By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why are Nintendo Switch sales peaking much later than other Nintendo consoles?

Switch has yet to receive a price cut for the base model and has only had one revision as yet; both could substantially boost sales, but for the moment they're still struggling just to meet demand for the full price launch model. It also has tons of heavy hitting software still to come.

I struggle to think of another system that still had this many cards still to play as of it's 4th birthday. We may not even have seen its peak yet.

Around the Network

The pandemic is helping.  It's also the fact that it's also their handheld and their handhelds have historically peaked later on. 

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

Switch has yet to receive a price cut for the base model and has only had one revision as yet; both could substantially boost sales, but for the moment they're still struggling just to meet demand for the full price launch model. It also has tons of heavy hitting software still to come.

I struggle to think of another system that still had this many cards still to play as of it's 4th birthday. We may not even have seen its peak yet.

It's possible that we have yet to see the peak, although last year's COVID boost makes that a high hurdle. Without COVID, 2020 would have been bigger than 2019, but not by quite as much; in that case, 2021 could have easily been bigger than 2020.

Rather than the peak though, the more interesting thing is the duration of Switch's sales plateau. I'm sure there are a lot of people who think that 2021 will be Switch's last good year, but given that Nintendo still has the obvious options for price cuts and revisions, I expect another three years above 20m units each.

What would make things really interesting is if Nintendo's revision this year is a Pro-like upgrade rather than a DSi-like upgrade. In that case, Switch wouldn't have a problem to last well into 2025 before a successor needs to be released. An even more curious scenario is if Switch became an iterative platform, meaning a more up-to-date version every four years; however, breaking out of the cyclical console business is a tough ask and we'll have to see how things develop in the coming years. Perhaps Nintendo will be the first company who can pull this off, and if that happened, Switch wouldn't only become the best-selling console of all-time, but likely go well beyond the 200m mark.

The more conservative expectation is that Switch will need to be replaced in 2025, so the chance to become the best-selling console of all-time is good, but not guaranteed yet. Unlike other goals, like beating the PS4's lifetime sales which is merely a question of when at this point.

Not to mention a killer app with nuclear explosive like power,  New Hosrizons in this case, tends to come around only once a decade. What are the chances Switch can get another game like that?

.....by my conjectured data, 1 in 10!

In all seriousness, it would need a strong lineup this year along the lines and effectiveness of Touch Generations in the DS era to stack up on 2020. (Is stack up a thing? Or did I just invent an idiom?).

Last edited by Jumpin - on 03 March 2021

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Shadow1980 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Shadow1980, thank you for this thoughtful post.  I want you to know, for the record, that I don't think you are 100% wrong.  Especially, if we focus the discussion back toward Switch sales, I think you have stumbled onto something that most others have missed.  For the record, I think both Animal Crossing and COVID had boosted Switch sales in 2020, but I don't think either one is the actually the biggest cause.  There is actually another sales factor going on that is not being accounted for.  The console market is actually going through a transition/transformation period that the PC market already went through.

If you go back 20-30 years, there were consumers buying laptop computers, but desktop computers were much more common.  Today laptops are more common among typical consumers and smartphones are even more popular than laptops.  (Although businesses tend to prefer desktop computers still.)  If a person wants a really powerful computer for the best price, then desktop is still the way to go, so why do so many more people use laptops then?  People tend to prefer the convenience of laptops, and you can often get one really cheaply if you are willing to get something really low powered.  Of course, smartphones are even more convenient and can get even cheaper than that, which is why they are even more popular.    

This sort of phenomenon is described in books like The Innovator's Solution.  The market as a whole often chooses a product that, on the surface, appears worse.  In reality they are sacrificing raw functionality for improvements to reliability, convenience or price.  This especially happens when the product with lower functionality gets "good enough".  Laptops are still not as powerful as desktops, even today, but at a certain point most consumers decided that laptops were "powerful enough" and laptops encroached upon the desktop market.  Many customers switched over to laptops and now laptops are more common outside of a business setting.  The Innovator's Solution even describes the math behind this.  The rate that the new market encroaches upon the old one can be described by an "S-curve", i.e. a logistic function.  (The author uses the term S-curve, but the math term is actually logistic function.)  It looks like an exponential function at first, but once the curve gets past the half way point, growth slows and eventually levels off into an "S" shape.

