By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Monster Hunter Rise Thread

Come one, come all, to the latest installment in the Monster Hunter series, launching on the 26th of March on Nintendo Switch.

With a lot going on in the lead up to release, and this being a game that many of us will be playing for a long time, I thought it might be nice to have an official thread to discuss all things Monster Hunter Rise. Welcome, and please make yourselves at home!

Official Website:

https://www.monsterhunter.com/rise/us/

Latest News:

Version 3.0 out now, featuring Valstrax, Apex Zinogre, and new story content.

Capcom have also revealed a roadmap for some future updates:

Last edited by curl-6 - on 26 May 2021

Around the Network

Well, I can't say this thread will exactly pop off, but I'm all for it! Monster Hunter Rise has got to be my most hyped game since  Astral Chain  Devil May Cry 5, i'm super excited for the game and that last trailer was lit! Wish I didn't basically know the roster already though but oh well ... not like it's still not surprising seeing how these monsters turn out

Also I genuinely somehow didn't know about that digital event already. Was it just announced? Kudos!

You supplying drinks Curl?

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

mjk45 said:

You supplying drinks Curl?

Ask this guy. Legend has it he's descended from pirates!

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

So I'm about 1200 hours deep into MH4U, and outside of a fling with Breath of the Wild that lasted a couple of months last year, it's the only game I've consistently played in the past year and a half.

I obviously enjoy it, but there is a humongous aspect of Monster Hunter games I do not enjoy, and if it's still a thing in Rise, then you can count me out until the inevitable deep discount about a year after launch.

You want to know how I can pour 1200 hours into one game and STILL only be roughly 2/3rds into it's content? BS like this:

Killing the same monster OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER just to try to get that one blasted item to finish creating a weapon or armor set, then doing it again just to do it for the weapon or armor set, then again later on when you want to upgrade the weapon, then again when you get to High Rank, then again in G Rank. And if you use multiple weapons, then you have my prayers. Oh, and if you're a bow user like me, then you're even more screwed because you can't cut tails (although I hear that there is a special bow in MH World that gets around this, so hopefully this problem is fixed in MHR).

I also hear that MHW changed the weapon and armor creation system, so I'm eager to find out if these changes are coming to Rise, or if Capcom is going back to the traditional system. If it's the latter and I have to kill 46 Rathians before I finally luck out on a Ruby, then you guys can enjoy the game without me for a while.  I have literally hundreds of other games I own that I haven't even booted up yet because my OCD and lifestyle only lets me play one or two games at a time, and play them slowly. I'm not moving from one Monster Hunter to the next just to be subjected to the same bullshit.

I'd like to see Capcom retool the subquest system to reward actual skill as opposed to everything being random dumb luck. "Kill Deviljho in 15 minutes" = 50 percent chance of  a Deviljho Gem, 10 minutes = 75 percent. "Slay Dalamadur without healing during quest" =  strong chance of getting Skyblade Gem. Reward players for getting good at the game instead of rewarding random players that happened to be blessed by the RNG. Nothing is more frustrating than finishing a quest and having someone you're playing with telling you they got a Rath Ruby or Brach Gem he or she didn't even need, meanwhile you're wondering if your copy of the game is glitched or something because you've fought the thing 33 times in a row.

Rant over, thanks for letting me cry in your lap.

Around the Network
burninmylight said:

So I'm about 1200 hours deep into MH4U, and outside of a fling with Breath of the Wild that lasted a couple of months last year, it's the only game I've consistently played in the past year and a half.

I obviously enjoy it, but there is a humongous aspect of Monster Hunter games I do not enjoy, and if it's still a thing in Rise, then you can count me out until the inevitable deep discount about a year after launch.

You want to know how I can pour 1200 hours into one game and STILL only be roughly 2/3rds into it's content? BS like this:

Killing the same monster OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER just to try to get that one blasted item to finish creating a weapon or armor set, then doing it again just to do it for the weapon or armor set, then again later on when you want to upgrade the weapon, then again when you get to High Rank, then again in G Rank. And if you use multiple weapons, then you have my prayers. Oh, and if you're a bow user like me, then you're even more screwed because you can't cut tails (although I hear that there is a special bow in MH World that gets around this, so hopefully this problem is fixed in MHR).

I also hear that MHW changed the weapon and armor creation system, so I'm eager to find out if these changes are coming to Rise, or if Capcom is going back to the traditional system. If it's the latter and I have to kill 46 Rathians before I finally luck out on a Ruby, then you guys can enjoy the game without me for a while.  I have literally hundreds of other games I own that I haven't even booted up yet because my OCD and lifestyle only lets me play one or two games at a time, and play them slowly. I'm not moving from one Monster Hunter to the next just to be subjected to the same bullshit.

