By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why are Nintendo Switch sales peaking much later than other Nintendo consoles?

What made Animal Crossing New Horizons such a gargantuan system seller was that it opened up the system to whole new demographics; up to this point Switch was geared first and foremost for the traditional gamer, with a few asides like Ring Fit and LABO for the expanded audience.

AC suddenly made the Switch an appealing product to people who otherwise wouldn't have bought one; primarily women who aren't traditional gamers, of which they are millions upon millions.

In the same way as Wii Sports and Wii Fit made the Wii desirable to a whole new world of consumers, New Horizons did the same for the Switch.

Around the Network

I think games like Miitopia and Story of Seasons will profit of Animal Crossing's success while themselves not being systemsellers.

Shadow1980 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

This explanation is poor.  Why?  Because it doesn't provide an alternative.  All you are doing is denying what myself and others are saying.  You are not providing a better alternative, nor are you even trying to do so.

You said, "And no individual game, nor any particular lineup of notable games released over a brief period of time, has ever caused an increase in baseline sales lasting for months on end. It. Just. Doesn't. Happen."  What does cause an increase in baseline sales?  Do you have an explanation?  Before a console peaks it is very common to see YoY growth even when there is no price cut, hardware revision, pandemic, or major release corresponding to a particular week or month.  If you are so convinced that software does not increase baseline sales, then what does?

Easy. Price cuts and new hardware models.

We see it time and time again: a system gets a big price cut or has a major hardware revision, and its sales experience a period of protracted sales growth. While not all price cuts or hardware revisions have the same effects on sales, they are the only thing absolutely proven to cause sales growth for a period of many months. Meanwhile, software seems to have only a short-term impact on sales growth. Over and over and over and over again, we see individual games boosting hardware sales for a month or two at most (Splatoon in Japan being the sole confirmed outlier to this). A single game, or even several games released closely together, has never had anywhere close to the impact that big price cuts have had.

Sometimes a system does experience periods of growth in the absence of a price cut or hardware revision, but such growth has never been conclusively tied to the release of any one or several games.

People here have shown you graphs proving that certain games do raise the baseline of consoles and you just conveniently ignored them. Most systems got their first price cut after their peak. The Switch never got one. I bought my Switch in 2018 to play BotW, more than a year after the games release and the game was by far the number one reason I got a Switch. Not because there was a price cut. It's not like in Japan in 2020 right after the release of ACNH when sales went down again after the huge spike, they stayed at a way higher baseline to this day. It's not like the Switch sold more every year without getting a price cut, but more games, that have unprecedented legs.

Why would any system sell more in it's second year than in it's first year when it didn't get a price cut yet? A systems sales graphs don't only consist of spikes with every big release and then immediate drops to exactly the same number it sold the week before the games release and no growth from there until the eventual next spike.

The evidence for single games raising the baseline of a consoles sales is any statistical hardware sales graph of any console ever. Any not completely heavily frontloaded system seller leads to people buying the system even months later to play said game.

Tell me, for what game did people buy a Switch in January 2021 or the first half of February? That time period was massively up from last year without any major release. That means the baseline is higher. Why? Maybe evergreens? No? What then?

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 25 February 2021

Hynad said:

....Now that Nintendo’s dedicated handhelds are no more, in the current landscape, having a hybrid console makes both consumer types get the only Nintendo system available...

Even though it's $100 cheaper, the original model continues to outsell the Switch Lite. For the first time in history, Nintendo's dedicated handheld is getting crushed by the competition.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Hahaha.  I love that.

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
Kakadu18 said:

People here have shown you graphs proving that certain games do raise the baseline of consoles and you just conveniently ignored them. Most systems got their first price cut after their peak. The Switch never got one. I bought my Switch in 2018 to play BotW, more than a year after the games release and the game was by far the number one reason I got a Switch. Not because there was a price cut. It's not like in Japan in 2020 right after the release of ACNH when sales went down again after the huge spike, they stayed at a way higher baseline to this day. It's not like the Switch sold more every year without getting a price cut, but more games, that have unprecedented legs.

Why would any system sell more in it's second year than in it's first year when it didn't get a price cut yet? A systems sales graphs don't only consist of spikes with every big release and then immediate drops to exactly the same number it sold the week before the games release and no growth from there until the eventual next spike.

The evidence for single games raising the baseline of a consoles sales is any statistical hardware sales graph of any console ever. Any not completely heavily frontloaded system seller leads to people buying the system even months later to play said game.

Tell me, for what game did people buy a Switch in January 2021 or the first half of February? That time period was massively up from last year without any major release. That means the baseline is higher. Why? Maybe evergreens? No? What then?

