By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Jason Schreier: Sony's Obsession with Blockbusters is Stirring Unrest Within PS Empire

Darwinianevolution said:

What do you mean a Last of Us remake? It was remade for the PS4 already! And the PS5 can play it just as well! Why bother with that one so soon? There must be other PS classics in more need of remaster...

But on topic, Sony needs to have more variety within their teams. Trimming so much their studios in order to just have blockbusters is going to cost them more experimental titles that might become the exact thing Sony wants. Also, going back to more japanese-centric focus wouldn't hurt them either.

LoU was remastered on PS4 but not remade. It was the same game with better graphics. A remake would allow them to add new mechanics, animations, change the story around, etc. But I agree it’s way too soon to remake it.

Around the Network

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I don't necessarily think that it's bad if Sony is focusing on AAA titles.  I'm more worried about how much they want to turn their games into actual movies.  I'm SURE some will be okay, but overall the general consensus is that games turned into movies almost always turn out bad or subpar compared to their source material.  Part of that is because games have no limit to how much time they can spend on hashing out details, and most movies become a highlight reel for the game because of the nature of compressing a 20 hour adventure into 2 hours.

On the flipside, I may not feel the unrest because I'm an all-platform user, so if Sony is just pumping out AAA games, then that's what I'll be playing on the PS5.  Nintendo has always had the more intimate and creative games, so whatever Nintendo's latest console is has always fed that part.  And then it looks like Xbox is THE place to be for third party gaming, and that's exactly what my XSX has been doing (despite my PC being better equipped to do it).

I may have skimmed the thread, but someone above said something I sentimentally agree on: let each company have their market focus.

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
Otter said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

Before the locking of the dupe thread i just wanted to laugh at this :

"
They got complacent with PS4 and we saw less of everything. Less new IP's, less first party games, less risks. Now it seems they're "cutting the fat" even more this generation. What do you guys think"

Hmm, maybe they can co-exist, this is more focusing on playstation and its management direction, the other TLOU Remake

Feels like they're different enough to me.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Darwinianevolution said:

What do you mean a Last of Us remake? It was remade for the PS4 already! And the PS5 can play it just as well! Why bother with that one so soon? There must be other PS classics in more need of remaster...

But on topic, Sony needs to have more variety within their teams. Trimming so much their studios in order to just have blockbusters is going to cost them more experimental titles that might become the exact thing Sony wants. Also, going back to more japanese-centric focus wouldn't hurt them either.

LoU was remastered on PS4 but not remade. It was the same game with better graphics. A remake would allow them to add new mechanics, animations, change the story around, etc. But I agree it’s way too soon to remake it.

Fair enough, but considering how beloved the original TLoU is, I can't imagine any major change to the game being well received. Especially if it's around the story, they still have to get over the kerfuffle that TLoU2 made.

Last edited by Darwinianevolution - on 09 April 2021

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

TLOU remake? lol WTF why? It's not that old. Arrogant Sony is back in full force.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

This is easy...

I am sure what he is reporting, there is some truth to it. But way overblown by opinion for sure.

Reality, really easy to see the big picture, a good niche game may sell for 1-2million. An AAA game like Spiderman, GOW will sell for 10-15million; are you going for the 15million or the 2million?

This is not just Sony, it's been the trend for the whole industry for the past 15 years. This is why you hear devs complaining about the high development cost of AAA games. How this article can twist this into a Sony problem, I lol.

This is also complaining about a company with the best exclusives in the market and bringing as niches games like Pupeteer, FF7 Remake, Dreams, Sackboy, Detriot: Become Human, Drawn to Death, Knack 2 and many more... So, I cant see how people can complain with their eyes closed.

Drakrami said:

This is easy...

I am sure what he is reporting, there is some truth to it. But way overblown by opinion for sure.

Reality, really easy to see the big picture, a good niche game may sell for 1-2million. An AAA game like Spiderman, GOW will sell for 10-15million; are you going for the 15million or the 2million?

This is not just Sony, it's been the trend for the whole industry for the past 15 years. This is why you hear devs complaining about the high development cost of AAA games. How this article can twist this into a Sony problem, I lol.

This is also complaining about a company with the best exclusives in the market and bringing as niches games like Pupeteer, FF7 Remake, Dreams, Sackboy, Detriot: Become Human, Drawn to Death, Knack 2 and many more... So, I cant see how people can complain with their eyes closed.

But putting all your eggs in one basket, especially such an expensive and increasingly overcrowded basket, is usually not as good an idea as one may think. There's a reason everyone complains about the cost increase of AAA games, they (and more importantly, the shareholders' expectations) are going up as technology evolves, and the consequences of failure are becoming more and more severe with time. Honestly I'm surprised we haven't had more big AAA failures nowadays, considering how crowded that space is becoming. Plus, if every title must be a 10+ million seller you will leave behind the smaller and more creative titles, and many of those may become the very thing they want anyway: multimillion sellers.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

This reminds me of the approach MS began to take at the end of the 7th gen. They were obsessed with blockbuster AAA games.

I actually don't mind Sony doubling down on AAA's. They already have some of the best third/second party support in the industry with the likes of Kena, SiFu, Bugsnax, Guilty Gear, Destruction All Stars, FallGuys, Disco Elysium, Stray, Sackboy, Genshin Impact, etc, so its not like they're abandoning indies/AA's, they're just not making them in house for the most part.