So, if we bring all of this back to video games, then handheld and home consoles markets would be analogous to the laptop and desktop markets, respectively.  At a certain point handheld systems should get "good enough" and encroach upon the home console market.  If you look at the handheld market closely enough, then it should also be obvious when this happens: with the Switch.  For the past two handheld generations, Nintendo has gone a different route with a 2-screen handheld system.  They have kept the power levels down and tried to focus on games (like touchscreen games) that couldn't be played on a home system.  All of this delayed the inevitable encroachment.  But with the Switch, the power level of their handheld system shot way up compared to the 3DS, and they even included a dock so that it was easy to play the system on a TV.  Nintendo is intentionally trying to encroach upon the home market. They don't just want former Wii U customers either.  They are going for Playstation and XBox customers.

If this is true, then what should the data look like?  It should show that Nintendo is getting a bunch of extra customers that they didn't have on the 3DS or Wii U.  At the end of the Switch's life we should see "extra" customers added to the Switch's install base like an S-curve.  Since we are currently only about half way into the Switch's life, then this surplus is going to look like exponential growth at this point.  And in fact, this is exactly we we do see.  Look at the gap chart (the first chart) whenever trunkswd compares Switch vs. 3DS + Wii U.  For both worldwide and the US, these curves strongly resemble exponential growth.
https://www.vgchartz.com/article/447667/switch-vs-3ds-and-wii-u-in-the-us-sales-comparison-january-2021/
https://www.vgchartz.com/article/447572/switch-vs-3ds-and-wii-u-sales-comparison-january-2021/

The Switch is really a handheld system that is also encroaching upon the home console market.  That is the biggest factor causing the spike in Switch sales.  They are taking future sales away from PS5 and X|S.  It's not obvious now, because Switch launched significantly ahead of the other systems.  Give it a few years though.  It took a few years for Switch sales to really take off, and it will take a few years before it's obvious that the other systems are going to underperform.  Switch is getting its sales growth by taking sales away from PS5 and X|S.  The handheld market is encroaching upon the home console market, just like the laptop PC market already encroached upon the desktop PC market.

I don't necessarily think the Switch is competing directly with PS & Xbox. Its release had no impact on sales of the PS4 & XBO. Also, while it's too early to say for sure what the PS5 & XBS are going to do, in the U.S., at least, the market for "conventional" consoles has been relatively stable, with combined PS+Xbox sales remaining relatively flat. Granted, the Switch marks a substantial leap in power from the 3DS, but it is far less powerful than the base PS4 & XBO were. That power gap manifests itself in the form of less impressive third-party support, at least when it comes to big-budget titles. Most of the big AAA third-party experiences, the lifeblood of PS & Xbox, are absent on the Switch.

The relatively few ports of multiplat AAA Gen 8 titles the Switch did get (e.g., Doom 2016 & Eternal, Wolfenstein II, The Witcher III, Mortal Kombat 11, Dragon Quest XI) almost all came well after their PS & Xbox releases, and performed substantially worse on the Switch, both technically and commercially (none of them broke a million). There have been a fair number of bespoke third-party Switch titles, but most of them aren't exactly lighting up the charts. Monster Hunter Rise will be one big exception (esp. in Japan where it's probably the #1 third-party franchise at the moment), the new Momotaro Densetsu has done well in Japan, the Switch ports of Minecraft and Among Us have apparently done decently, and Octopath Traveler sold at least two million copies, but those are the only confirmed multi-million sellers on the system made by a third-party (and that aren't Nintendo-themed, like Hyrule Warriors or Mario + Rabbids).

By and large, most people still buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games. I don't see that changing in the immediate future. Third parties will still put their biggest and best games on PS & Xbox, and we're going to be unlikely to see Switch ports of recurring titles like Call of Duty, Battlefield, Madden, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Final Fantasy, GTA, and others. Even if Nintendo makes a Switch 2, its small form factor will almost certainly mean a significant power gap between itself and the PS5 & XBS, which will impact the kind of third-party support it gets.

Aside from that, your point about innovation is a good one. After struggling for two generations straight, Nintendo tried a different strategy with the Wii and it paid off. They went with a low-power, low-price system that focused on motion controls, which had never really been done right until the Wii Remote. The marketing for the system was brilliant. And it's entirely possible that, in addition to improved stock, its upward trajectory in sales could have been due to increasing numbers of casuals/non-gamers buying the system. They tried to do the same "low-power but innovative controller" approach with the Wii U but totally flubbed it.

