By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

The Stand by Stephen King

steve

Around the Network

The Last Duel: I had my doubts about this one, but Ridley pulled it off. Separating each act into each lead's own account of the story was an inspired move. Ben Affleck gives a surprisingly good performance in his supporting role. The action is visceral and the final battle had me on the edge of my seat, holding my breath awaiting the outcome, complete with one gnarly finish. The message at its core is well told and worth telling. Would watch again.

Halloween Kills: Not sure what changed for this film, but everything seems to have taken a step down from the last film which I enjoyed a lot. It's not bad, just okay this time. I hope the trilogy caps off with a return to form.

Last edited by TallSilhouette - on 18 October 2021

Ryuu96 said:

Finished Squid Game, it was great overall but I thought the final episode was weak.

Probably going to start Love, Death & Robots next, I'm looking at Alice in Borderland too.

the last episode was what made it an amazing show for me, deep and meaningful after all that coldness! especially in these money-dominated times we live in, I am impressed actually that they choose that direction with the last episode

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

I'm watching Dr Death, CSI: Vegas on tv (the old fashioned one episode a week deal!) and Another life season 2 on Netflix.

Dr Death is average, I don't really see Alec Baldwin as a concerned doctor and Mr Robot's dad feels very much out of place as well. Joshua Jackson is excellent though in his delusion and downward spiral. It's a shame the other actors all feel lacking.

CSI: Vegas, great to see the old crew again. Although the plot and science are still as bad as ever, which makes it enjoyable I guess.

Another Life S2, very good take on the terror of first contact with another truly alien species. And Captain Kara from Battlestar Galactica is still great!

Ryuu96 said:

Why did the Chucky show have to be on shitty cable networks, damn you America.

Hopefully it comes to a streaming service soon, who does SyFy tend to go with? I rarely watch anything SyFy lately since they cancel all their good shows.

Lol don't worry as soon as you get invested into a SyFy show they cancelled it. 

I don't bother watching them till they finish airing now then decide if i want to waste my time on an unfinished story line that ended abruptly. 

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:
Cobretti2 said:

Lol don't worry as soon as you get invested into a SyFy show they cancelled it. 

I don't bother watching them till they finish airing now then decide if i want to waste my time on an unfinished story line that ended abruptly. 

After The Expanse I was done with them, Lol. At least Amazon rescued that, I don't expect Chucky to last long and it would do a lot better on Netflix.

lol kind of like Cobra Kai. Most people didn't know it existed when it was on Youtube. Was funny watching people talk it upas a great new show when it hit Netflix two years later lol

DARK (Netflix)

Just finished the final episode. After three seasons of absolutely brilliant setup, I was really nervous that the finale couldn't possibly fulfil the potential of the intricate and ambitious web the show had woven up to that point. Thankfully, I was wrong. It came together masterfully, and with unforgettable poignancy, cementing its position as one of the best TV shows I've ever seen.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 19 October 2021

curl-6 said:

DARK (Netflix)

Just finished the final episode. After three seasons of absolutely brilliant setup, I was really nervous that the finale couldn't possibly fulfil the potential of the intricate and ambitious web the show had woven up to that point. Thankfully, I was wrong. It came together masterfully, and with unforgettable poignancy, cementing its position as one of the best TV shows I've ever seen.

Season 1 was brilliant but then I ran out of time to keep up with it. Glad to see some positive feedback. Guess I have to add it back into schedule.

Cobretti2 said:
curl-6 said:

DARK (Netflix)

Season 1 was brilliant but then I ran out of time to keep up with it. Glad to see some positive feedback. Guess I have to add it back into schedule.

You probably want to start over. I watched the seasons when they came out, was confused in season 2, more confused in season 3 about who was who again and what happened before. I don't remember the ending of season 3, just remember being confused and ready for it to be done. Season 1 was excellent, but I guess you need to watch them right after the other unless you have perfect memory :)

Yeah, if you're going to watch Dark definitely binge all 3 seasons at once.

Ever since watching Squid Game half my recommendations on Netflix have been K-Dramas (a genre I never dabbled in before). One I watched through was Alice, which is like Dark in many ways, but only made me appreciate Dark more. The first half or so had me quite interested, but it really fell off afterwards and the last couple episodes made it feel almost pointless. Trying to compare it to Dark, I could only say it has more problematic incest, ten times the melodrama and one tenth the intelligence. Also more endings than Lord of the Rings.

Watched season 3 of You. Pretty much everything I was hoping for, maybe the most fun season so far. I liked the ending, but I was surprised they went that route already. Feels like the series may have already peaked and I'm not quite as excited for the next.