By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 and PS Vita stores no longer closing

Runa216 said:

Alright, so you won. I challenge you all to buy games on the PSVita and PS3. Or hell, even play them. Oh, wait, I guarantee none of you are actually going to do that. and no, don't bother correcting me, I know you're lying or just being contrarian.

What is your problem exactly? That people who still enjoy the platforms are able to buy games on them? That people who never owned the platforms can still purchase one and still feel like they can get some value out of it? That Sony can continue to profit from the sales of such purchases? 

Cutting your nose to spite your face in full force here, and it's a terrible look.

Around the Network
Raven said:
Runa216 said:

Alright, so you won. I challenge you all to buy games on the PSVita and PS3. Or hell, even play them. Oh, wait, I guarantee none of you are actually going to do that. and no, don't bother correcting me, I know you're lying or just being contrarian.

What is your problem exactly? That people who still enjoy the platforms are able to buy games on them? That people who never owned the platforms can still purchase one and still feel like they can get some value out of it? That Sony can continue to profit from the sales of such purchases? 

Cutting your nose to spite your face in full force here, and it's a terrible look.

It's like people are mad that other people want to play with their toys in a different way that they like to play with their toys.

The PS3 is my first and only console I've ever owned. As someone who has three generations worth of PlayStation exclusives to catch up on, I'm absolutely still a customer. And given that it will be years  before I get to some of these games, I feel much better knowing that things like patches and DLC will be there when I finally get to them.

GoOnKid said:
Darwinianevolution said:

They should be more responsible with their digital platforms anyway. Who's going to buy a digital only platform like, say, the PS5 digital model, if they start hearing stories about digital stores closing and patches (or even entire games) ending up completely unaccessible? That's why you invest in physical.

I agree!

DonFerrari said:

I`m sure that now all the people that were upset will buy a lot from the PS3 and mainly PSVita store right?

I think the market for older games is big enough. Retro gaming never goes out of fashion.

Shaunodon said:

Better than the present.

Runa216 said:

Shaunodon rated The Legend of Dragoon (PSN)

I don't think you know people as well as you claim to.

The present sure has an uphill battle, though. So many classics to play, so little time in a life.

If the market for those games was really that significant Sony wouldn`t have gone to close their store. It is that simple.

forest-spirit said:
DonFerrari said:

I`m sure that now all the people that were upset will buy a lot from the PS3 and mainly PSVita store right?

Runa216 said:

Are you guys for real? It sounds like you're mad that Sony changed their mind about this. Did you want these stores to close?

For me the store being open or closed is irrelevant, but both of us is just pointing that a lot of the vocal people complaining won`t really be putting the money on those stores, because guess what, if there were truly that many people buying there they wouldn`t close them.

Acevil said:

I love people who downplay people's want to play Classic Games on this site, it is fricken hilarious. It is like people ignore the obvious demand in the market for retro games, retro consoles, retro devices that can play said games.

It is like you ignore that Sony have the numbers and they know the demand isn`t enough.

Raven said:
Runa216 said:

The problem is quite obvious, people that were outragged that Sony was closing the store while ignoring that the reason it was being closed is that it doesn`t make much revenue anymore.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Just can't see why Sony doesn't just emulate the PS3 on the PS5 and roll the store into it's own separate section and continue to profit from the platform.

But good news for the older platforms, lets keep them around for as long as possible.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Runa216 said:

Well, I bought "World of Final Fantasy" for my Vita last week and began playing it after finishing Final Fantasy 7 Remake this week. Also still playing Danganronpa 3 a bit further every few days.

I also bought the God of War Collection 2 (Ghost of Sparta HD + Chains of Olympus HD) today for my PS3, both games are currently downloading.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Runa216 said:

I'm an anomaly but I've literally just played Zelda Twilight Princess on Wii U this morning, Prince of Persia 2008 on PS3 an hour or two ago, and Geometry Wars on Xbox 360 a few minutes ago. I don't know if it shows up in my PS3 activity but you can see my last several Xbox games in my sig which should include TMNT 1989 and Geometry Wars on Xbox 360.

