By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch Data Analysis: May Update (NS has record best May Year 5)

or ask @trunkswd

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
dmillos said:
HigHurtenflurst said:

Can you do one of these charts for Switch vs DS.

Hi @HigHurtenflurst , Sure, here it is. it is a very interesting graph:

Right now the NS is virtually tied with the DS, but here is what the next months look like for this battle:

April is 2.9M and NS should be about 1M below that, so the gap will take another dip.

After that, May and June should be a good battle. 

Interesting, looks like Switch has a good chance to overtake DS in October (maybe September) but will probably lose the lead again as DSs biggest holiday was it's 5th Nov/Dec (already past this point launch aligned but not calendar month aligned)

Only chance Switch has of keeping the lead is if Nintendo manages to manufacture a shitload of supply for a new model, as 2008 DS holiday sales were insane.

HigHurtenflurst said:
dmillos said:

Hi @HigHurtenflurst , Sure, here it is. it is a very interesting graph:

Right now the NS is virtually tied with the DS, but here is what the next months look like for this battle:

April is 2.9M and NS should be about 1M below that, so the gap will take another dip.

Interesting, looks like Switch has a good chance to overtake DS in October (maybe September) but will probably lose the lead again as DSs biggest holiday was it's 5th Nov/Dec (already past this point launch aligned but not calendar month aligned)

Only chance Switch has of keeping the lead is if Nintendo manages to manufacture a shitload of supply for a new model, as 2008 DS holiday sales were insane.

I am very curious to see what happens these next few months. Switch sold 13.5M from april to october 2020. The DS sold 12.6M in the next 7 months. So the Switch has to keep up with sales from last year in order to pass the DS.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in launch aligned, there is still December 2008 left to be considered. This means that with the current Launch aligned graph, next month will compare this april for the NS with 7.7M from December 2008. This will make that graph have a gap greater than 9M in favor of the DS, while this graph will be at around 1.3M lead for the DS.

I agree that DS sales were insane, but I still think that NS can put up a fight this holiday. Anyways, it is going to be an exciting next few months. We could be in the middle of seeing history in the making.

dmillos said:

I am very curious to see what happens these next few months. Switch sold 13.5M from april to october 2020. The DS sold 12.6M in the next 7 months. So the Switch has to keep up with sales from last year in order to pass the DS.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in launch aligned, there is still December 2008 left to be considered. This means that with the current Launch aligned graph, next month will compare this april for the NS with 7.7M from December 2008. This will make that graph have a gap greater than 9M in favor of the DS, while this graph will be at around 1.3M lead for the DS.

I agree that DS sales were insane, but I still think that NS can put up a fight this holiday. Anyways, it is going to be an exciting next few months. We could be in the middle of seeing history in the making.

Yes my bad, next months launch aligned is April 2021 vs December 2008

dmillos said:
HigHurtenflurst said:

Can you do one of these charts for Switch vs DS.

What happened to make the DS get those kind of numbers in its 5th April, new model?

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
dmillos said:

What happened to make the DS get those kind of numbers in its 5th April, new model?

Yep, release of the DSi in US and Europe.

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish

Does anyone know the Switch's numbers from January 1 to December 31 in 2020 (so it's the calendar year, not fiscal year)? I'd imagine they are still crazy impressive but probably less than 29.08 million.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:

Does anyone know the Switch's numbers from January 1 to December 31 in 2020 (so it's the calendar year, not fiscal year)? I'd imagine they are still crazy impressive but probably less than 29.08 million.

Hi @Wman1996

Based on VGChartz HW by date (https://www.vgchartz.com/tools/hw_date.php?reg=Global&ending=Yearly), the Switch sold 28.3M in 2020. It is an incredibly high number, it's the second console to sell over 25M .

Hi everyone, I wanted to update the All time Record table, you may notice that the NS is in a couple of new spots. (Year 4 total, Feb Year4 and March Year 5)

dmillos said:
Wman1996 said:

Hi @Wman1996

Based on VGChartz HW by date (https://www.vgchartz.com/tools/hw_date.php?reg=Global&ending=Yearly), the Switch sold 28.3M in 2020. It is an incredibly high number, it's the second console to sell over 25M .

Thanks. The tool on this site slipped my mind for a moment. Yeah, that's really high numbers. That's right up there with the DS. While I still don't think the Switch will surpass the DS or PS2 lifetime sales, it is more than possible.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima