By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gave up on Dark Souls after my third attempt

This isn't a meme-y thread were I complain the difficulty, dying a lot is okay and I frankly think it's not too bad in that regard, it's just me wanting to make a rant and being unable to come to terms with the game, I just can't finish to like the way it is, and it all boils down to, mainly, how clunky the character controls, or, well, that's how I feel it. There is another thing which I should explain later. It also shall be said that this time I went as far as the Crystal Caves, significantly farther than my two previous attempts, and I'm not sure if it was near the end but it sure felt like it, it was starting to get crazy. 

So... The character. There isn't much to this annoyance, after creating a character for the third time, I was once again welcomed with a guy who walks awkwardly and feels like it weighs like one ton. I've discussed this with a friend and he tells me I'm crazy, and perhaps I am, but the game went on and I always told to myself: this isn't how this man should move like, and the sprint also just feels off. On top of that, the game is a collection of very narrow hallways (especially in the starting areas), and for me that just makes it way worse. I don't know, maybe other single-character games have spoiled me. I always wish the protagonist in Dark Souls felt as snappy as Link in Breath of the Wild, but I know it just can't, if the devs did that, the nice and elegant combat in this game falls apart. 

Second, is that the game is just weird as hell. It has a very simple premise to hold onto, but once you get out of the Undead Asylum, it's all full of strange shit, with characters speaking in a very sinister way and a general sense of misuderstanding. Why am I doing this? Why am I going this way? Only hell knows, you're just there for the sake of the challenge, I think, it's not something uncommon in many games, but here the sentiment never fades away. Even the game tips across the world are cyptic to no end. It's heavy, and I can't get it out of my head. To make up for it, I read a lot of Dark Souls lore after my second try, but it doesn't feel satisfying to know it, it's hard to explain, it always feels like a lot is missing, and that's kinda the point. It's obvious that a lot of the stuff in Dark Souls is meant to be up for interpretation, but it goes without saying I'm not too much of a fan of that approach, at least not in this case.

Heavy is also the overall atmosphere of the game, and it's curious, because I like to write about locations and characters torn apart by the ravages of time and pending doomsdays, but Dark Souls might explain why is so hard to get back to them. 

It's a shame, because I think this game is nothing sure but spectacular, there's a lot to it and it's plain obvious the devs made everything with care and passion, it feels like a quintessential video game in every sense of the word. I adore its use of the dark fantasy, I don't think a lot of games can say they come close to it. Other From Software games look just as awesome, they spark something in me just by seeing them, it's like I'm kinda pushed to say: "these games are definitely good, real good", without having even played any of them. 

I'm sorry, Dark Souls, I failed you. End of the rant, thanks for your attention if you read. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network

Purists say the clunkyness is what makes it great, idiots if you ask me

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

You should play Nioh and Nioh 2. Much better games than Dark Souls. While the stories aren't masterpieces by any means, there is definitely a coherent plot. Movement feels good too, and everything just feels much more stylish compared with the combat in Dark Souls.

Dark Souls 3 is good too, probably my favorite in the original Souls series. But you might not like the lack of plot again.

Darksouls is a game I would like to get into but I feel overwhelmed by it. I don't really understand the combat, strategies, or even if I'm going to right way, etc. If I play it, I will likely be watching a playthrough.

I actually did the for BotW and it made the game much more enjoyable. I felt completely lost and the playthrough gave me guidance as well as good tips.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

To me, the souls games are great, but are too time consuming and effort requiring. Things i don't have much of these days...so sadly, i played demons, dark 1 & 2 and abandoned midway bloodborne. Might come back some day, but...

Around the Network

Not my style of games. There is one thing about hard games, than there is cheap. Many times i get knocked off a ledge due to an enemy cheaply waiting for you around the corner and the only way to know he is their is trail and era. Plus to get past hard areas is typical rince and repeat grinding to level your character. I dunno, i own all the Souls games and after awhile i am just "meh" with them. They are visually nice but it takes more than visuals to get my attention.

Out of curiousity, what kind of equipment did you use? While the gameplay will always feel a bit clunky unfortunately, your character's equip load makes a big difference in how well it controls.

Beforhand I think Demon't Souls and Dark Souls are excellent games, but at the same time I don't like very much From Software later games.

As for first playthrough impressions. My first souls game was Demons Souls, so when I started Dark Souls I already knew the basics...but still I had a lot of difficult times.
Firstly yes, the game can be overwhelming...the thing is DS rewards caution and carefull exploration. Also to be played properly it requires you to understand how the rpg elements in the game work and that can be a challange at fist. I would say DS is one of the few games I recommend playing with a guide for the first time, not much for walkthoughs but to understand how character progression and equipment power ups work.
That said, I would recommend to approach Demon,DS,DS2 not much as action games but more as survival games. The key to beat the game is to utilise your resources at best and to minimize risks. As for boss fights it's very important to understand thier moveset, the environment, their weak points, if it gets to difficult it can be very usefull to experiment with different approaches.
Contrary to what 'purists' say it's not always fair and it has a lot of rough edges, but It's still my favourite single player game of last generation, regardless.

Last edited by freebs2 - on 24 January 2021

Perhaps you should try Bloodborne. Combat (and by extension movement) is faster and more agressive... and while there are definetly some narrow corridor areas, I would say they are generaly more open than in Dark Souls. Story is similarly vague, but I think it's easier to have a general grasp of what's going and what are you doing (although you definetly need to talk to NPCs, read items descriptions and such to get a better idea). And even if you don't really know what's going on... like on NPC will tell you, you shouldn't worry too much about it. At least at first. Oh, and while there are some RPG elements involved in your physical condition and your weapons (and they are worth understanding and playing with in order to get better at the game and have more options), they are not nearly as important as in Dark Souls.

Of course, Bloodborne is still a difficult game, there are some unfair situations and you will still die a lot. But I believe most of your complains with Dark Souls will either disappear or be somewhat reduced in Bloodborne.

freebs2 said:

Beforhand I think Demon't Souls and Dark Souls are excellent game, but at the same time I don't like very much From Software later games.

As for first playthrough impressions. My first souls game was Demons Souls, so when I started Dark Souls I already knew the basics...but still I had a lot of difficult times.
Firstly yes, the game can be overwhelming...the thing is DS rewards caution and carefull exploration. Also to be played properly it requires you to understand how the rpg elements in the game work and that can be a challange at fist. I would say DS is one of the few games I recommend playing with a guide for the first time, not much for walkthoughs but to understand how character progression and equipment power ups work.
That said, I would recommend to approach Demon,DS,DS2 not much as action games but more as survival games. The key to beat the game is to utilise your resources and to minimize risks. As for boss fights it's very important to understand thier moveset, the environment, its weak points, if it gets to difficult it's also usefull to experiment with different approaches.
Contrary to what 'purists' say it's not always fair and it has a lot of rough edges, but It's still my favourite single player game of last generation, regardless.

I think the characterization as survival more than action games seems about right.

I am not good at fast paced action games. I like the flashyness and the style of Bayonetta for instance, but the combat frustrates me and feels a lot harder than in souls games. That is because the pace of the fight overwhelms me. In Souls on the other hand I can plan out my moves and react to the enemy, as the combat is slowed down (probably what feels clunky about it). This is why Bayonetta, while overall an enjoyable game, fails to make my TOP 50, while Demon's Souls enters it.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]