I love the 7th gen. In fact, last week, I just bought a new 22 inch 1080p TV just for those old consoles. If only I could figure out a way to get my old exclusive Prince of Persia skins from ubisoft's U-Play service back on my PS3...

It's really a great system. I was surprised to see the browser still works and I even downloaded some new custom themes from that website directly to the console. Gonna finish Metal Gear Rising on PS3 this week.

https://psnprofiles.com/Runa216/

I also just went back and played some PS3 games a month or so ago (just before this little thing went down). I don't doubt that some people are going to continue to buy and play PS3/Vita games, but relative to the backlash it just seems quite silly to me. People get so angry about losing the stores, but I guarantee like 99.8% of all the people who whined about it either haven't spent a dime on the Ps3 or Vita stores in the last year, and likely haven't spent more than 10 minutes on the consoles. 

There ARE always exceptions (I'm one of them, I actually DO intend to pick up a handful of PS1 Classics on Ps3/vita before the store finally DOES close down, thus turning my Ps3/Vita into its own PSClassic), but just like so many things in the games industry and the medium as a whole, gamers are entitled shits who demand the world but don't deserve it. 

The ironic thing is that, as I said, I am one of the ones who actually CAN, DOES, and WILL continue to utilize these storefronts. I'm one of the few who still plays Ps3 and vita games from time to time. my wiiU gets more action than my Xbox One. My SNES gets more action than my Wii. I like old consoles, I just acknowledge that I am in the minority here and while it's nice to see support continuing for these consoles, I'm not selfish enough to believe that me and the 15 other people worldwide who do this are worth Sony's continued investment. 

I am actually quite relieved that the storefronts are remaining up and this IS a good thing...but it is disappointing that I'm part of a community that acts so selfish and entitled regardless of the logic or reason behind it. If sony did shut down the Ps3 store and the Vita Store, then I'd understand. It made perfect, logical sense from every angle. Sucks for me, but that's how time works. Old technology gets left in the past. That's just how shit works. I know games are 'art' or whatever, and I also do agree with that...but it's also an industry, a business, and as such it's prone to the same flow of time as every other form of business or technology. 

Nobody's makin' VHS tapes anymore, because DVDs and Blu-Rays are objectively better. And nobody's complaining. 

There is no one-size-fits-all solution for this. Every medium has its own pros and cons. Gaming is an interactive medium and thus has its own set of challenges associated with the preservation of the medium. 

My whole thing here is just how baffling it is that people are bitching so loudly about something that we all know almost none of you are going to use. Some, sure, but let's be honest an overwhelming majority of people who raised this fuss will never touch their PS3 or Vita again. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Pemalite said:

Just can't see why Sony doesn't just emulate the PS3 on the PS5 and roll the store into it's own separate section and continue to profit from the platform.

But good news for the older platforms, lets keep them around for as long as possible.

Fingers crossed that when they do shut down the PS3 and Vita stores (i'm guessing 2022 or 2023), they will have some PS1-PS3 titles on PS5.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Runa216 said:
d21lewis said:

I'm an anomaly but I've literally just played Zelda Twilight Princess on Wii U this morning, Prince of Persia 2008 on PS3 an hour or two ago, and Geometry Wars on Xbox 360 a few minutes ago. I don't know if it shows up in my PS3 activity but you can see my last several Xbox games in my sig which should include TMNT 1989 and Geometry Wars on Xbox 360.

I love the 7th gen. In fact, last week, I just bought a new 22 inch 1080p TV just for those old consoles. If only I could figure out a way to get my old exclusive Prince of Persia skins from ubisoft's U-Play service back on my PS3...

It's really a great system. I was surprised to see the browser still works and I even downloaded some new custom themes from that website directly to the console. Gonna finish Metal Gear Rising on PS3 this week.

https://psnprofiles.com/Runa216/

I also just went back and played some PS3 games a month or so ago (just before this little thing went down). I don't doubt that some people are going to continue to buy and play PS3/Vita games, but relative to the backlash it just seems quite silly to me. People get so angry about losing the stores, but I guarantee like 99.8% of all the people who whined about it either haven't spent a dime on the Ps3 or Vita stores in the last year, and likely haven't spent more than 10 minutes on the consoles. 

