By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Possibly Buying Sega and Konami

Japan is dominated for Nintendo. Sega has PC games too and Konami has not done anything important with any of their IP.
Sega colud work really well with Microsoft and Gamepass.
Konami ip's should be bought by Nintendo. (Metalgear and Silent Hill been the exception)

Sorry for my bad english.

Around the Network

Even Sony struggles to have headway in Japan nowadays compared to Nintendo. Even if Xbox bought either Konami or Sega, it would hardly make a dent in that market for Xbox. A bigger dent than now lol but still a dent.

Maybe the humor's too dry for my taste, but I don't really get the going thru the motions of discussing baseless rumor thing.
I mean, even the source article itself doesn't even attempt to present a credible specific claim, it's just going thru the motions.

CaptainExplosion said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Seems incredibly unlikely, but would be great if true. I'd love to see Sega owned by Microsoft.

I would not, especially after what happened when Rare was acquired by Microsoft, and Sega characters would probably be axed from Super Smash Bros. as a result of Sega being owned by Microsoft.

Smash has Banjo and Minecraft Steve, so I doubt such an acquisition would change anything in this regard.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I'm sure more acquisitions are coming, but definitely not right now. I don't see Sega selling to MS though. Nintendo...or maybe Sony would be one I would see buying them. If not Tencent.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Around the Network

Probably just a rumor as some have already pointed out, but I for one hope we won't be seeing any more big acquisitions, especially not so soon.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Ka-pi96 said:
Rafie said:

I'm sure more acquisitions are coming, but definitely not right now. I don't see Sega selling to MS though. Nintendo...or maybe Sony would be one I would see buying them. If not Tencent.

A Japanese company being bought out by a Chinese company seems much less likely than them selling to Microsoft given the current political situation.

Didn't know there was a political issue going on. Then I guess it's either Sony or Nintendo. I definitely don't see them selling to MS, although their relationship is a good one.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

My theory:

Microsoft is buying these studios to put itself in a position where one day Sony and Nintendo feel pressure to allow Gamepass on their devices or risk losing out on tremendous amounts of games. The more they buy the more pressure there is, and then MS collects fat checks on not only Xboxes/PCs, but also PlayStations and Nintendo devices. They have already done a tremendous amount of work at consolidating Western studios to apply this pressure, are working on deals with massive studios they can't buy (EA and Ubisoft, rumor has it) to have their games added to Gamepass (even if just some), and are now working on Japanese developers to really up the pressure on them. Getting these two studios wouldn't enable Xbox to have success in Japan, but if my theory is right it will enable Microsoft to have success in Japan by forcing Gamepass unto Switch 1 or 2 and PS5.

At some point, Nintendo and Sony won't be able to simply accept loss of access to a huge, seemingly-ever-growing-amount of games (since MS is buying so many) and they will have to bite the bullet and allow Gamepass on their devices or risk having lower software/hardware sales than necessary to make their respective consoles profitable enough to appease shareholders.

Ka-pi96 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

I would not, especially after what happened when Rare was acquired by Microsoft, and Sega characters would probably be axed from Super Smash Bros. as a result of Sega being owned by Microsoft.

Rare's decline had little to do with Microsoft. A lot of their best talent left in 1999, they started looking for a buyer in 2000 and Microsoft finally bought them in 2002. The decline had already started before the Microsoft purchase, it may not have fully shown itself yet, since game dev cycles take awhile, but it had started. Nintendo letting them go was a smart business decision. Whether they had been independent, been fully bought by Nintendo, or bought by somebody else entirely I doubt the end result would have been much different. Plus, times have changed massively since then.

I personally couldn't care less about Smash, so that's neither here nor there for me, but don't Microsoft already own some characters in Smash? So it may not make a difference in that regard anyway.

It would mean that Persona and Shin Megami Tensei would no longer be exclusive to one platform however and that would be a great thing indeed!

I know the mainline Persona games have not gone anywhere outside of Sony, but it's not exclusive to them. Especially since we saw Persona 4 Golden hit PC. SMT isn't exclusive to Nintendo either as Sony has had previous titles before. I'm with you on either of those games being exclusive to just one platform. I'm sure that was the point you were making.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

ROFL no.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!