By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo now fully owns the Astral Chain IP

Tagged games:

Shikamo said:

Article

“It’s as it is written on the website: Astral Chain is their IP and as such there are limitations on how much we feel we should talk about.”

This sounds like a weird thing to say. I wonder what the actual question was?

Around the Network

Platinum Games just took an investment from Tencent to help push their own self publishing agenda. They're not being bought. It makes no sense for Nintendo to by PG anyway because PG doesnt really have anything. Their most popular IP's are owned by other Publishers ( Bayonetta and Nier) and everything else minus Astral Chain(the only other notable thing to come form them) has not been financial hits.

When a Developer is bought it's because they have a portfolio that will immediately increase the value of the buyer.

noname2200 said:
Shikamo said:

Article

“It’s as it is written on the website: Astral Chain is their IP and as such there are limitations on how much we feel we should talk about.”

Honestly, I dont know the exact question, but you can see the full article here.

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)
Shikamo said:
noname2200 said:

Honestly, I dont know the exact question, but you can see the full article here.

Thank you much! That answer, and the statement that followed it in the next sentence, come across as very stiff to me: I wonder what exactly happened, since to me it doesn't sound like Platinum was exactly thrilled. I might just be reading too much into it, though.

I do agree with the statement near the bottom of the article though: Kamiya's statute in the company is low until and unless he actually releases a game again.

(Just a joke: I'm aware that the man has been busy supporting other projects, e.g. Astral Chain).

mZuzek said:
Stuart23 said:

They already said that the game was intended to be a trilogy,

Dulfite said:

I mean they already said years ago they were thinking to make this a trilogy.

This isn't true, it was a mistranslation. They only said they had ideas/plans for sequels.

Either way, personally I'm not too happy about this news. On the one hand, it probably confirms an Astral Chain sequel eventually? Maybe not, cause nothing Nintendo does makes any sense, but anyways, a sequel was always likely to happen. The other hand bothers me more, and it's just that I'd much rather have Platinum owning the IP than Nintendo, because Nintendo makes... questionable decisions, to say the least. Hopefully Platinum continues to develop whatever new games come from this franchise, and also have the artistic freedom to do what they feel is right.

Oh shoot I had no idea it was a mistranslation! I've been assuming that was what they intended for a while now haha.

Around the Network
Metallox said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Astral Chain 2 confirmed 

I wouldn't be too quick to say that. Could be another Eternal Darkness, but I do hope they continue to work with the property. Astral Chain isn't the most wonderful game, but 1) it looks cool and 2) the combat is great. 

To be fair, is not like they bought the Eternal Darkness IP and then did nothing with it. They always owned the IP even before the game came out, and then did nothing with it after because the game sold like crap.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

IcaroRibeiro said:

Astral Chain 2 confirmed 

My gut tells me the opposite. Platinum Games is cutting ties, that significantly lowers the opportunity for a sequel since no dev team is attached to it.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Astral Chain 2 confirmed 

My gut tells me the opposite. Platinum Games is cutting ties, that significantly lowers the opportunity for a sequel since no dev team is attached to it.

Depends on how the negotiations went. If Nintendo put the bid for Platinum's half, then they definitely want something to do with the property. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Nice to see them adding even more variety to their portfolio of IPs

Last edited by Link_Nines.XBC - on 29 January 2021

Akira Howard for Smash Bros.
Only a matter of time now.