By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Danial Ahmad - PS5 sold 4,5m by Dec 31st 2020. + XSX/S ~3,1-3,3m

The tweets:

47,4m users with PS Plus accounts.
PS4 only shipped abit over 1,4m this holiday quarter.

PS4 sell in is at 115,1m as of dec 31st.  (guessing thats when nrs are from)
PS5 shipping 4,5m+ as of dec 31st.

Throughts:
Not much really unexpected.
Though sell through of PS4's in this time is really low..... lower than I thought it would be (stock issues?).
Only 115,1m PS4's total sold though to consumers.
At its current rate, will it even hit 130m? before they stop production? I'm starting to have doubts (when I was pretty sure, it would years before)

Also selling more than 18m games in 3 months time is pretty neat.
Atleast people with PS4's are enjoying games.

*edit:  Xbox News:

Comment on retweeting this:

ZhugeEX says the takeway should instead be that XB1 shipped ~3,9m, and sold ~3m.
Not How much the series X/S did.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 03 February 2021

Around the Network

I read sony has the biggest revenue ever in gaming history, even when there selling the ps5 at a loss.
Really sad to see those ps4 sales it deserves more.
On the other hand, i cant even find a ps4 in stock anywhere

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

JRPGfan said:

Only 115,1m PS4's total sold though to consumers.
At its current rate, will it even hit 130m? before they stop production? I'm starting to have doubts (when I was pretty sure, it would years before)

The 115.1 mil is shipped (aka. sell-in) not sell through to consumers, so it's worse actually (though the difference is probably small at the moment)

And while there was a point were 130m seemed possible I think it has been clear for a while that that won't happen. Even 125m looks like a stretch at this point, since Sony are letting its shipments dwindle so rapidly, probably since they have their hands full with the PS5.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Considering the production issues across all cutting edge tech companies (AMD, Nvidia) mostly attributed to Covid, id say its pretty successful lauch quarter !, as its clear based on insane demand (and how popular scalping is) that they’re selling what they can produce 

My only issue is the Allocation of said shipments, they definitely should’ve delayed the PS5 launch in Japan to Feb 2021 (similar to PS4) while allocate the original shipments to US, EU

as for PS4, I honestly don’t think it’ll make it to 120M unless a price-cut/cheap disc-less model happens, its clear they want to sell you PS5 instead thanks to PS4 BC and a (rumored) possibility of A PS5 model equivalent of Series S

Ka-pi96 said:
xl-klaudkil said:

I read sony has the biggest revenue ever in gaming history, even when there selling the ps5 at a loss.
Really sad to see those ps4 sales it deserves more.
On the other hand, i cant even find a ps4 in stock anywhere

That doesn't make a difference.

Whether they're selling at $500 with a $100 loss, or $500 with a $200 profit, the revenue is still $500, the exact same either way.

True, but despite all of this, this year PlayStation saw an insane 3.33 Billions in profits alone despite being a Launch year for a new Hardware, which is unprecedented compared to every single Sony console launch year ever

Last edited by B6a6es - on 03 February 2021

Around the Network

I am fairly sure I debated with you before about PS4 not hitting 130m in one of Sony's quarterly threads. To be honest my prediction was about 120m and it is looking like a difficult task. So while I was fairly sure it wouldn't hit 130m before now I am definitely sure it won't.

Great numbers

The race is on

Seems like PS4 will be below 120mil. Switch has a chance to beat it.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Jranation said:

Seems like PS4 will be below 120mil. Switch has a chance to beat it.

Switch will definitely win. PS4 sales collapsed in 2020 while Switch sales skyrocketed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.