On the handheld side, they innovated with the DS, which sold far better than the GBA; even in the U.S. where the GBA dramatically over-performed, the DS still sold nearly 48% more units than the GBA. While hardware revisions and special edition hardware releases can account for most of the DS's growth over time in the U.S., it can't account for all of it, and software doesn't appear to be a factor, so it could have been another instance of increased interest over time from casuals/non-gamers (games like Nintendogs and Brain Age doing exceptionally well could be interpreted as confirmation of this hypothesis). Nintendo tried the dual-screen thing again with the 3DS, but the only thing new they had to offer was glasses-free 3D, plus the system was overpriced at launch for a Nintendo handheld. While the 3DS didn't flop like the Wii U did (76 million is a solid total), it didn't perform nearly as well as the DS despite strong software support. Could the lack of innovation combined with other factors like pricing have resulted in Nintendo losing a lot of existing customers?

Now we have the Switch. Innovative? No doubt. Significant and growing periphery demographic? Check. That's why I suggested that increased interest over time could explain the growth we've seen. An increase in interest from lapsed gamers and non-gamers/casuals could easily explain the growth we've seen (anecdotally, and friend of mine was a lapsed gamer, having lost interest in consoles back in 2013, but he bought a Switch back in like late 2019 and it's the only console he uses now). People being cooped up during the pandemic and with some extra money to burn clearly was why the Switch grew as much as it did in 2020, but obviously not all of that was just from "traditional" gamers. With less traction among lapsed gamers and non-gamers/casuals, the Switch may have seen significantly lower, though still very large, YoY increases in 2020 (I still maintain that without the pandemic, the Switch would have been at best slightly up in 2020, but even slight growth, had it not been fully explicable from a 1-2 month boost from AC, could have still lent credence to the idea of increased interest from periphery demos). If increased interest among periphery demographics has been a big driver of long-term sales growth, then the interest has been more general, and not because people were suddenly flocking to the system for one or two particular titles in specific. While I do think the overall size of periphery demos is often over-inflated by many (I never believed non-gamers were the majority of Wii sales, for instance), it's clear that they have been quite important for Nintendo over the past 15 years.

And that's all I have to say about that for now. Sorry if this post came across as a bit ramble-y, but it's late and I'm way past my bedtime.

Is there any source that says those 3rd party multiplats didn't sell 1 Million on Switch or sold substantially worse? Cause I think a couple of the multiplats you mentioned may have hit over 1 Million sold. Witcher 3 in the last shipment report sold 700,000 units on Switch as of December 2019 and the game at that time been out for Switch for only 2 months. Its been over a year since that last update so I feel like it'll be safe to assume the Witcher 3 on Switch sold around or over 1Million during that year time especially since the game's interest became revitalized after the Netflix series release in late 2019 where Witcher 3 sales skyrocketed on Steam, Witcher 3 also got price cuts and sales in 2020 and the CEO of CD PROJEKT Red said he was very happy with how the Witcher 3 sold on Switch. I think its safe to say it did sell 1Million on Switch.

I also think MK11 may have sold 1 Million on Switch, in its release month it was the #1 selling Switch game in the U.S in April 2019, even beating out Nintendo's 1st party titles that month. Also it released the same day as other platforms so it wasn't at a disadvantage like other ports and I've been seeing MK11 on the top bestselling games list on the Eshop alot. I wouldn't be surprised if that game has sold over a million on Switch.

Also, Dragon Quest is dominant in Japan where Switch is the dominant platform there, if anything ill assume the Switch version is the bestselling one.

1. More casual players getting interested in the console due to the release of games like the first non-remake Pokemon game and Animal Crossing in late 2019/early 2020, and the overall libray growing with consistent 1st party and 3rd party releases which means more games that could make people want to get the console,
2. The pandemic (though it could be argued that it still would have peaked in 2020 or later even without the pandemic)
3. The hybrid concept taking a little bit of time to take off.

