By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Jason Schreier: Sony's Obsession with Blockbusters is Stirring Unrest Within PS Empire

shikamaru317 said:
DonFerrari said:

I guess Jason would invest his own money on losing money projects right?

Which Sony projects lost money exactly? Jason says that Days Gone turned a profit but Sony still decided not to greenlight a sequel due to the lowish reviews (71 meta). Gravity Rush 2 probably turned a profit considering it sold decently and would haven't cost much to develop most likely. 

The only 1st/2nd party PS4 exclusives I can think of that might have lost money would be:

• The Order: 1886 (AAA budget but not amazing sales)
  • The Last Guardian (extremely long development cycle which would have made the budget pretty high, coupled with lackluster sales)
  • Dreams (failed to make NPD top 20 on release month, though NPD didn't include sales of the early access version with the first month sales)
  • Some of the PSVR exclusives possibly, due to how niche VR is, coupled with possibly highish developmnent budgets on a few of them

Did you read OP? He is comparing to the PS3 years where Sony said from every 10 games they made 6 lost money, 2 broke even and only 2 had profit. And he really dislike Sony on PS4 that have been able to constantly sell over 10M on several IPs.

Sony as any company will focus on what bring most money, but we have to turn blind eye to it to make this type of critic.

Sony don`t reveal the number of the least successful titles. But Knack 2 likely didn`t turn a profit as well, and most of the exclusives that weren`t AAA also didn`t made money. Gravity Rush from what I remember was said to lose money. On Days Gone I sincerely don`t want a sequel even though I really liked it, for me that was a game that 1 entry really told the story (same for TLOU imho).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
RedKingXIII said:

Why would they remake The Last of Us??? Even the original PS3 version looks and plays fine. Seems like a waste of resources.

Sony wants money.

And why not?

From the same generation, Nintendo is bringing Skyward Sword. Both were pretty much the swansong of each console.

@OP I think Sony took a lot of risks during the PS3 era, and it turned into a financial disaster. HW was unprofitable, SW didn't sell high numbers. Sony doesn't want another disaster, they want a profitable ecosystem no matter what console they make like Nintendo. Sony also sees themselves as a more premium product as days go by. So blockbusters that continue to sell at $60-$70 and consoles that continue to sell at original MSRP is the goal.

SanAndreasX said:
RedKingXIII said:

Why would they remake The Last of Us??? Even the original PS3 version looks and plays fine. Seems like a waste of resources.

As long as it makes visible improvements, it will probably sell more than enough to pay for itself, and from Sony's point, hopefully take some of the heat off of Sony from the controversies surrounding TLOU2.

Farsala said:
RedKingXIII said:

Sony wants money.

And why not?

From the same generation, Nintendo is bringing Skyward Sword. Both were pretty much the swansong of each console.

Yeah... It's going to sell well and make a lot of money. I just wish they did remakes from games that really need it. I'm sure there's a lot of PS1/PS2 games that could really use a ground up remake while that's really not needed for The Last of Us. Like I said, it looks and plays fine. Even the original PS3 version. 

Last edited by RedKingXIII - on 10 April 2021

Astral said:

We already have / know of a few "AA" or small new ips on PS5 from Sony like: Astro's Playroom (a full game is hinted), Destruction AllStars, Returnal, Sackboy: A Big Adventure. That tells me a diffrent story. I guess we will see.

LudicrousSpeed said:

They got complacent with PS4 and we saw less of everything. Less new IP's, less first party games, less risks. Now it seems they're "cutting the fat" even more this generation.

Do we have numbers to compare?

Sony during PS3 era:
139 games
59 first party
63 new IP's

Sony during PS4 era:
63 games
34 first party
30 new IP's

I might have missed some smaller network titles or extremely niche stuff Sony published, but it's a very large difference. And many of the things they green lit on PS3 are what set it apart from the 360, especially towards the end of the gen when MS was focusing on Kinect and Halo/Gears/Forza with some small XBLA stuff thrown in, are the types of games Sony apparently doesn't believe in any more.

I buy what Schreier is saying because we already saw Sony pull away from variety and risk during the PS4 era, as the numbers above prove. They focused more on big titles, with much fewer exceptions than the PS3 era. And they relied much more on third party deals than PS3 era with PS4, and by all accounts will rely on them even more during PS5's life time. Bear in mind those new IP numbers don't really put any context, but I'd argue the PS3 number is not only much higher (over double) but they were much larger new IP's. Stuff like Last of Us, Uncharted, Demon's Souls, Motorstorm, Resistance, Infamous, etc etc, hold more weight than a few new PSVR IP's and Horizon imho.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

Before the locking of the dupe thread i just wanted to laugh at this :

"
They got complacent with PS4 and we saw less of everything. Less new IP's, less first party games, less risks. Now it seems they're "cutting the fat" even more this generation. What do you guys think"

Sony made more new IPs last gen than Nintendo, MS, Ubisoft, EA, WB, Take-Two, Activision, etc. all COMBINED.

Around the Network

I think I mentioned it in the other thread, Sony is outsourcing smaller projects from the look of things. Like Nintendo, they are sticking with and doubling down with what makes money. Big AAA is what brings in the main crowds, unlike us here in forums. The silver screen has kinda down this for films where there movies with high spectacle bring in the big bucks.

I'm not sure sure Jason has the whole story though. As per his other stories, her has spun everything in a negative light. You could write the same article about Nintendo how they stopped to invest in New games and keep remaking the same old games.

Dreams failed as it's harder to create shit due being more overwhelming.LBP itself saw a decline in sales and Dreams didn't even have a cute mascot to aim at parents and children, nor Stephen Fry.

