By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's the most tense level you have played in a game.

Ravenholm in Half-Life 2, the music, atmosphere, level design, and SFX are all world-class. Also, any underground level in STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl would count towards the tensest, as well as many of the spectacular set-pieces of the Uncharted series.

Around the Network
Alby_da_Wolf said:
m0ney said:

Shalebridge Cradle in Thief 3.

Yes, the top for me too.
There are other games with tense or horror levels, but while they can have more explicit horror level, they can't reach the Cradle for tension.
The Bonehoard in Thief 1 is scary, but less tense, you see immediately the dangers, and you can find some relatively safe places too.
The Halls of the Blind in Diablo 1 are scary and tense, but they are too small and the quest is quick and not too hard, darkness apart.
Scary levels abound in Tomb Raider 2, but they are more adrenalinic and almost splatter, but far less tense.

The feeling of insecurity was on point, especially when you had to pick locks lol There was another point that scared me to death - near the end of the game when the fat witch appeared and ordered her golems to kill Garrett in very creepy voice. I hate being frightened so I avoid horror games, but I had to make an exception for Thief 3.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Every damn level of Crash Bandicoot 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

The third form of the final boss in Ninja Gaiden. The other two forms were difficult enough, why was a third one necessary? The fear of having to start all over AGAIN probably shaved years off of my life.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Well, there are many, but the last one that truly stood out for me was the rat King in TLoU2. Man, that was one perfectly designed boss encounter! But I love some of the other choices people wrote: Alien Isolation, RE7, RE4, Zombie U... you peeps have some fine taste in games :D

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

Zombi U in general, whenever you recently died and your backpack is still out there in the while.

Resident Evil 7's intro, before I realized that the consequence for dying really wasn't that dire.

Punch Out!!! in Mac's last stand when you have two losses.

The first time I beat the Elite Four in Pokemon Blue where I was down to my Blastoise, and he was down to struggle.

Honestly I could just list off a whole bunch of areas from the Soulsborne games lol

Another one; Fenrir's lair in Hellblade where you had run frantically between pockets of light, knowing you were dead if you stayed too long in the dark. The visual and sound effects used to indicate he was closing in you really solidified the tension.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.