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
javi741 said:

Is there any source that says those 3rd party multiplats didn't sell 1 Million on Switch or sold substantially worse? Cause I think a couple of the multiplats you mentioned may have hit over 1 Million sold. Witcher 3 in the last shipment report sold 700,000 units on Switch as of December 2019 and the game at that time been out for Switch for only 2 months. Its been over a year since that last update so I feel like it'll be safe to assume the Witcher 3 on Switch sold around or over 1Million during that year time especially since the game's interest became revitalized after the Netflix series release in late 2019 where Witcher 3 sales skyrocketed on Steam, Witcher 3 also got price cuts and sales in 2020 and the CEO of CD PROJEKT Red said he was very happy with how the Witcher 3 sold on Switch. I think its safe to say it did sell 1Million on Switch.

I also think MK11 may have sold 1 Million on Switch, in its release month it was the #1 selling Switch game in the U.S in April 2019, even beating out Nintendo's 1st party titles that month. Also it released the same day as other platforms so it wasn't at a disadvantage like other ports and I've been seeing MK11 on the top bestselling games list on the Eshop alot. I wouldn't be surprised if that game has sold over a million on Switch.

Also, Dragon Quest is dominant in Japan where Switch is the dominant platform there, if anything ill assume the Switch version is the bestselling one.

I used this as my source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_Switch_video_games

And I specifically said "multi-million." The minimum required to be a multi-million seller is by definition at least 2 million.

According to this article, the Switch version of The Witcher 3 was only 11% of the ~6M copies of the game sold in 2019, which amounts to 660k copies (the PS4 & XBO versions sold well over 2M copies combined in 2019; the PS4 version alone ~136% more copies than the Switch version despite that version being in its fifth year). It's probably close to 1M now, maybe a bit over, but I can't find anything to confirm it reached 2M, and CDPR hasn't given an update to include 2020 sales.

The most recent update for MK11 just gave a total lifetime tally of 8M copies. There was no breakdown by platform.

Here are the most recent LTD sales figures by platform (retail only) I can find for Dragon Quest XI, based on Famitsu data:

3DS: 1,772,911
PS4: 1,413,409 (original + Definitive Edition)
NSW: 621,801

With digital, it's possible that the Switch version could be close to or a bit above 1M. Still, its sales at retail are less than half the PS4 version and only a bit over one-third that of the 3DS version. First week sales were also significantly lower on the Switch, with only 303k copies for the Switch version, compared to 1130k for the 3DS version and 950k for the PS4 version.

The best we can tell, only a handful of third-party games on the Switch have become multi-million sellers, and the Switch versions of multiplatform titles have performed significantly worse than the PS4 & XBO versions. First-party games are the lifeblood Nintendo platforms. It's been that way since the N64. The Top 30 Nintendo games on the Switch amount to 55% of all software sold on the system to date, and of those, the Top 5 alone make up nearly a quarter of all Switch game sales. Sony and MS would kill to have attach rates that good for their first-party titles, but PS & XBO don't depend on first-party titles to nearly the degree Nintendo systems do. Those systems are where most people go to play third-party games.

Worst analysis an ever see. 

Lack of context. Late port and the must sell better? Based of what?

No wonder everything doesn't agree with you. You feed data, but normally, don't see the context and historical background.

The only example with you have ( same launch window) and doesn't have numbers. Then you assume, Switch is the worst selling. Based on what?

The Dragon Quest fiasco, the 3ds low-end port sells more in Japan. And helps to pay for the Ps4 version. It's a wrong move by Square this. 

Then whats you have? Square- Enix reports. 

Dragon Quest in the west, before switch, launched and after switch launched in the West.

And the growth between the two reports. 

And know the port S version for PS4 in Japan.

Switch version, low price version > Ps4 S version. 

Minecraft on Japan. Switch> Ps4, a late port on Switch. And one million-seller in your criteria. 

Innumerous 3rd party in Japan have Switch> Ps4.

The japan market is the better way to account, because of sales report every week.

About Witcher 3. https://mynintendonews.com/2020/09/05/the-witcher-3-for-switch-drove-a-70-increase-in-half-year-revenue-for-cd-projekt-red-in-2020/

Last edited by Agente42 - on 03 March 2021

Shadow1980 said:
Agente42 said:

Worst analysis an ever see. 

Lack of context. Late port and the must sell better? Based of what?

No wonder everything doesn't agree with you. You feed data, but normally, don't see the context and historical background.

