By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What are the best Switch exclusives?

VAMatt said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Nintendo milk their fanbase with re-releases, the key serecet to enjoy Nintendo is to buy on hardware and skip the other :p 

I've always been an early adopter of Nintendo systems. But, I think those days are over for me. Going forward, I'm going to wait several years before purchasing Nintendo hardware to make sure that there is a sufficient catalog of games that I have not yet played. When we get to that point, if it looks like the next gen hardware is coming soon, I may well do as you suggest and skip a generation.

I really feel like Nintendo has not done right by those of us that were loyal and bought the Wii U.  We get to play the same games again and pay full price for them.  At the very least, they should have offered some sort of trade-in program where you send in your Wii U disc and get half price access to a digital Switch version of the game, or something like that.  For that matter, they could have just sent out discount codes to anyone that played the Wii U versions of the games prior to their release on Switch. Nintendo certainly has that information for the vast majority of us. 

I don't see a point of being an early adopter of any system tbh, but with Nintendo is specially true we need to wait at least 2 years. Handhelds are almost always guaranteed to be a hit and having decent support either 1st, 2nd or 3rd party, but home consoles tends to be more... erratic 

Switch is both, so I guess it's a middle ground. If next Switch hardware is home console only then I advice you to be cautious and don't let the hype consume you 

If it's more like a handheld I guess it's not really any options left in the market. Unless you stick gaming on Switch for many more years of course, which is not that bad a prospect 

Around the Network
GoOnKid said:
VAMatt said:

I've always been an early adopter of Nintendo systems. But, I think those days are over for me. Going forward, I'm going to wait several years before purchasing Nintendo hardware to make sure that there is a sufficient catalog of games that I have not yet played. When we get to that point, if it looks like the next gen hardware is coming soon, I may well do as you suggest and skip a generation.

I really feel like Nintendo has not done right by those of us that were loyal and bought the Wii U.  We get to play the same games again and pay full price for them.  At the very least, they should have offered some sort of trade-in program where you send in your Wii U disc and get half price access to a digital Switch version of the game, or something like that.  For that matter, they could have just sent out discount codes to anyone that played the Wii U versions of the games prior to their release on Switch. Nintendo certainly has that information for the vast majority of us. 

First bold: if you already have the game on Wii U and don't want to rebuy it, then simply don't rebuy it. The Switch versions are for people who don't own a Wii U. Those are new games for them.

Second bold: Has something like that ever existed in gaming?

I'm sure Xbox is doing smart delivery this gen. You buy a game on Xbone and will have it for free on Series X/S

GoOnKid said:
VAMatt said:

First bold: if you already have the game on Wii U and don't want to rebuy it, then simply don't rebuy it. The Switch versions are for people who don't own a Wii U. Those are new games for them.

I definitely do not buy re-releases of Wii U games.  That's my point.  Since I won't pay for the same games again, I don't get to play a Mario Kart, 2D Mario, etc. on Switch.  Those are the games that most people, myself included, buy Nintendo systems for.  Especially Kart.  That's their biggest series lately, and there isn't a new one on Switch.  Ridiculous, IMO.

As to the discount codes thing.... I'm not aware of such a thing ever happening.  Doesn't mean it, or something like it, can't happen.  As was noted, MS is doing better than that this gen by giving free upgrades.  

VAMatt said:
GoOnKid said:

I definitely do not buy re-releases of Wii U games.  That's my point.  Since I won't pay for the same games again, I don't get to play a Mario Kart, 2D Mario, etc. on Switch.  Those are the games that most people, myself included, buy Nintendo systems for.  Especially Kart.  That's their biggest series lately, and there isn't a new one on Switch.  Ridiculous, IMO.

As to the discount codes thing.... I'm not aware of such a thing ever happening.  Doesn't mean it, or something like it, can't happen.  As was noted, MS is doing better than that this gen by giving free upgrades.  

I see. Well, it's unfortunate that you can't find more games to play on the Switch. I hope there will be a few more someday.

Nintendo is certainly fortunate enough that the vast majority of Switch users didn't get to play Wii U games, and also because there are many people like me who don't have problem buying again 2 or 3 games from the old system. Well, the only games I have bought again are Bayo 1+2, Pikmin 3 and Child of Light, but I would honestly rebuy the latter two every chance I had presented to me.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network
Metallox said:

Nintendo is certainly fortunate enough that the vast majority of Switch users didn't get to play Wii U games, and also because there are many people like me who don't have problem buying again 2 or 3 games from the old system. Well, the only games I have bought again are Bayo 1+2, Pikmin 3 and Child of Light, but I would honestly rebuy the latter two every chance I had presented to me.

Pikmin 3 is such a joy!

Here are some recommendations based on what I've played.

S Rank (buy a Switch just because of this game)
Zelda: Breath of the Wild

A Rank (recommend to all Switch owners)
Mario Kart 8
Super Smash Bros Ultimate
Untitled Goose Game

B Rank (highly recommend if you like the genre)
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
Super Mario 35
Cadence of Hyrule
Wargroove
Octopath Traveler
Mario + Rabbids
Super Mario Party

C Rank (worth a look if you like the genre)
Arms
Super Mario Odyssey
Taiko no Tetsujin Drum n Fun
Super Mario Maker 2

D Rank (only try if you really love the genre)
none (yet)

E Rank (cannot recommend to anyone)
none (yet)

The_Liquid_Laser said:

E Rank (cannot recommend to anyone)
none (yet)

Pokemon Sword/Shield

What other systems do you own?

If you don't have an Xbox One/Series or gaming PC, then Ori & The Blind Forest and Ori & The Will of the Wisps are well worth getting.

Ka-pi96 said:
curl-6 said:

What other systems do you own?

If you don't have an Xbox One/Series or gaming PC, then Ori & The Blind Forest and Ori & The Will of the Wisps are well worth getting.

PC is my main platform, so it's only full exclusives that I'm interested in.

Another question though, what are game file sizes like? Been looking up how much the micro SD cards cost and some of them are pretty cheap, but 64GB and the like also sounds tiny to me.

64GB won't cut it in the long run; Nintendo's games don't have mandatory installs but a lot of third party games do. I'd recommend getting a 256GB card minimum.