Saying that, I do agree, Dreams should be ported across all systems. This could be Sony's Minecraft / Roblox and if what MM said it's true that they have been given more money to invest in, then maybe this might be happening still.

Japan studio going, I think this was premature. Yes they didn't make anything that sold well in over a decade, but who knows where this will go if they invest in a new handheld.

Drakrami said:

This is easy...

I am sure what he is reporting, there is some truth to it. But way overblown by opinion for sure.

Reality, really easy to see the big picture, a good niche game may sell for 1-2million. An AAA game like Spiderman, GOW will sell for 10-15million; are you going for the 15million or the 2million?

This is not just Sony, it's been the trend for the whole industry for the past 15 years. This is why you hear devs complaining about the high development cost of AAA games. How this article can twist this into a Sony problem, I lol.

This is also complaining about a company with the best exclusives in the market and bringing as niches games like Pupeteer, FF7 Remake, Dreams, Sackboy, Detriot: Become Human, Drawn to Death, Knack 2 and many more... So, I cant see how people can complain with their eyes closed.

The trend of the gamers is to make opinions about rumours and future instead of the present. 

I loved all the Sony blockbusters like The last of us, horizon, ratchet, spider-man, ghosts of Tsushima and god war. tens of millions of people are looking forward too sequels or more of those type of games. Based on history and present Sony is on a roll but is receiving continuous media backlash for 2 years now ever since the new Xbox was introduced. 

People are appraising Microsoft for their new studios and what they will bring to the future. Yet the truth is none of those games have come out so you can't put them on a pedestal yet. Media has been overly positive though in the last 2 years. Appraise when the next Age of Empires 4 or Halo 6 turns out to be an amazing game. Not before if you look at their track record. 

I'm sure there are discussions happening about what to do and that not always everyone will agree. That is inevitable in any business but again it is reported as Sony doing bad while until this point when it concerns gaming they made more often the right decision than not. So let's wait out the games. We'll have Returnal in a few weeks, Ratchet in few months and Horizon later this year. If those games all turn out great then Sony has covered a smaller blockbuster project, a great platformer and RPG

Stories unfolded with my home made rap songs. Feel free to listen here with lyrics: https://youtu.be/vyT9PbK5_T0

The truth is I have been feeling this for some time now. I keep my Switch and PS4 (and at a later date PS5) for the 1st party blockbusters and play all the indie titles on my PC. I am not a big fan of this turnaround, but the writing was on the wall. Sony wants to go the Nintendo way, ie have some major blockbuster IP's that continuously sell 10 million+ and throw in smaller titles with partner studios or newly established ones.

The truth is, that if they manage to keep their PS4 level output, they will still sell 100 million + PS5's no matter what, and I guess I am fine with that. To bad that we won't see games like Puppeteer anymore, or they will be few and far between.

Oh, and Jason Schreier is pretty reliable IMHO. He is one of the few people who actually proven time and time again that he has insider info, so no reason to doubt this.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

elazz said:

Based on history and present Sony is on a roll but is receiving continuous media backlash for 2 years now ever since the new Xbox was introduced. 

I don't remember any backlash like this but media have been on their back recently. Which to me is the weirdest thing. Sony themselves have just continues what they were doing. Sony give us some amazing award winning games and people love them, both on PS4 before PS5 or Xbox Series were announced. PS5 is obviously more in demand than Xbox Series X/S but neither console are bad or anti-consumer.

Both companies have bought, opened and closed some studios in the last few years. No different to usual. The only thing that is different in the last few years? MS spent billions on buying one of their main game making rivals, a company that was/is considered a major 3rd party for all platforms. A great move for MS, sure, they have the money to but has caused no ends of debate and turmoil for many gamers.

Yet somehow this has turned to Sony = Bad?

Hmm, pie.

The article is a bit hyperbolic and the title is sensationalist. It uses the bombshell (TLOU remake leak) to cover up and compensate for the fact that the rest of it as an opinion piece presented as facts. We don't know the full reason why Sony behaved the way they did... maybe the team's work on TLOU remake wasn't good enough? maybe they changed too much? Sounds like they're being protectionist with their biggest IP, who can blame them?

Days Gone 2 pitch was probably bad? and while the first was a commercial success, it hasn't turned into a sensation like Ghost of Tsushima has, for example. It's also kind of ridiculous how Sony is being accused of not taking risks for rejecting Days Gone sequel lmao. Greenlighting a sequel to a successful Zombie game is somehow considered taking risks now? a better sequel with multiplayer mode would have been an easy seller, a new IP is much, much harder to pull off. Not to mention, it's too early for a sequel anyway, the days in which SONY released 5 Crash or Uncharted games in one single generation are long gone.

The comparison between Sony focusing only on AAA and MS going for a more diverse portfolio is dumb as shit. Sony literally just released Demon Souls, Sackboy and Destruction All-Stars and have Returnal coming out this month which is a new unusual IP (and the one I am most excited to play), and we just had a year in which Ghost of Tsushima, Dreams, Death stranding etc were released. Plus, Sony are investing in PSVR and we had so many flops coming our way on PSVR platform, and their efforts seem to be carried over to PSVR2 as well. I call that diversity....

On the other hand, where is Microsoft's diversity? they haven't released an exclusive other than The Medium in the past year, this will change in the future obviously, but don't get twisted, SONY has trumped MS efforts for an entire generation and will continue to do so for the next few years.

The comparison between Dreams and Roblox is needless, Media Molecule still getting funding for the game, the devs pleasantly said so just recently? in fact there was an article the other day about how Sony is growing MM and they are hiring more people, look it up.

An objectively terrible article, not sure why it's being taken seriously by anyone.

Last edited by LurkerJ - on 10 April 2021