By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The DualSense has changed my mind...

...at least for now. 

First I want to say, the significance of controllers as a peripheral is severely underappreciated and often overlooked as a deciding factor when choosing a system.

Most in part due to the evolution of graphics but also the nature of bias gaming.

It's a thing. 

It wasn't until Sega released their SixButton that the topic was up for debate and even then, gamers (console) never really spoke much about it. You just played with what was accessible or if you were a cool kid, you had to play with turbo buttons but I digress.

Nintendo undoubtedly set the blueprint for controllers but imo, Microsoft is the reason why ergonomics are now considered just as important as layout and ability. 

Since the OG Box dropped the S controller, I've been nothing but impressed with their approach. The bar had been set and Playstations refusal to adapt coupled with Nintendos wonky way of doing things, it seemed as though MS had this one in the bag and they most certainly did....until now.

I picked up a DualSense. Not because I own a PS5 because I don't (yet) but because of my passion for controllers and right out of the box, at first glance, I can honestly say THIS IS thee best controller on the market today.

Every controller has it's flaws as does the DualSense but those flaws are anecdotal. It's very hard to argue otherwise. 

So what's my point? 

Point is, it dawned on me back in the 64 days, that if I could play Goldeneye with a S controller, I would. If I could play Uncharted with a 360 controller I would.

So was it really the system I had bias for or was it simply the controller? I'm not a graphics guy. Never was and never will be so if that's your thing then maybe this topic isn't for you but after all these years of loyalty, I may soon be siding with Sony because they finally get it. 

They finally understand the true significance and importance of how a controller can make or break one's experience gaming because the DualSense is absolutely fccking amazing.

Insert Coin. Press START. You Died. Continue?

Around the Network

Am I the only one who see almost no difference in any of those controllers unless it's something so different that is impossible to ignore (like Wii U) ?

IcaroRibeiro said:

Am I the only one who see almost no difference in any of those controllers unless it's something so different that is impossible to ignore (like Wii U) ?

If I could slap you as hard as I possibly could right now, I would for your own good ofcourse. 

I'm jk. I salute gamers who have no gripe with what they play with. That's great...but I can't. It's got to feel right.

Insert Coin. Press START. You Died. Continue?

SuperRetroTurbo said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

If I could slap you as hard as I possibly could right now, I would for your own good ofcourse. 

I'm jk. I salute gamers who have no gripe with what they play with. That's great...but I can't. It's got to feel right.

Well as long is not some kind of annoying motion control it's fine for me :p 

The DualSense is my best controller. I preferred the asymmetric joysticks before it, but now the symmetric configuration doesn’t bother me.
Maybe it' because the weight and the size feels right.

Around the Network

Agreed. It is a pretty great controller.

The ergonomics are great, the haptics and adaptive triggers are cool, but my favorite part of the DualSense is how tightly tuned all the inputs feel. Not brittle, mushy, or loose, everything just has a nice tactile bump to it - kinda like brown switches on a good mechanical keyboard.

It's my new favorite as well.

Haven't used a DualSense yet. I don't have a PS5 and it doesn't seem worth getting for PC gaming (which I don't do much of).

The new features seem fantastic. I am concerned about the drifting and the ergonomics. It just doesn't look comfortable to me. The DualShock 4 is the most comfy of any PS controller I've ever used (I've used a DualShock 2 and DualShock 3 before). The DualSense looks angular and possibly uncomfortable. But I'll probably not feel that way if I actually use it.

Controllers are pretty cool. The GameCube is one of my favorites. Despite its faults, I love the shape.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 125 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million)

PS5: 105 million Xbox Series S/X: 60 million

PS4: 122 mil (was 100 then 130 million) Xbox One: 50 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

SuperRetroTurbo said:

I picked up a DualSense. Not because I own a PS5 because I don't (yet) but because of my passion for controllers and right out of the box, at first glance, I can honestly say THIS IS thee best controller on the market today.

Every controller has it's flaws as does the DualSense but those flaws are anecdotal. It's very hard to argue otherwise. 

So how do you use the DualSense if you don't have a PS5?

Have you connected it to a PC? Or haven't you connected it at all and your only experience with it so far are the ergonomics?

IcaroRibeiro said:
SuperRetroTurbo said:

Well as long is not some kind of annoying motion control it's fine for me :p 

Even then.... I feel like the Wii motes, were what made the wii so iconic.