By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

I just saw Top Gun: Maverick last Friday, movie was excellent. Say what you will about Tom Cruise as a person, he makes some damn good action films (I LOVED him in Tropic Thunder, LOL )and his penchant as an action guru is on full display here yet again. Pete Mitchell is explored and developed tenfold from the original Top Gun. He's given so much more to do and his relationships are so much more nuanced and interesting while still paying respect to the original. I'm not the biggest Miles Teller fan, but he really shines here as well along with the rest of the new cast, and the action scenes were absolutely amazing. You can tell Tom and the gang poured their heart and soul into delivering top flight action scenes (no pun intended). There's some amazing stunts and they amazingly keep raising the stakes with each new action scene, the third act was simply mindblowing. The movie's 2 hours and 12 minutes, but it feels like an hour and 45 minutes with how well-paced it is, I don't recall ever losing interest.

Oh and for the cherry on top, they showed the Mission: Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part 1 trailer in front of it. It's time for that obligatory meme again:

Fallout was amazing as I'm sure this will be, too.

Currently watching The Batman in 4K. Still blown away by it. It might actually take the mantle for best live-action Batman (or best Batman period) for me.

Last edited by KManX89 - on 29 May 2022

Around the Network

Watched Top Gun: Maverick earlier today and I thought it was awesome!

TallSilhouette said:

Holy shit has Bo outdone himself. A comedy special evolves into a transcendental art piece that hits you right where you live. Bo bares his genius and his soul and creates a true masterpiece as he films his mind unraveling. This will go down as one of the best and most poignant products of the pandemic; one for the history books. Please don't kill yourself, Bo. Find the balance you need...

Bo has released the outtakes for Inside right on his Youtube channel, substantial enough to basically be considered Inside 1.5. #1 on Trending and deservedly so!

https://youtu.be/5XWEVoI40sE (won't let me embed this one)

The Batman

Finally saw it; wasn't disappointed. The atmosphere, world-building, action, music, and performances are excellent. I'm incredibly burned out on superheroes at this point but I still managed to enjoy it which says a lot.

Just finished Devs. Amazing series and an interesting approach to sci-fi. Most people have never even heard of it. I definitely recommend it

Around the Network

Morbius. Terrible film. That is all.... But seriously one of the worst Superhero/villan movies I've seen in a good while. Bad acting, plot and premise. Not even entertaining for an origins story. Damn does this suck (pun intended) 3/10

Stranger Things Season 4. Really good. Plot is a little thin in this one and cast is looking a lot older (and a bit awkward in that sense) though the magic is still there. There are scenes in there that go even more into the realms that goes way past suspension of disbelief; though turning off ones brain every once in a while watching, its entertaining and then some. This is also way more graphic and does have more horror elements to it. Decent 8.5/10

Under the Banner of Heaven: Solid performances all around by both cast and crew. Better work out of Sam Worthington than I've seen in ages. I didn't realize just how much the show would revolve around Mormonism, both exploring and criticizing. I'm sure there are nice Mormons out there, but this miniseries does not paint a pretty picture and makes me gladder I'm no longer religious. Over all a decent murder mystery that can get plenty tense without a single shot fired.

Watching The Boys up to episode 4. Really good and refreshingly different show. Not sure if its the spectacular and gory scenes which manages to surprise and disgust to the slight digs at social commentary, the satire nature of it and the super hero genre. This continues the story in a good way, with the last episode (which I shall not ruin) has a certain character making a big appearance on screen; that is surely going to be a game changer in that world, among other mains getting something more.. which should get spicy. 8.5/10 so far.

Saw the whole season of Obi-Wan Kenobi.. and its the worst Star Wars feature I've seen. Absolutely pointless and seemingly gets more stupid in both plot as do the character/s. There's only a couple of decent action scenes in the movie.. the rest is dumb. And did I mention there's here's no reason for the story/prequel. Trash. 2/10

Last edited by hinch - on 16 June 2022

Mad God: Beautifully dark, creepy, and rugged. The resourceful and creative blend of stop motion, miniatures, and live action gives the film a handmade texture you rarely see these days. Don't go in looking for a traditional (or even coherent) story; it's exactly as advertised: a feverish nightmare brought to life.

Last edited by TallSilhouette - on 18 June 2022

Harley Quinn and MODOK: Two funny, refreshingly irreverent superherovillain comedies. Jim Gordon is my highlight of the former and the always good Patton Oswalt is the latter. Looking forward to S3 of Harley. Shame MODOK only got one season.