4 2 3.77%

5 3 5.66%

6 4 7.55%

7 11 20.75%

8 14 26.42%

9 8 15.09%

10 9 16.98%

Total:53

I've never played a Pokémon game, but I can just imagine the things The Pokémon Company could do with this franchise, but everything they do is just lame. The remakes are not enticing and Legends, while it's appreciated they decided to do something different for once, despite the fact they just decided to take a gigantic note from BotW, looks really poor; way, way poorer than the 4-year old game they're trying to follow. For one of the largest media franchises in the world, it's disappointing to see what they continue to produce.

That's just how I see it, though, I don't think Pokémon deserves this kind of awful treatment.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network
SecondWar said:
JCGamer55 said:

How anyone would consider those Diamond and Pearl remakes acceptable is beyond me. Comparing them to Link's Awakening is absurd: The original Link's Awakening was a Gameboy game and the Switch remake looks a generation above what they have shown us with these Shining Diamond and Pearl. The original DP is a DS game remade into a low 3DS quality game. Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby look way more polished that these remakes, I can't believe it.

Now add that to the fact that they are hinting to skip the Platinum content like they did with Emerald and possibly only have the original 492 national dex from DP.

Because you are confusing an art style you dislike with competent gameplay, which is more important, and capability of software. I can understand why people are put off by the art style, by that it is trying to do a 3D take in the original games is more than fine with me. 
The comparison to Links Awakening is by no means absurd - despite one being much older both original games are 2D games remade in 3D and the remakes have similar art styles. The comparison is very valid. Again, using ORAS as a comparison boils done to the art styles used for the 3DS versus those on the Switch.

Also bear in mind the ORAS had content (specifically the Delta Episode) that wasn’t in any of the originals. Decent chance something like that happens with BDSP.

Bold of you to assume I dislike Link's Awakening artstyle. I actually like it, which is the reason why I liked it in the original DP games, which also had it. Soooo... These games apparently have same (or almost same) artstyle as the originals, not a striking difference in graphics quality (outside of battle animations which we know everyone praised on SwSh) and also doesn't seem like they will add a lot of new content outside of a DLC-like expansion. Sounds like a remaster more than a remake.

JCGamer55 said:
SecondWar said:

Because you are confusing an art style you dislike with competent gameplay, which is more important, and capability of software. I can understand why people are put off by the art style, by that it is trying to do a 3D take in the original games is more than fine with me. 
The comparison to Links Awakening is by no means absurd - despite one being much older both original games are 2D games remade in 3D and the remakes have similar art styles. The comparison is very valid. Again, using ORAS as a comparison boils done to the art styles used for the 3DS versus those on the Switch.

Also bear in mind the ORAS had content (specifically the Delta Episode) that wasn’t in any of the originals. Decent chance something like that happens with BDSP.

Bold of you to assume I dislike Link's Awakening artstyle. I actually like it, which is the reason why I liked it in the original DP games, which also had it. Soooo... These games apparently have same (or almost same) artstyle as the originals, not a striking difference in graphics quality (outside of battle animations which we know everyone praised on SwSh) and also doesn't seem like they will add a lot of new content outside of a DLC-like expansion. Sounds like a remaster more than a remake.

Was referring to you disliking the BDSP art style, which you made quite apparent, rather than Links Awakening.

I think whether its a remake or a remaster comes down to how the software was built. Is the DS software with some enhancements? Then its a remaster. Has it be rebuilt from the ground up? Then its a remake. I can’t see them having used the DS software at all so its still a remake even if the graphical style gives it the appearance of a remaster.

SecondWar said:
dark_gh0st_b0y said:

I feel the same but knowing Nintendo they wouldn't invest more when there are 20m buying them even with mediocre graphics

they are lazy, even Pokemon Colosseum has amazing in-battle animations compared to Sword/Shield

until Pokemon starts to die, that's all we'll get

Graphics have never been the key selling point for pokemon, and never will be.

that's no excuse to keep below average

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

A random thought:

I think they will never update the graphics of remakes again and with that in mind Unova will likely be their last remake 

The keep point is mainline series are getting smaller in scope each gen since gen 5 with the next iteration only bringing in less features, less gameplay, smaller maps and overall demanding less time to beat the main story with a non existent post-game content 

I mean, to make a full remake Pokemon Platinum with current gen graphics and maps you need to actually spend money and time. Sword and Shield have weird small lazy maps with boring routes and so on. Sinnoh is a bigger region with bigger story, more monuments, more designed geography, more cities, more story to animate, etc etc, the cost and time to make Sinnoh with Sword and Shield level of graphics would need more money and time than Sword and Shield to a potential smaller seller

Game Freak clearly doesn't care for quality, they want to maximize profits with a inferior quality product. This remake will sell over 10 million copies regardless of what it looks like, so why spend 5x their budget in a game that have a ceiling of sales under Sword and Shield (around 20 million copies)? 

Mainline pokemon's are more expensive because they start a brand new generation, it's not only a matter of graphics and manpower, it's about keeping the brand alive even with the bare minimum technological progress. Remakes doesn't need such effort, their main goal is to exploit the brand 

That's why I think Pokemon Legends may be their next iteration of secondary series after the mainline Pokemon, if it enjoy a good success enough to justify a sequel to be released I can see them fully dropping remakes to favour this new series. 

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
SKMBlake said:

Breath Of The Wild is running on the same console, so clearly not. It's just bad development

When Botw was first revealed there were a ton of people complaining it looked barren, empty, and not polished. Nintendo does magic in mere months of polishing work as has been proven over, and over, and over again. They aren't like most companies that require years to do polishing work. Both Splatoon 3 and Legends are at least 9-10 months away. I believe they will both look far better at launch.

Splatoon 3 just got a 2022 release date nothing else. That could be at June or September. So like 1 year. While Pokemon Arceus did have early 2022 which could be at March since Nintendo loves having a big game at March. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Marth said:

Funnily enough this whole outrage culture around Nintendos / Pokemons showcases actually helps them.

It drives engagement up and with that pushes the news further in the algorithms of the big websites which delivers the message "there is a new (enter Nintendo thing here) coming out" to more people.

Exactly. People will discuss, analyse, make theorys and argue all over social media. They did the right thing to show it early despite not looking polished at all.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Minor detail that most people seem to have missed: The Diamond and Pearl remakes are not developed by Gamefreak, but by Ilca. From what I can gather from a quick Google search, Ilca has some smaller (mobile) games and apps to their name, and they assisted in the making of visuals and cinematics for several high-profile games like Nier:Automata, Dragon Quest XI and Code Vein, but this will be their first big game where they are in charge. It could be a fresh wind that will give the remakes a flair we can't expect from Gamefreak, or it could be a complete disaster since they are unexperienced with working on games of this scale. Only time will tell, I suppose...

I was disappointed in the way the Diamond and Pearl remakes look, but I'm sure I would still enjoy it regardless. Pokemon Legends Arceus looks cool. The only concern I have about it is its performance. I'm sure it'll be more optimized by the time the game's out next year, but we'll see what happens with it.

Last edited by Mr.GameCrazy - on 27 February 2021

I guarantee you these D/P remakes will be inferior to the originals in every way. Just buy D/P or Platinum on the DS. These remakes are not worth picking up.

Poke'mon Legends on the other hand has me pretty hyped. I forgot that Gamefreak moved their offices to the main Nintendo building. So they may be getting some help polishing this one by mainline Nintendo. If Nintendo EAD or Monolithsoft is helping with Legends, and if they delay it to winter 2022 it could wind up being polished to perfection!

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 27 February 2021