By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo now fully owns the Astral Chain IP

Tagged games:

As I have seen written somewhere else, it makes sense that this was the IP that Platinum had to give away in order to have full control over Wonderful 101.

I mean, Platinum could have sold off it's share of the IP to Nintendo, but given how well the game has sold so far, the first hypothesis makes more sense to me.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Astral Chain 2 confirmed 

My gut tells me the opposite. Platinum Games is cutting ties, that significantly lowers the opportunity for a sequel since no dev team is attached to it.

Presumably, Platinum didn't simply cut ties. No reason to do that with a franchise where the first game sold over a million. Nintendo must have given something in exchange, which they wouldn't have done if they had no intentions of doing anything with it.

Nautilus said:

As I have seen written somewhere else, it makes sense that this was the IP that Platinum had to give away in order to have full control over Wonderful 101.

I mean, Platinum could have sold off it's share of the IP to Nintendo, but given how well the game has sold so far, the first hypothesis makes more sense to me.

That's a really bad trade for Platinum, Astral Chain was much more successful than Wonderful 101. It's like swapping a ferrari for a hatchback.

There goes my hopes and dreams for a PC release. Still a great game though.

mZuzek said:
curl-6 said:

That's a really bad trade for Platinum, Astral Chain was much more successful than Wonderful 101. It's like swapping a ferrari for a hatchback.

I mean, Nintendo obviously was far more willing to let go of Wonderful 101 than Astral Chain for this reason, and I imagine Nintendo has a bit more money than Platinum.

The tencent cash injection and self publishing may have been a catalyst for them doing a Wonderful 101 and maybe some cash deal, with the thinking being that the 100% versus 50% ownership difference between W101 and Astral Chain plus them publishing W101 would offset some or most the sales difference, also Astral Chain may provide Platinum future income if they have secured a production deal for future Astral Chain games.

DISCLAIMER: I have a shonky track record but it's better than a certain analyst.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
PortisheadBiscuit said:

They should just buy Platinum Games

I respectfully disagree. 

They've done a lot of good work for Nintendo, but they've done more for multiplats and with a wider variety of games as well.

Im guessing the main characters will be added as spirits in Smash Ultimate at most. This franchise is dead now.

KLXVER said:

Im guessing the main characters will be added as spirits in Smash Ultimate at most. This franchise is dead now.

Nintendo buying the by the IP just to kill it after the first game in the IP sold millions is completely illogical so I disagree.

Dulfite said:
KLXVER said:

Nintendo buying the by the IP just to kill it after the first game in the IP sold millions is completely illogical so I disagree.

First time I hear it sold millions. Its a decent seller that needs a lot of work to make. It doesnt star Mario, Link or Pikachu, so its dead. Maybe if Platinum Games fail at their self publishing stuff, we get a sequel. I couldnt even begin to speculate on who else would make it. None of Nintendos own studios would be assigned that task. Thats for sure.

KLXVER said:
Dulfite said:

First time I hear it sold millions. Its a decent seller that needs a lot of work to make. It doesnt star Mario, Link or Pikachu, so its dead. Maybe if Platinum Games fail at their self publishing stuff, we get a sequel. I couldnt even begin to speculate on who else would make it. None of Nintendos own studios would be assigned that task. Thats for sure.

It sold a million, but there are dozens of studios out there, don't call it dead just yet. Even Platinum can still make a sequel. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first.