By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo now fully owns the Astral Chain IP

Tagged games:

curl-6 said:
Nautilus said:

As I have seen written somewhere else, it makes sense that this was the IP that Platinum had to give away in order to have full control over Wonderful 101.

I mean, Platinum could have sold off it's share of the IP to Nintendo, but given how well the game has sold so far, the first hypothesis makes more sense to me.

That's a really bad trade for Platinum, Astral Chain was much more successful than Wonderful 101. It's like swapping a ferrari for a hatchback.

I do agree, but this arrangement was probably done long before Astral Chain release.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
Dulfite said:

Nintendo buying the by the IP just to kill it after the first game in the IP sold millions is completely illogical so I disagree.

First time I hear it sold millions. Its a decent seller that needs a lot of work to make. It doesnt star Mario, Link or Pikachu, so its dead. Maybe if Platinum Games fail at their self publishing stuff, we get a sequel. I couldnt even begin to speculate on who else would make it. None of Nintendos own studios would be assigned that task. Thats for sure.

What kind of logic is this? Astral Chain sold more than 1 million in the first 6 months, making the second fastest selling Platinum game, just behind Nier Automata(Correct me if I'm wrong). It's probably around 1,5 million at this point in time.

And Platinum is probably the one to do a sequel. Just because they sold their share, it dosen't impede them from working on a sequel, much like Bayonetta 2 and 3. And even if they weren"t behind the sequel, Nintendo has more than enough talent to work it themselves.

Plus, why would Nintendo buy full ownership, just to stash the IP away?

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

KLXVER said:
Dulfite said:

Nintendo buying the by the IP just to kill it after the first game in the IP sold millions is completely illogical so I disagree.

First time I hear it sold millions. Its a decent seller that needs a lot of work to make. It doesnt star Mario, Link or Pikachu, so its dead. Maybe if Platinum Games fail at their self publishing stuff, we get a sequel. I couldnt even begin to speculate on who else would make it. None of Nintendos own studios would be assigned that task. Thats for sure.

So Splatoon, Arms, Pikmin, Ring Fit Adventure, Fitness Boxing, Animal Crossing, Xenoblade, 1-2 Switch,  Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Clubhouse Games, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, and more exclusives all sold poorly? These franchises are all dead too cause they sold around or more than Astral Chain?

Dulfite said:
KLXVER said:

So Splatoon, Arms, Pikmin, Ring Fit Adventure, Fitness Boxing, Animal Crossing, Xenoblade, 1-2 Switch,  Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Clubhouse Games, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, and more exclusives all sold poorly? These franchises are all dead too cause they sold around or more than Astral Chain?

I understand your point but...  why did you bring Animal Crossing, RFA and Splatoon? They sold many million copies even in their debut games 

Dulfite said:
KLXVER said:

I dont think you get my point. Im talking about the cost of a game. You cant just suddenly make a 2D Astral Chain for cheap and have fans be happy. It would take a lot of money, manpower and time to make a sequel to it. Most of the games you mentioned are not very expensive to make. Well except for Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, which yes, I also think is dead. At least for Nintendo paying for the exclusivity. If you want to keep the dream of Astral Chain 2 alive, then thats cool. I really liked the first game and would like a sequel as well, but Im not holding my breath. But as someone said in here, it is possible that PG will ask Nintendo to do a sequel. In that case it might happen. They just dont seem very keen on working on exclusives at the moment.

Edit: I guess Im being a bit too negative and overdramatic. Its just I dont feel like this franchise is a good fit for Nintendo. Like Eternal Darkness. Now that game didnt sell that well when it launched, but it has obviously gotten a big cult following. Nintendo could easily do something with that franchise, but they just dont have a team with that kind of experience. Same with Astral Chain. Its like they need PG to make it. Would be better if PG themselves got the rights to the francise I think. They would know what to do with it.

Last edited by KLXVER - on 30 January 2021

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
Dulfite said:

I dont think you get my point. Im talking about the cost of a game. You cant just suddenly make a 2D Astral Chain for cheap and have fans be happy. It would take a lot of money, manpower and time to make a sequel to it. Most of the games you mentioned are not very expensive to make. Well except for Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, which yes, I also think is dead. At least for Nintendo paying for the exclusivity. If you want to keep the dream of Astral Chain 2 alive, then thats cool. I really liked the first game and would like a sequel as well, but Im not holding my breath. But as someone said in here, it is possible that PG will ask Nintendo to do a sequel. In that case it might happen. They just dont seem very keen on working on exclusives at the moment.

Edit: I guess Im being a bit too negative and overdramatic. Its just I dont feel like this franchise is a good fit for Nintendo. Like Eternal Darkness. Now that game didnt sell that well when it launched, but it has obviously gotten a big cult following. Nintendo could easily do something with that franchise, but they just dont have a team with that kind of experience. Same with Astral Chain. Its like they need PG to make it. Would be better if PG themselves got the rights to the francise I think. They would know what to do with it.

Wtf? AsCh was in the works for fours before it was even revealed it went on to sell 1m on its debut more than what the likes of Xenoblade even managed LT for its first game now lets buy it to shelve it and never look back? Even the whole it doesn't fit them argument is just as bizarre as if companies aren't supposed to diversify or change for different eras.

Many games have also moved on from the original teams look at Devil May Cry, Tomb Raider etc... If PG don't do it someone else will.

twintail said:

I'm not really sure why Nintendo would need to do this, unless Platinum had the option of going multiplatform with the IP. I also doubt that any content from this game wouldn't have made it into other media (like Smash), because I doubt Platinum would disagree.

Clearly, Nintendo is not going to buy Platinum if they have gone through the process of securing this IP. So, I'm not really sure why there was any need for this. I mean, it's great I guess.

I'm sure Nintendo only did the deal because they own 50% not because of a need, most likely Platinum moving towards self publishing instigated the move to gain W101, and along the way it ended up involving them offloading their share of Astral Chain, most likely because part owning an IP with Nintendo who also own the publishing rights seemed out of step with their move away from contract work, so selling their share gave them one less complication to deal with why they embark on what they see as their future. 

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

The same people who think Astral Chain was a failure probably said the same thing to Arms.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Jranation said:

The same people who think Astral Chain was a failure probably said the same thing to Arms.

Its not a failure. Just decent by Nintendo standards.

KLXVER said:
Jranation said:

Its not a failure. Just decent by Nintendo standards.

If the sequel of AC and Arms sells close or more than the original then I can put them on the same tier as Xenoblade, Yoshi and Kirby games (Maybe DK and FE are also on the same tier) Which are all successful franchises. 

Pocky Lover Boy!