By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - NASA's Perseverance Rover successfully lands on Mars

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-19/nasa-rover-perseverance-lands-on-mars/13170902

After a seven month space journey spanning almost half a billion kilometers, NASA's latest planetary mission has kicked off with a successful touchdown.

The vehicle will collect geological samples that for the first time will be brought back to Earth to be analysed for signs of ancient microscopic life.

It also carries a helicopter drone which, if it operates successfully, will perform our first powered flight on another planet.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 18 February 2021

Around the Network

Nice, FS2030 sorted! Get mapping :)

What if it landed then immediately fell over and could not be put upright. How would ya'll fell?

Ground control to Major Tom.

Nice. Is this the first time we'll actually be getting something back from Mars? I'd assume so. Looking forward to some day becoming an interplanetary species.

Around the Network
TallSilhouette said:

Nice. Is this the first time we'll actually be getting something back from Mars? I'd assume so. Looking forward to some day becoming an interplanetary species.

Yes, this will be the first time Martian samples will be returned to Earth. The process of getting them here is a multi-mission plan that will take several years, but yes.

Damn... I heard that it landed. Had no idea that it would involve a return trip with samples from the planet.

This is a pretty big step for us.

Did they want a medal for that or something?

If you require alcohol to have fun, then you have a problem

My name’s on Mars now.

So a couple months ago I got an email from Nasa, and I thought why would I get an email from Nasa, but it was a reminder that this probe would land then and there. Took me awhile to figure it out but then it dawned on me that years and years ago I registered my name to Nasa to include on a data disc for that probe, just for fun. Turns out about 11 million people did that, so now my and almost 11 million other people’s names are on a data disc stuck to a probe riding around on Mars.

Is Google Stadia working great on mars ?? Or is there any latency problem ?

Please support planet earth with ecosia and support me by visiting my website