By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - December NPD 2020: Switch 2.1 million, PS5 800K, XBS 700K

Pretty crazy how the Dualsense is the best selling gamepad of the year.

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:

Pretty crazy how the Dualsense is the best selling gamepad of the year.

Controller sales are split up by color.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Valdney said:

The regular Switch has been short supplied in the USA. Numbers could have been better.

Everything is in short supply. 

I guess NPD cracked down on leaks with the start of the new gen. No numbers for a few months now aside from Nintendo's own PR in Oct/Nov.

mk7sx said:

I guess NPD cracked down on leaks with the start of the new gen. No numbers for a few months now aside from Nintendo's own PR in Oct/Nov.

Possibly. Although last January someone divulged figures for the whole June-Dec. period of 2019 near the end of that month. Hopefully that happens again. *sigh* I wish the NPD would go back to the good old days of the 00s where they'd regularly dish out hardware numbers and even a lot of software numbers themselves. Now they treat it like a matter of national security. If only Famitsu would start tracking U.S. sales...

Well, since we at least have a general idea of what the Switch did for December, I'm going to update my charts. Figures for December may be off by a couple of pixels from the actual figure for obvious reasons, but if and when we get the actual numbers it shouldn't make a huge difference. I'll post them some time after work tomorrow.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Around the Network

So anti climatic not getting numbers, especially with new hardware out. Oh well...

From source on ERA:
Dec:
Switch: ~2.1m
PS5: ~0.8m
XS: ~0.7m

Nov:
Switch: 1,36m
PS5: 1.14m
XS: ~0.8m

Top 5 retail titles (units):
Dec:
Cyberpunk 2077: ~1.2m
CoD: Black Ops: ~1.1m
NBA 2K21: ~0.8m
Animal Crossing: ~0.7m
Mario Kart: ~0.6m

Nov:
AC Valhalla: ~0.7m
Miles Morales: ~0.7m
NBA 2K21: ~0.4m
Hyrule Warriors: ~0.3m

Last edited by PDiddy - on 21 January 2021

PDiddy said:

From source on ERA:
Dec:

Nov:

Dec:

Nov:

No last gen numbers eh. Also did PS5/XBS beat PS4/XB1 from 2013 based on those numbers?

Edit: Also cool to get SW units for once. NBA 2k21 actually beat AC and Mario Kart at retail despite being lower in revenue.

The reverse might be true for Valhalla, Spiderman, and Madden. But they come with the digital caveat.

Last edited by Farsala - on 21 January 2021

Glad that we got numbers.

Farsala said:
PDiddy said:

From source on ERA:
Dec:

Nov:

Dec:

Nov:

No last gen numbers eh. Also did PS5/XBS beat PS4/XB1 from 2013 based on those numbers?

Nope. Disappointed, not gonna lie.

PS4 did over 2 million in 2013. XBO over 1.8 million.