By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch Data Analysis: May Update (NS has record best May Year 5)

badskywalker said:
HigHurtenflurst said:

Turns out we were all wrong, March 2021 doesnt even exist, Switch, PS5 & XBS have put in some impressive December 2000 sales though.

Glad I'm not the only one that noticed

Lol, I didn't notice that... I wonder why something like that would happen... The weekly seems fine, it is just the monthly that went crazy. Hopefully it won't be something big, because as I understand the months are calculated automatically so maybe they can't be easily fixed.

Around the Network

Hi everyone, here is the March Update. (March had 5 weeks under my analysis)

There are several things to take a look at. It was an amazing month for the NS.

1) NS beat it's own record for most units sold in the past 12 months. It is now at 29.08M.

2) NS passed the alltime sales for the PSP and GBA

3)It was able to take a huge chunk of the Gap with the DS. Right now it is at 120k difference.

4)NS set the all console record for best March Year 5. It wasn't even close, the DS had 1.31M as the record, but NS sold 2.56M.

5)NS beat it's own March record, something that it is highly impressive. Given that it launched on March, then last year was somehow able to beat it and then this year it amazed with an even higher sales. (spoiler, March 2020 had 4 weeks).

6) Even though NS set a march record, april is going to be very far below. That extra week NS had this month goes to NS 2020 in april. Best case scenario we could see a range between 1.6M and 2.0M for april. 

7)DS will regain much of the Gap it lost this month, as it sold 2.9M on April Year 5.

Here is the summary table:

April should be a bit quiet with records, but NS is having a fantastic Year 5.

How far do you think NS will go in April?

dmillos said:

It's been 4 months now and I still don't understand your metric, your calculations or your comparisons, but yaay !

SKMBlake said:
dmillos said:

It's been 4 months now and I still don't understand your metric, your calculations or your comparisons, but yaay !

Lol, I am sorry, It is a bit of an obscure way to see things, but it general the idea is that I compare the same months of all consoles, independently from when they got released. Years for the switch start in March. Here is a DS and NS comparison:

As you can see highlighted,  I compare this month vs what the DS sold during it's March year 5. That way we avoid de double helix.

Hope this makes things a bit clearer.

SKMBlake said:
dmillos said:

Here is another example of why I like to see things this way. This is the NS vs PS4 gap charts. As you can see, the NS has always been ahead of the PS4, while with the launch aligned charts, it gave the idea that it was a back and forth race.

Let me know what you think.

Around the Network

Damn. Was hoping for 30mil fiscal year

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Eagle367 said:

It's still possible that it could happen for shipments.  We'll have to wait until Nintendo gives us their next financial report.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Eagle367 said:

It's still possible that it could happen for shipments.  We'll have to wait until Nintendo gives us their next financial report.

Good point. Excited to see the results and can't wait for shipment numbers.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

dmillos said:
SKMBlake said:

Here is another example of why I like to see things this way. This is the NS vs PS4 gap charts. As you can see, the NS has always been ahead of the PS4, while with the launch aligned charts, it gave the idea that it was a back and forth race.

Can you do one of these charts for Switch vs DS.

HigHurtenflurst said:
dmillos said:

Can you do one of these charts for Switch vs DS.

Hi @HigHurtenflurst , Sure, here it is. it is a very interesting graph:

Right now the NS is virtually tied with the DS, but here is what the next months look like for this battle:

April is 2.9M and NS should be about 1M below that, so the gap will take another dip.

After that, May and June should be a good battle.