By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Jason Schreier: Sony's Obsession with Blockbusters is Stirring Unrest Within PS Empire

The smaller games don't cost as much and can often attract specific crowds to the system. People will buy consoles for more niche game types like Bayonetta or Horror titles.

Plus it isn't like Sony doesn't have a desire to aim for a diverse library. A platform holder needs to have a wider range of game releases to have a healthy platform, especially with a now four-way fight between Nintendo, Sony, PC, and Xbox families. You'd want to make sure your platform has games that cater and appeal to multiple different types of gamers. Last generation had the Wii U and Xb1 have major gaps in their genre libraries and look how that went.

Narrowing your content output is not what a platform holder needs to do. What they need to do is have a wide breth of content to not only attract customers, but encourage healthy game ecosystems. Similar games from a first party prop up third parties.

Nintendo example: Fire Emblem attracts strategy gamers who in turn play games like Wargroove or makes people like the genre and consider playing more games like it. Sony only making a certain type of game limits that...

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Around the Network

The secret San Diego Studio, VASG, who originally was a support studio, choosing to remake TLOU is a bit disappointing tbh. It seems ND is overseeing the project now but that shouldn't take up too many resources at the studio. Sony Bend helping on Factions 2 makes it sound like Sony's most ambitious multiplayer title yet. I wouldn't be surprised to see it as a PS+ title for PS5 users.

Other than that, Sony Bend was making the rumored Uncharted, but has now moved on to a new IP, which is a lot more exciting than a Days Gone sequel IMO. I wonder what happened to the Uncharted project though, whether its shelved or put on hold, maybe San Diego's Second Team (The MLB developers) have taken control with assistance from ND. 

I'm not concerned about Sony's direction when it comes to new IP's. If we go by the hiring sprees, job listings, and studio relocations, I think its safe to say GG & SSM have two teams, one of which are working on new IP's. I'd also wager ND, MM, London Studio, Pixel Opus, have new IP's in the works.

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 09 April 2021

That’s true. Under current SIE’s leadership, I doubt we would ever see LittleBigPlanet, Buzz, ModNation Racers, Entwined, Journey, Unfinished Swan, The PixelJunk games etc. on PS3. Yet these games, albeit not system sellers, brought much diversity along their bigger titles like God of War, R&C, Motorstorm, Gran Turismo, Uncharted, Infamous, Killzone etc. Can’t say for their prior systems, but PS3 exclusives were truly diverse. Their current strategy may make sense due to the mass appeal of games like Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn and The Last of Us, but it’s very risky and alienates their key signature of investing in unique and creative IPs.

How true this is depends on what you consider blockbuster games.

If that's their strategy though, then it's kind of understandable. That's really what Sony is successful at. Outside of Little Big Planet, they haven't had a ton of success with games that weren't in the more traditional AAA style, in terms of sales. Mod Nation, Puppeteer, and Playstation All-Stars didn't set the world on fire. So, there's a logic in playing to their key strength, especially since their most direct competitor isn't hitting it out of the park with those either (even if they have a few moderate hits like Ori). Nintendo is really good with those types of games, but Sony probably can't out Nintendo Nintendo.

The PS5 will have non-blockbuster games, they'll just come from smaller studios. And the content will probably be similar to or better than what's available on XBox.

As a gamer who tends to favor games that don't fit in the traditional AAA mold, I'd rather every company diversified, but from a business point of view, I think this makes sense, especially for the first couple of years of the system. Once you've already targeted the biggest group of your supporters, then you could branch out a bit.

I think Sony are outsourcing the smaller games like Volcano High, Bugs Snacks, Stray, Kena etc.

If there is a TLOU remake, Jim needs his ass kicked.

Around the Network

We already have / know of a few "AA" or small new ips on PS5 from Sony like: Astro's Playroom (a full game is hinted), Destruction AllStars, Returnal, Sackboy: A Big Adventure. That tells me a diffrent story. I guess we will see.

LudicrousSpeed said:

They got complacent with PS4 and we saw less of everything. Less new IP's, less first party games, less risks. Now it seems they're "cutting the fat" even more this generation.

Do we have numbers to compare?

Last edited by Astral - on 09 April 2021

Double post

Last edited by Astral - on 09 April 2021

Why would they remake The Last of Us??? Even the original PS3 version looks and plays fine. Seems like a waste of resources.

RedKingXIII said:

Why would they remake The Last of Us??? Even the original PS3 version looks and plays fine. Seems like a waste of resources.

As long as it makes visible improvements, it will probably sell more than enough to pay for itself, and from Sony's point, hopefully take some of the heat off of Sony from the controversies surrounding TLOU2.

I guess Jason would invest his own money on losing money projects right?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."