I'd like to see Capcom retool the subquest system to reward actual skill as opposed to everything being random dumb luck. "Kill Deviljho in 15 minutes" = 50 percent chance of  a Deviljho Gem, 10 minutes = 75 percent. "Slay Dalamadur without healing during quest" =  strong chance of getting Skyblade Gem. Reward players for getting good at the game instead of rewarding random players that happened to be blessed by the RNG. Nothing is more frustrating than finishing a quest and having someone you're playing with telling you they got a Rath Ruby or Brach Gem he or she didn't even need, meanwhile you're wondering if your copy of the game is glitched or something because you've fought the thing 33 times in a row.

Rant over, thanks for letting me cry in your lap.

They already confirmed that the armor skill system is basically World's, so the crafting system probably is too. In fact an interview already said they'd make crafting easier, but that is apparently possibly a mistranslation (?). 

The streamlining to the crafting system from what I understand though started as soon as Generations, and I only say "from what I understand" because I honestly don't remember personally, but in that game apparently the crafting system is based on rarity level not just a specific monster. So for example you can upgrade or create armor just by having enough types of a rarity (level 1 rarity, level  2 rarity, etc) regardless of the monster. The wording on the description makes it a bit confusing if this is true for weapons too, though, doesn't seem to be the case but weapons were never really a problem for me. 

Honestly probably the most hype thing about Rise to me is that, unlike World, there is going to be a lot more high tier monsters in the game. Not necessarily talking about elder dragons but like, just anything that actually presents more than a decent challenge. I think they've technically already revealed more than World by now? The only challenging monsters in World at launch was the four elder dragons and Bazelgeuse, whereas we already have Barioth, Tigrex, Magnamalo, Rajang, and the Elder Dragons yet to be revealed. Rakna-Kadakai (the spider), Almudron (mud weasel dragon), and Goss Harag (samurai ghost bear) also look like they might be somewhat high tier, especially Rakna. Plus the fact that...

Spoiler!
I saw the leaks and know there's a shit ton more returning high tiers to be revealed. 

Basically, whereas World created a lot of new monsters with most of them being low-tier and piss easy, it feels like Rise has a much more evenly proportioned amount of difficulty in it's new monsters, AND just a much bigger amount of returning monsters overall. Like World was 80-85% piss easy and it made the fights less memorable imo. 

Last edited by AngryLittleAlchemist - on 19 February 2021

They said in an interview that gear will require less materials to upgrade this time around to speed up the pace of getting new stuff.

Personally, the thing I'm most looking forward to is trying out new weapons I never really played like the Insect Glaive, Charge Blade, Bow, and Gunlance, as well as the Wirebug and Palamutes.

Also I freaking love the new mud dragon and the yeti bear, they're my favourites of the newcomers so far.

So how many of you are newcomers vs veterans, and for the latter what MH games got you started?

I buy a lot of games and put them into my backlog. Buying Bravely Default II and putting it into my backlog until I beat Bravely Second. Buying Ryza 2 and backlogging it until I finish the Arland series.

Rise though? I'll be playing this on day 1! It's my most anticipated game for the 1st half of 2021.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Honestly probably the most hype thing about Rise to me is that, unlike World, there is going to be a lot more high tier monsters in the game. Not necessarily talking about elder dragons but like, just anything that actually presents more than a decent challenge. I think they've technically already revealed more than World by now? The only challenging monsters in World at launch was the four elder dragons and Bazelgeuse, whereas we already have Barioth, Tigrex, Magnamalo, Rajang, and the Elder Dragons yet to be revealed. Rakna-Kadakai (the spider), Almudron (mud weasel dragon), and Goss Harag (samurai ghost bear) also look like they might be somewhat high tier, especially Rakna. Plus the fact that...

Spoiler!
I saw the leaks and know there's a shit ton more returning high tiers to be revealed. 

Basically, whereas World created a lot of new monsters with most of them being low-tier and piss easy, it feels like Rise has a much more evenly proportioned amount of difficulty in it's new monsters, AND just a much bigger amount of returning monsters overall. Like World was 80-85% piss easy and it made the fights less memorable imo. 

Yeah, in World you could just use flash bombs to stun flying monsters and wail on them. And a lot of the monsters in World were flyers. Flying Monsters were both annoying and easy. If you were melee and didn't bring flash bombs you had to wait for them to land. If you brought flash bombs they were easy to take out.

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 19 February 2021

I'm practically a newcomer. Several years ago I spent a couple dozen hours on Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for WiiU while the internet wasn't working. I enjoyed messing around with the gimmick of setting the WiiU Gamepad as a second screen for the UI while playing with the pro controller.
I've had Monster Hunter World for years but only started getting into it recently in anticipation for Rise.

Curious if anyone still plays Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. Always wanted to put more time into it.