There ARE always exceptions (I'm one of them, I actually DO intend to pick up a handful of PS1 Classics on Ps3/vita before the store finally DOES close down, thus turning my Ps3/Vita into its own PSClassic), but just like so many things in the games industry and the medium as a whole, gamers are entitled shits who demand the world but don't deserve it. 

The ironic thing is that, as I said, I am one of the ones who actually CAN, DOES, and WILL continue to utilize these storefronts. I'm one of the few who still plays Ps3 and vita games from time to time. my wiiU gets more action than my Xbox One. My SNES gets more action than my Wii. I like old consoles, I just acknowledge that I am in the minority here and while it's nice to see support continuing for these consoles, I'm not selfish enough to believe that me and the 15 other people worldwide who do this are worth Sony's continued investment. 

I am actually quite relieved that the storefronts are remaining up and this IS a good thing...but it is disappointing that I'm part of a community that acts so selfish and entitled regardless of the logic or reason behind it. If sony did shut down the Ps3 store and the Vita Store, then I'd understand. It made perfect, logical sense from every angle. Sucks for me, but that's how time works. Old technology gets left in the past. That's just how shit works. I know games are 'art' or whatever, and I also do agree with that...but it's also an industry, a business, and as such it's prone to the same flow of time as every other form of business or technology. 

Nobody's makin' VHS tapes anymore, because DVDs and Blu-Rays are objectively better. And nobody's complaining. 

There is no one-size-fits-all solution for this. Every medium has its own pros and cons. Gaming is an interactive medium and thus has its own set of challenges associated with the preservation of the medium. 

My whole thing here is just how baffling it is that people are bitching so loudly about something that we all know almost none of you are going to use. Some, sure, but let's be honest an overwhelming majority of people who raised this fuss will never touch their PS3 or Vita again. 

There was a time when I was really anti-digital. If I couldn't find a physical copy, I was pretty pissed. Then during the PSP era, I went pretty much full digital on that console and that console only. Somewhere during the first year of the 8th gen (PS4 and XBO, not Wii U), I had a change of heart. Full digital aside from my copy of BotW that has never left my Switch since the day I bought it.

But anyway, here's my point. I wasn't one of those guys that complained about Sony shutting down their stores, at all. Even when I lost all of my digital PSP comics because they quit supporting that part of the market. Even when Sony wouldn't let my re-download movies I had purchased on PS3 (oddly enough, I could stream them on PS4 and recently, I was able to download them again on my PS3!).

I'm very pro digital. I decided long ago that I'm happy just playing the game and not owning it. I've even warmed up to streaming games. And when something goes away-- be it online multiplayer, DLC, or the entire game--I just go with the flow. My digital copy of Shadow of the Colossus for PS3 is gone and I can't even re-download it! It's not even on the store.

I am happy that the option is still there. I said time and again that 7th gen games still look and play great. I probably play more 360 games on my Xbox One than Xbox One games. And when I'm not playing actual 7th gen games, I'm playing their remasters.

But yeah, I'm in the minority. I know it. 

Runa216 said:

Do you know why nobody is complaining about that?

Because they didn't stop selling movies older than 1990, these movies are still available on DVD and Blu-ray.

If only movies of 1990 and newer were available on DVD and Blu-ray, there would be a similar situation... and there WOULD be complaining... a lot.

Pemalite said:

The PS3 is notoriously difficult to emulate due to its particular architecture. Also, from a business perspective, it's more profitable for Sony to remaster/remake any major PS3 release than just allow the original version to be bought as legacy content.

But yeah, at this point the PS5 should be able to play all PS content. It's powerful enough to do so, and if it's BC with the PS4, no reason not to be able to play Vita or other legacy platforms.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.