By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - March NPD 2021: Switch > 938k, PS5 > 473k , XBS > 234k

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Ryng!
Give us the xbox leak number soon !

no numbers yet :(

Around the Network

Extrapolated ranges from ResetEra prediction results (Donny who runs the thread has actuals but cannot disclose them).

937k < Switch < 985k

473k < PS5

234k < XBS < 330k

VGChartz estimates pre-adjustment:

NSW - 879,121

PS5 - 396,095

XBS - 252,046

Hopefully we get concrete leaks one day, but the above is the best we have so far.  Crazy month for PS5 and NSW.

Last edited by mk7sx - on 28 April 2021

RolStoppable said:
mk7sx said:

Extrapolated ranges from ResetEra prediction results (Donny who runs the thread has actuals but cannot disclose them).

937k < Switch < 985k

473k < PS5

234k < XBS < 330k

(...)

With Switch down only 50-100k units year over year, it looks quite safe to expect the year 2021 to be even bigger than 2020. The USA is behaving similar to Japan.

Yes, expecting sales in the 10-12M range (after 9M in 2020).  High-end achievable if they supply a healthy amount of this upcoming revision (which I believe is an Ampere based device).  YoY the Switch is already up ~350K and after it loses the April battle to 2020, it will have favorable comparisons starting mid-May through August.  I expect May to be +0-10%, Jun/Jul to both be up >50%, and August to be +0-10% again.

If the Pro ends up being in short supply during the holidays, then next year holds up as another 9-11M year.  If its ample, next year drops to 7-9M.  

Crazy how despite vgchartz estimating crazy sales numbers for the Switch every time, the Switch seems to always exceed their estimates expectations every time! Shows how crazy dominant the Switch is right now and will be for years to come.

However, the Switch may possibly deal with some shortages later in 2021 as a result of the semiconductor shortages thats been plaguing the tech industry since the pandemic started. Nintendo's president Shuntaro Furukawa recently stated that Nintendo is able to fulfill Switch demand for now but said that the Switch may deal with some shortages later in 2021 due to the ongoing semiconductor shortage. So that might prevent 2021 from overtopping 2020 if Nintendo can't meet demand due to shortages. We have to keep this possibility in mid when making our 2021 sales prediction. Because of that, I expect the Switch to pretty much remain flat YoY in 2021 and sell around 27-28M, but think switch could sell around 30M if Nintendo's able to meet demand. Really Nintendo's 2021 sales numbers will all depend on supply, not demand.

Shadow1980 said:

Everything saw big jumps from February. Even in terms of weekly averages (March being a 5-week month), all three systems looked to have grown somewhere in the 20-30% range month-over-month. That $1400 stimulus definitely did its work. March is rarely up from February in terms of weekly averages, and almost never anything this large. The only exceptions were the PS2 in 2001 (restocks), the GBA in 2003 (the SP and Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire), the Wii in 2008 (Smash), and all systems last March (the initial effects of the COVID bump, plus AC for the Switch).

And MS needs to get more Series X stock out. Hopefully they're easier to come across by time Halo Infinite comes out. At this rate, my prediction of a closer PS vs. Xbox race this gen won't pan out, though it's still very early and things could change as stock issues eventually get resolved and both systems get more games (and maybe some price cuts) under their belts.

I may update my charts, but it never feels right doing so without concrete numbers.

I don’t the stimulus check was really the reaason sales went up as high as they did. (Though they helped a bit)

Like everyone knows about the fact that all 3 currently sell everything they ship (Nintendo more so the OG model as I never see it at retail), and like you said 5week that avg jumped up from feb 4week by roughly 25-30%. Mar10 sales/MH Rise limited edition and release and of course the end of FY that probably made Nintendo ship out lot for March which demand still hasn’t been settled

Also I’m on the “stop using past trends” ship as NSW is literally doing its own thing which has never been seen before and add to the fact that this is Nintendo first system that is solely focused on instead of splitting resources like in the pasr

Around the Network

sorry for being extremely late had a lot of work to do, gonna be free for the next months!
Thread update incoming

If someone can help me out here, - I know the PlayStation sells more than MS at times when there are no shortages, but with all the consoles currently selling out, why isn't MS able to manufacture as many consoles as Sony can? Any answers to this question would be greatly appreciated.

Xbox 360 and Xbox One

Gamertag:  GamertagOz70

Ryng said:

Thread update incoming

Have there been any updates as of late? I would definitely like to update my charts with more concrete numbers

Also whats with the discrepancy between the NPD estimates and VgChartz numbers? VgChartz lists March sales at 784k, have they already been adjusted?

Ryng said:

sorry for being extremely late had a lot of work to do, gonna be free for the next months!
Thread update incoming

Did you get fired ?