By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Jason Schreier: Sony's Obsession with Blockbusters is Stirring Unrest Within PS Empire

Uh, you do realize Death Stranding sold millions and was a success, right? Also check out Twitch sometime. Loads of popular games on there that aren’t AAA blockbusters. Consumers do play the smaller games.

Around the Network
twintail said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Yup. Some of my favorite PS3 games (Killzone 2, Motorstorm, SOCOM Confrontation, Twisted Metal, etc) are apparently not the type of games they're going to be making anymore because they aren't AAA enough. That sucks. And there are loads of great PS2 IP's they have never bothered reviving. Where's a proper Mark of Kri sequel? IIRC it was made by the team that now just updates MLB rosters every year. How about a War of the Monsters sequel? Jaffe seems to have a lot of free time nowadays.

They aren't the type of games Sony makes anymore because no one at Sony wants to make them. It's really as simple as that.

For more niche games like War of the Monsters, it doesn't make sense for Sony to push for a new title because the development of indie and AA games has grown so exponentially over the last decade that it serves little benefit, if any at all, for Sony. 

This is partly why we have seen Japan Studio reduced in size. They were pumping out games that were being overshadowed by indie releases. The studio itself hadn't properly grown since the PS3 era. It was just a stagnant development house, that was ultimately just completely outclassed by small dev teams. Just take "It Takes Two" from EA/ Hazelight. This game is of a quality, and of more popularity than anything Japan Studio has made like in years. 

This market is already being served 100 times over. But that doesn't mean a new WotM can't be made... it's just that no studio has come up with a proposal that will truly allow the IP sing. 

Man The Last Guardian for me is of very high quality. Would say better than any EA title.

LudicrousSpeed said:

You don’t know what developers at Sony want to make. Case in point, Bend wanted to make Days Gone 2, Sony big wigs said no.

Yes we know, on several accounts they are free to chose, but of course not everything get greenlit. Still Sony doesn't point and say do this.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Yes they do, just not all the time. Same as any other publisher. This is all in the article and has been confirmed by people who worked on Days Gone that David Jaffe interviewed.

Doctor_MG said:

Bold 1: Yes, from a business point of view, but remember I'm not arguing from a business point of view. I identify that they've been very successful recently. Whether that is because of the AAA focus or just overall great brand recognition I'm not sure, but they've been successful so I'm not surprised they are sticking with it. I'm essentially arguing from my point of view as a consumer and a Playstation fan. Playstation has always offered me a wide variety of exclusives to play. The PS4 is the first Playstation console I've owned where my best memories aren't with exclusives, but third party multiplatform games. If this is the direction they are taking the PS5 I don't think I'm going to buy one. 

Bold 2 and Bold 3: This is predicated on the assumption that the IP's which are not continuing did not have lasting appeal. I think this is an erroneous assumption because there are some games Sony simply stopped making despite the success (e.g. Resistance or Jak and Daxter). Could these games have had lasting appeal? Possibly, but we wont know until Sony gives it a shot. We've seen franchises that were once very unappealing after numerous entries (Tony Hawk, Crash Bandicoot) revamped to great success. We've also seen franchises that didn't perform terribly well initially come back with greater success (Shadow of the Colossus). Utilizing these older IP's for smaller budget titles would not stop them from emphasizing the AAA blockbusters and it would also allow them to gauge interest for these other IP's. Nostalgia is a helluva drug.

Bold 4: First off, I'm insulted about your remark of Sony Japan! Astrobot and Gravity Rush are some of my favorite new IP's from Sony in the last 10 years. Second, I think games like Nier and Nioh would have been made regardless of Sony's investment. I would prefer Sony to fund games that would not have been made without their influence/investment. 

And don't worry about the Xbox comment. I sold my Xbox One in 2017 for a new 3DS and never looked back. Still hoping Halo Infinite turns out good though. Also hoping that Sony develops a Sunset Overdrive sequel since they own the IP now, but with this news it makes it less likely. 

