By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch Data Analysis: May Update (NS has record best May Year 5)

Great graphs and tables! Very interesting! What does DAMA stand for again?

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:

Great graphs and tables! Very interesting! What does DAMA stand for again?

Hi @TruckOSaurus I am glad you enjoy them. I really enjoy making them as well. DAMA stands for Data Analysis Month Aligned. Basically it is my attempt at comparing two consoles that were released on different months. We should be able to have the new Profile for January very soon.

Hi everyone, here is the update for the fourth January of the Nintendo Switch. This was a very interesting month.

Key Highlights:

1) NS set a new personal record by selling 28.33M units in the past 12 months.

2) Month Aligned, the NS has outsold every other console in the past 5 months.

3) The gap with the DS increased this month in favor of the DS. It is a very tough battle.

4) The NS had the second highest January Year 4 of all consoles, surpassing the Wii that sold 1.5M

5) NS is 6% higher than what it sold last year, this is incredible as it had 4 weeks this year compared to 5 last year. In those same 4 weeks the NS sold 1.3M in 2020, that is a 27% increase.

6) The DS also had 5 weeks in year 4, in which it sold 1.59M or 4% less than what the NS sold. 

7) Adjusting for weeks, the NS sold 59K per day in January on average. Compared to the previous record of 55K set by DS.

8) NS sold 1M in February last year, if it maintains this momentum it should be able to easily surpass that. It will be interesting to see the impact of the new Mario game.

9)The record for Feb year 4 is held by the DS with 1.6M, it should be an interesting race to see if the NS is able to reach that number.

10) The record for most units sold in year 4 is held by DS with 27.9M, the NS needs a little over 0.6M in February to surpass that value.

11) The record for most units sold in any year is held by DS with 28.5M in year 5. The NS needs to sell over 1.2M To achieve that record.

here is a small chart that details how the NS can set new records:

I just saw this thread and it's very interesting! I'll be following to see what happens in February.

Playing Xenoblade 2 before I buy Xenoblade 3 (otherwise I couldn't wait to play 3).

Can they announce a new Fire Emblem? A remake of Genealogy or Tellius would suffice !

Very nice.. Good work.

It reminds me of this.. have you guys seen it.. Switch game sales made visual.. like a race :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoXMHDgk8ms

Around the Network
Olivernintentoal said:

I just saw this thread and it's very interesting! I'll be following to see what happens in February.

Hi @Olivernintentoal I am glad you enjoy it. The next few months are going to be very interesting for all consoles. Specially for the NS that will show us if there is a chance that it can outsell 2020.

FromDK said:

Very nice.. Good work.

It reminds me of this.. have you guys seen it.. Switch game sales made visual.. like a race :)

Hi @FromDK Thank you for sharing this video, it is awesome! a few things are very interesting:

1) The way new games shoot out like rockets and suddenly just slow down drastically.

2) The legs of Mario Kart 8, others have passed it, but in the end it just keeps going. I wonder if it will be able to outsell new horizon eventually.

3) I am glad to see Ring fit show up on the chart at the end. It is such a well made game that it wouldn't surprise me if it eventually out sells Zelda or Smash.

Please let me know if there are any interesting things you would like me to investigate and show on this thread. 

dmillos said:
Olivernintentoal said:

Hi @Olivernintentoal I am glad you enjoy it. The next few months are going to be very interesting for all consoles. Specially for the NS that will show us if there is a chance that it can outsell 2020.

FromDK said:

Very nice.. Good work.

Hi @FromDK Thank you for sharing this video, it is awesome! a few things are very interesting:

1) The way new games shoot out like rockets and suddenly just slow down drastically.

2) The legs of Mario Kart 8, others have passed it, but in the end it just keeps going. I wonder if it will be able to outsell new horizon eventually.

3) I am glad to see Ring fit show up on the chart at the end. It is such a well made game that it wouldn't surprise me if it eventually out sells Zelda or Smash.

Please let me know if there are any interesting things you would like me to investigate and show on this thread. 

Yes.. I would very much like Nintendo to release sales numbers this way.

Don't know.. can you make a "publisher pie" or mayby some about online subscribers?

Hi everyone, here is an interesting comparison of the Switch and PS5 weekly. Right now the Switch has a comfortable lead, but the PS5 can catch up as supply seems to be arriving.

This bar chart lets us see how close sales are. It seems like there is room for the PS5 can increase its weekly sales a bit more. 

Gap chart is in favor of the NS, as it has build up a 1.68M lead, the next few weeks should be interesting until it is the March launch of the NS and then this gap will be in favor of the NS at least for 3-4 months.

It important to highlight the weeks that I am comparing in this chart:

NSPS5
11/18/201711/14/2020
11/25/201711/21/2020
12/2/201711/28/2020
12/9/201712/5/2020
12/16/201712/12/2020
12/23/201712/19/2020
12/30/201712/26/2020
1/6/20181/2/2021
1/13/20181/9/2021
1/20/20181/16/2021
1/27/20181/23/2021
2/3/20181/30/2021
2/10/20182/6/2021

Hi everyone, here is the latest report. This was a fantastic month for the switch. We have a lot to cover. 

First of all, here is the Report:

Let's take a look at the goals for the Switch this month:

As you can see, it accomplished quite a good deal of records, Perhaps the most important was setting a new Month Aligned year record. Having sold 29.0M on year 4. (previous record was DS with 28.59M on year 5).

It also accomplished an almost impossible record of 1.7M in February year 4, barely beating out the DS (1.64M).

Now lets look at the Report by section:

1) The switch is 0.7M away from outselling the PSP.

2) 1.14M Away from outselling the GBA

3) It currently is outselling all consoles.

4) it is 1.3M in gap away from catching the DS

5) As previously said, set the February year 4 record.

6) It is up 64% from 2020

7) The record for Year 5 March is 1.3M by the DS. It should be able to shatter this record (it even has 5 weeks).

8) It needs to sell 2.5M to beat March 2020 (average of 500K units per week, but there is monster hunter).

9) Year 4 was able to reach 29M

How far can the Switch go this month? It will be a very exciting month!

Nice data as always. March should be also great, and as Monster Hunter Rise launches late in March even April should go well.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]