The only example with you have ( same launch window) and doesn't have numbers. Then you assume, Switch is the worst selling. Based on what?

The Dragon Quest fiasco, the 3ds low-end port sells more in Japan. And helps to pay for the Ps4 version. It's a wrong move by Square this. 

Then whats you have? Square- Enix reports. 

Dragon Quest in the west, before switch, launched and after switch launched in the West.

And the growth between the two reports. 

And know the port S version for PS4 in Japan.

Switch version, low price version > Ps4 S version. 

Minecraft on Japan. Switch> Ps4, a late port on Switch. And one million-seller in your criteria. 

Innumerous 3rd party in Japan have Switch> Ps4.

The japan market is the better way to account, because of sales report every week.

About Witcher 3. https://mynintendonews.com/2020/09/05/the-witcher-3-for-switch-drove-a-70-increase-in-half-year-revenue-for-cd-projekt-red-in-2020/

What are you going on about? I gave citations. I gave numbers. Is that not good enough? What more do you want? Are you trying to be difficult?

The Witcher 3 sales as of last update (end 2019) clearly show that the Switch port is underperforming globally. Did you even read the link I posted? Also, Famitsu data shows that the Switch version of the game sold less than 24k copies at retail during the entirety of 2019 in Japan. The PS4 version sold over 67k it's first week in Japan, and almost 196k lifetime. Relatively few Switch owners bothered with The Witcher 3. Also, the article you cited doesn't give any numbers beyond an overall increase in total revenue for CDPR as a whole, and a vague "excellent sales" (relative to what?) for the Switch version. I'll dig into CDPR's financials to see if I find anything more concrete, but until we get an actual update on the numbers and platform split, the data we do have shows that Switch version off to a much worse start than the PS4 & XBO versions, to the point where it got outsold by the PS4 version in just 2019.

MK11's sales split by platform are unknown. However, it's worth pointing out that we do have other indicators of performance, namely the NPD rankings, and those aren't exactly indicative of the Switch version performing on par with the other versions. MK11 was in the yearly Top 10 in 2019 for both the PS4 & XBO in the U.S., but not for the Switch.MK11 was the #5 game of 2019, yet the Switch port didn't even crack that system's Top 10. Of the Switch's Top 10, only the Top 5 made it into the overall Top 20 of the year (NSMBU was the #5 Switch game of 2019 in the U.S., but only the #20 game overall). If the Switch version of MK11 was counted separately, it wouldn't even come close to scratching the Top 20 of 2019. Also, MK11 dropped out of the Switch Top 10 after just two months, while it stayed in the PS4 & XBO Top 10s until August (and even made it back into the XBO Top 10 in December), which suggests weaker legs and possibly also weaker sales for the Switch version. All of this is clear evidence that the Switch version was outsold by the PS4 & XBO version in the U.S. (as for Europe, considering the PS4 was far more popular than the Switch is the PS4 version of MK11 was probably far more successful; and as for Japan, MK11 was banned there).

It's just a simple fact of the matter that third-party AAA titles thrive on PS & Xbox, but not so much on the Switch. Third parties typically don't have the Switch in mind when making their biggest games. Very few AAA third-party multiplatform titles made it to the Switch, and nearly all of those were belated ports that had to be downgraded. In cases where we know the sales of a particular big-budget multiplatform title that has a Switch version, the Switch version has sold less than other versions. And when we don't know the exact sales, when we look at other indicators of performance we see evidence that the Switch version sold the least. Switch owners are either getting those AAA titles for their PlayStations & Xboxes (if they have one or both) or are for the most part just not bothering with those games (if they don't have a PS or Xbox). Except for Minecraft and Among Us (not exactly AAA titles), the best-performing third-party games by far on the Switch are games made especially for that system, and those third-party Switch best-sellers aren't exactly numerous.

When people want to play the big AAA third-party games, they go to PlayStation & Xbox. They don't look to Nintendo systems for those sorts of experiences. They get Nintendo systems primarily to play Nintendo games. Is that really so hard to admit?

I have no horse in this race but I just want to point out, that staying in the Top 10 is harder on Switch than on XBO/PS4 since the Switch has a lot of evergreens that will stay in the Top 10 all-year round (Mario Kart, Smash, Pokémon, Ring Fit).

Signature goes here!