

Momotaro is a series that's traditionally popular on home systems and as this is the first one in a while that can be played on TV, it sells like crack.

Neither seems like an alignment of the stars or lightning in a bottle to me, just historically popular franchises selling well on Switch.

No Momotaro game ever sold over a million copies before and now the newest entry is outselling the previously best-selling entry by over 3 to 1 and is Konami's best-selling game ever in Japan.

Since it looks like the next Yu-Gi-Oh game is also going to be massively popular I guess it's just the Switch, but if that game sell 2mil copies it would just mean it's back to it's previous highpoint, but in Momtaro's case that's a massive overperformance.

Kakadu18 said:
curl-6 said:

What "complicated" about MH Rise and Momotaro?

No Momotaro game ever sold over a million copies before and now the newest entry is outselling the previously best-selling entry by over 3 to 1 and is Konami's best-selling game ever in Japan.

Since it looks like the next Yu-Gi-Oh game is also going to be massively popular I guess it's just the Switch, but if that game sell 2mil copies it would just mean it's back to it's previous highpoint, but in Momtaro's case that's a massive overperformance.

It's impressive, but I don't think it's really that complicated.

These days the best selling games just generally sell more than they have in the past; the last few years saw both Nintendo and Sony repeatedly breaking series records with their software and Capcom for example having both the best selling RE game and their best selling game ever in MH World. Momotaro seems to benefit from this trend plus the huge success of the Switch.

curl-6 said:
Kakadu18 said:

It's impressive, but I don't think it's really that complicated.

These days the best selling games just generally sell more than they have in the past; the last few years saw both Nintendo and Sony repeatedly breaking series records with their software and Capcom for example having both the best selling RE game and their best selling game ever in MH World. Momotaro seems to benefit from this trend plus the huge success of the Switch.

Complicated in that other devs can't just easily replicate MH success, it's in a world of its own. In that sense it is lighting in a bottle. Equally momotaro performed in a way that no one could have anticipated and has not been replicated by other games. So I would not use these as examples of how simple and uncomplicated is for 3rd parties to find huge hits