1. I think for a PS fan you should realise that both go hand in hand, good business means continuity of the brand, and no SONY AA or AAA games without good business. Especially when you're main competitor has the second biggest cash reserve in the world that grows every quarter, and the minute they started taking the console business seriously, Phil snapped his fingers and Bethesda with all its IPs are now Xbox. It was cute to see PS fans believing SONY could win a bidding war against MS and buy SE lol. I know the story was false, but it's a good example if why SONY must be a good run business and grow organically as whatever chances they had at buying big third party studios have now completely vanished. Does that involve growing pains like decreased software output? Sure, but it's necessary if you don't want to be PS to be a third party machine, and that what it's been when compared to Nintendo's consoles. 

2. Maybe, just maybe, the reason that most of those IPs have stopped being made because of declining sales? Taking one of the examples you gave, we know Resistance 3 sold LESS THAN HALF of what Resistance 2 did in its first month in the USA, accordingly, we know that the IP was declining in popularity, not growing. If at one point SONY decides to give Resistance another chance, great, if not, I won't hold it against them, really. 

3. With that said, some (not all) of SONY'S IPs are worth revisiting and reviving. A lot of their games were diluted and experienced fatigue because of milking. For example, Twisted Metal is one of the games ever made, the IP has always had an immense potential, especially now with online gaming and games like PUBG being so popular. I believe we'll get a Twisted Metal entry this generation, and if my judgement is correct, it will be a good one because SONY's less accepting of mediocrity these days. 

And sure, maybe the IPs that you're interested in can make a great comeback, but unlike MS's resources, most companies resources are finite, so prioritisation is key. Besides, I feel like many are being purposefully ignorant of titles like Returnal, Sackboy Adventure, Astroboy. It's honestly not as black and white as many are portraying it be. Returnal over another Résistance any day of the week! And after Returnal, I, like many, expect Homesquare to be become a first party studio. 

Prioritisation and funding AA games that leads to organic expansion? what can I say but business well-run (might be too late, though!). And don't get me wrong, there is a lot of criticism to throw around at SONY, but not because they're not making more forgettable games. For instance, why are not talking about how PS NOW is playing catch up to xCloud when SONY was way ahead of the competition not so long ago, gg SONY, gg....

4. SONY Japan: Astroboy, yes, I agree. The good news? The team that made Astroboy is still with SONY, they were not let go. I never owned a Vita but I borrowed it for the sake of trying, and as someone who personally played Gravity Rush, good riddance, honestly  

As for you preferring more Gravity Rush than Nioh or Nier exclusivity. I get where you're coming from, but that's a terrible business decision for the PS brand as a whole. With Nier, you're taking about an IP that became bigger than Kingdom Heart under the PS umbrella and revenues that SONY must have shared with SE, I'd take that over Gravity Rush, easily.  You may not buy the PS5, but in the long-run, you'll become more appreciative of SONY's decisions as a gamer, I think.

Finally, I can't stress enough on how it's not as black and white as it's made out to be. The no more AA games narrative is baffling when the PS5 line up has Sackboy, Astroboy, Returnal, Demon Souls, Destructive allstars and Ratchet & Clank. I just can't. 

Last edited by LurkerJ - on 17 April 2021

LudicrousSpeed said:

Yes they do, just not all the time. Same as any other publisher. This is all in the article and has been confirmed by people who worked on Days Gone that David Jaffe interviewed.

The only confirmation we got was that they were working on a pitch for of DG2, one I didn't know you were so eager to play, the one interviewed by David Jaffe from what I saw just said it and that he couldn't say or confirm anything else due to NDA.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:

Uh, you do realize Death Stranding sold millions and was a success, right? Also check out Twitch sometime. Loads of popular games on there that aren’t AAA blockbusters. Consumers do play the smaller games.

Yes they do play smaller games, ofcourse there is a market for smaller games and will continue to be supported. But the guy was was talking about AAA games in the hundreds of millions.

Still a lot of false alarms caused