I ignored nothing. In fact, if you actually read my post you'd see that I addressed them. I pointed out that the graphs were based on VGC data, which may be good if you're looking for a ballpark estimate, but which often has considerable margins of error when compared to "official" sales trackers, at least for monthly/weekly sales (which is why it's widely considered to not be a sufficiently reliable data source). When looking at NPD and Media Create data, that supposed long-term Mario Kart 8 spike for the Wii U that Mnemeth tried to point out doesn't actually exist in the U.S. or Japan. It may or may not exist in Europe, but there's no way to confirm it as there is no publicly available data from official trackers that's granular enough to be of any use.

As for 2021, we haven't gotten NPD numbers yet, but if the Switch is still carrying momentum from last year in the U.S., well, the obvious answer is that demand for consoles is still elevated because of the pandemic, plus there was a $600 stimulus check that most people got. In Japan there was some big gains, and it seems that the culprit was the state of emergency declared in January. The pandemic is still the primary driver of increased demand at this point. People's spending habits have not returned to pre-pandemic levels.

Yeah sure. Only a pandemic or a price cut can lead to a permanent increase in sales. Nothing else. People don't buy consoles for games. They buy consoles because that's what you do in a pandemic and everything that gets a price cut has to be bought solely because of that, there's no other reason.

No price cut, no purchase!

For real, why does it feel like you're just not listening?

Yes, the reasons you named all partially contribute to higher sales, but they are not the sole reason for any console selling better over time.

I won't be answering you anymore, I'm done with your stubbornness, thank you. Bye.

Because the Line up is pretty solide if u never owned a Wii U, unlike other Nintendoconsoles which got wat more draughts. Nintendo banked really hard on that in 2020 and probably will do do so in 2021, the first two remasters (3D world and Skyward Sword) are already announced/released. Both Will sell more than 10 million.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Shadow1980 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

This explanation is poor.  Why?  Because it doesn't provide an alternative.  All you are doing is denying what myself and others are saying.  You are not providing a better alternative, nor are you even trying to do so.

You said, "And no individual game, nor any particular lineup of notable games released over a brief period of time, has ever caused an increase in baseline sales lasting for months on end. It. Just. Doesn't. Happen."  What does cause an increase in baseline sales?  Do you have an explanation?  Before a console peaks it is very common to see YoY growth even when there is no price cut, hardware revision, pandemic, or major release corresponding to a particular week or month.  If you are so convinced that software does not increase baseline sales, then what does?

Easy. Price cuts and new hardware models.

We see it time and time again: a system gets a big price cut or has a major hardware revision, and its sales experience a period of protracted sales growth. While not all price cuts or hardware revisions have the same effects on sales, they are the only thing absolutely proven to cause sales growth for a period of many months. Meanwhile, software seems to have only a short-term impact on sales growth. Over and over and over and over again, we see individual games boosting hardware sales for a month or two at most (Splatoon in Japan being the sole confirmed outlier to this). A single game, or even several games released closely together, has never had anywhere close to the impact that big price cuts have had.

Sometimes a system does experience periods of growth in the absence of a price cut or hardware revision, but such growth has never been conclusively tied to the release of any one or several games.

Way to dodge the question. 

I'm going to say it again.  None of your explanations are any good.  You have to provide an alternative.  It is not good enough to say that software doesn't boost hardware, unless you have another explanation (which you don't).  Systems commonly get an increase in baseline sales in their early years even without a price cut or hardware revision.  If this increase doesn't come from software then you need to provide another explanation.

To quote Sherlock Holmes:
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

In some cases, software is the only possible explanation for baseline sales growth.  Otherwise, you would be able to provide another one.

Shadow1980 said:

I don't deal with assertions. I only deal with facts. If someone can find somewhere in sales data from official trackers (NPD, Media Create, Famitsu, GfK/Chart Track, etc.) where a game (or several closely-released games) causes an obvious long-term increase in sales, well, I'm all ears. But nobody had yet to prove it. There's more than sufficient proof that price cuts and new models cause long-term sales growth. The only other thing that has clearly caused significant growth for a period of many months was a pandemic that forced people to change their spending habits, including spending more on video games. Meanwhile, in digging through generations worth of sales data, the only example I could find of a single game being the only plausible cause of sales growth lasting more than two months was one game on a poorly-selling system, and it only had an impact in one country for maybe three months instead of two.

All I ask is for some proof. Real proof. Specific data points. If all you have is assertions, then by all means don't engage with me any further, because that's all I have to say to you on the matter myself.

Is Kinect not given credit for the late-gen boost to X360 sales?

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

When the next generation comes, watch the Switch's sales be dismissed as a "fluke" just like the Wii.

Nintendo being successful without a disclaimer goes against the narrative.